• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Samsung Z Fold 3 - Stuck in Retail Mode -- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

iwasraisedonedm

Dec 4, 2021
Bought the phone from someone on Offerup and the deal was too good to pass up...long story short the phone cannot uninstall or exit from retail mode and I wanted to know if there was a way to remove the retail mode / mdm account associated with it. The account cannot be removed by normal means and I have tried watching some youtube videos - default passwords did not work. I do know it is an AT&T phone from the way it boots.

antnyhills

Aug 6, 2012
UTAH
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Just a guess, but it may have been a stolen Demo unit. If so, my only guess to fix the issue is by manually flashing a fresh copy of the firmware through ODIN. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to do this. Just a heads up, I wouldn't be surprised if it may be tracked and or blacklisted if it were stolen.

Reactions: blackhawk

Jake.S

**** thanks for the heads up. thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
If this is a stolen device it is a crime to buy and keep stolen devices. I suggest you to give phone to local law enforcement and they can check for any registered match of stolen phones. If it turns out within a few weeks that the device is reported stolen then they will either send it back to store where it belongs or keep it as evidence. But if they find nothing, then they will contact you back and tell you to come and pick it up again. Which means you can keep it and then you may do reflash methods.

By doing this you have low chance for law enforcement to arrest you and think you stole it. Don't forget to tell them you bought it from a person through offerup and you noticed device is stuck in retailer mode. Which you suspect it might be a stolen demo device from AT&T store or something. So they won't think you stole it.

OJsakila

Mar 14, 2009
If this is a stolen device it is a crime to buy and keep stolen devices. I suggest you to give phone to local law enforcement and they can check for any registered match of stolen phones. If it turns out within a few weeks that the device is reported stolen then they will either send it back to store where it belongs or keep it as evidence. But if they find nothing, then they will contact you back and tell you to come and pick it up again. Which means you can keep it and then you may do reflash methods.

By doing this you have low chance for law enforcement to arrest you and think you stole it. Don't forget to tell them you bought it from a person through offerup and you noticed device is stuck in retailer mode. Which you suspect it might be a stolen demo device from AT&T store or something. So they won't think you stole it.
Solid ADULT and logical advice. THIS is the ONLY way to live your life. Good luck.

tigsandmitch

Nov 7, 2008
I thought retail demo units were missing hardware like the radios for signal?
why put it in if it has no intention of being used?

I could be wrong.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I would return it for a full refund if possible.
If purchased with a MC or Visa contact the bank to try to do a charge back to the vendor.
The bank requires the device be returned however advise them it appears to be stolen.
You may also want to file a complaint with your state attorney general's office.

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
Retail mode cannot be easily removed without the retailers passcode. There are some universal passcodes online you can try but most of them do not work anymore.

Reactions: OJsakila
That is where you are wrong. If the device is stolen, then he can be arrested for buying a stolen device. Since that is a crime
I bought plenty of stolen devices never got into any trouble how can you get into trouble when it's not your fault cops are not gonna come after you for a stolen phone when it's wasn't report stolen to began with and cops not gonna go after anyone stealing a phone unless it's was alot of phones

I bought plenty of stolen devices never got into any trouble how can you get into trouble when it's not your fault cops are not gonna come after you for a stolen phone when it's wasn't report stolen to began with and cops not gonna go after anyone stealing a phone unless it's was alot of phones
And I don't believe what people say that's just dumb stolen devices get sold all over the internet and on ebay and other sites

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It's not a victimless crime. I wouldn't be bragging...
5zje6g.jpg

Last edited:

Badger50

Simple Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Greetings to all. While I appreciate all members contributing to this thread, this is indeed something that we do not condone as per XDA Rule #9:

9. Don't get us into trouble.

Don't post copyrighted materials or do other things which will obviously lead to legal trouble. If you wouldn't do it on your own homepage, you probably shouldn't do it here either. This does not mean that we agree with everything that the software piracy lobby try to impose on us. It simply means that you cannot break any laws here, since we'll end up dealing with the legal hassle caused by you. Please use common sense: respect the forum, its users and those that write great code.

Thread closed.

Reactions: jeromepearce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings to all. While I appreciate all members contributing to this thread, this is indeed something that we do not condone as per XDA Rule #9:

9. Don't get us into trouble.

Don't post copyrighted materials or do other things which will obviously lead to legal trouble. If you wouldn't do it on your own homepage, you probably shouldn't do it here either. This does not mean that we agree with everything that the software piracy lobby try to impose on us. It simply means that you cannot break any laws here, since we'll end up dealing with the legal hassle caused by you. Please use common sense: respect the forum, its users and those that write great code.

Thread closed.
    **** thanks for the heads up. thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Solid ADULT and logical advice. THIS is the ONLY way to live your life. Good luck.
    Just a guess, but it may have been a stolen Demo unit. If so, my only guess to fix the issue is by manually flashing a fresh copy of the firmware through ODIN. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to do this. Just a heads up, I wouldn't be surprised if it may be tracked and or blacklisted if it were stolen.
    Retail mode cannot be easily removed without the retailers passcode. There are some universal passcodes online you can try but most of them do not work anymore.
    Don't return it nothing can happen to you bc it's not your fault
    That is where you are wrong. If the device is stolen, then he can be arrested for buying a stolen device. Since that is a crime