Samsung updates Kies in anticipation of Android 2.3 for Galaxy S phones

Search This thread

mikey7436

Aug 11, 2010
The race to Android 2.3 updates is on. Yesterday several users started reporting that Samsung was rolling out a new version of Kies, the desktop software used to update Galaxy S phones. We were wondering what the latest release was for and it appears this update is laying the groundwork for Android 2.3 updates of the Galaxy S.

In a Facebook posting Samsung said, “You need this update to be able to get the 2.3.2 update to your Samsung Galaxy S, Vibrant, Fascinate. 2.3.2 will be worldwide but carriers will be delayed.”

Samsung previously said on their Romanian Facebook page that the Android 2.3 update would be out by the end of March. That has yet to occur, but it looks like things are on schedule now that the new Kies is out.

Just as we saw with the Android 2.2 updates, the international versions of the Galaxy S should be updated long before the US versions of the phone. The delays might have been the carriers fault, but Samsung took a real beating since they arrived so long after the competition.

Hopefully this time around Samsung will work more closely with the US carriers to ensure their phones are updated in a timely manner.

http://drippler.com/samsung-galaxy-...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebook-pages

Reactions: mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit

Oct 13, 2010
I am positively shocked that they mentioned the US versions on Facebook. Just checked Mini Kies for the Vibrant and it is updating.
If Sammy makes this happen soon (official Gbread) it will go a long way in ensuring repeat customers.

zarnax

Jan 12, 2011
Missouri
Would be nice...but some of us just got froyo...naturally I want it though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

Feb 6, 2011
What are the benefits of the update? All I've seen is speed. I don't need download speed - I use wifi and don't download much anyway - just a few apps. The speed I want is processor. Read my PDF files and books faster. I might not want it as the phone is working just the way I want it. How do you refuse it in that case?

I just looked it up and the only interesting thing is VOIP. I had that on a Nokia.

1. New user interface has a simple and attractive theme in black background, which is designed to give a vivid look while being power efficient too. Menu and settings are changed for ease of navigation.
Don't care - use my own photos as wallpaper

2. Redesigned soft keyboard is optimized for quicker and accurate text input and editing. And the word being edited and dictionary suggestion is vivid and easy to read.
Don't care about that, either.

3. Multi touch key cording to input number and symbols without changing input mode

PITA on the Blackberry

4. Selection of word and copy/paste made easy.
Don't use

5. Improved power management through application control.
Might be interesting

6. Provide user awareness on power consumption. Users can view how the battery is used and which consume more.
Same as above

7. Internet calling – supports SIP calls to other users with SIP account
Very interesting - But Skype over wifi works

8. Support Near-field communication (NFC) – high frequency high speech data transfer within a short range (10 cm). This will be useful feature in m commerce.
No

9. A new download manager facility that supports easy storage and retrieval of downloads

Have no problem now.

10. Support for multiple cameras

Mostly use separate camera - As far as I'm concerned, the 5mp camera in the Nokia C6 was superior to the one in the SGS4G.

I use the phone as a PDA/phone. I don't see much there to benefit me.

Z

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The race to Android 2.3 updates is on. Yesterday several users started reporting that Samsung was rolling out a new version of Kies, the desktop software used to update Galaxy S phones. We were wondering what the latest release was for and it appears this update is laying the groundwork for Android 2.3 updates of the Galaxy S.

In a Facebook posting Samsung said, “You need this update to be able to get the 2.3.2 update to your Samsung Galaxy S, Vibrant, Fascinate. 2.3.2 will be worldwide but carriers will be delayed.”

Samsung previously said on their Romanian Facebook page that the Android 2.3 update would be out by the end of March. That has yet to occur, but it looks like things are on schedule now that the new Kies is out.

Just as we saw with the Android 2.2 updates, the international versions of the Galaxy S should be updated long before the US versions of the phone. The delays might have been the carriers fault, but Samsung took a real beating since they arrived so long after the competition.

Hopefully this time around Samsung will work more closely with the US carriers to ensure their phones are updated in a timely manner.

http://drippler.com/samsung-galaxy-...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebook-pages