Samsung’s Good Lock app is a powerful lockscreen for your Galaxy S7 Edge

Search This thread

henklbr

Feb 20, 2009
Netherlands
www.sammobile.com
4jUIqU.jpg

Bored of the default lock screen on Android devices, and specifically the one on your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge? Samsung thinks you could do with a more powerful lock screen and has launched an app called Good Lock on the Galaxy Apps store. Supported on the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, Good Lock puts a ton of functionality right on your lock screen and notifications area.

From being able to keep some notifications in the notification shade for as long as you want to putting widgets on the lock screen for quick access, Good Lock offers a lot of features. It even replaces the notification shade with an interface straight from stock Android – a sign maybe that TouchWiz will one day be closer to Google’s version of Android (the removal of Samsung’s default music player from the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge is a big example of that possibility).

8qyML4.jpg

In fact, if Samsung does remove the app drawer from future iterations of TouchWiz, putting widgets and other advanced functionality on the lock screen would make sense, though whether Good Lock is truly useful in its current state depends on how keen you are on playing around with such customization. Good Lock is only available in the US for now, but we have the APK available for download for anyone who wants to try it out. There’s quite a lot inside Good Lock, and we’re currently testing it out for a full review.

Grab Good Lock from the Galaxy Apps store if you’re in the US or from the link below. In case you want to uninstall the app, you will have to head into its settings and hit the uninstall button as Good Lock replaces the entire lock screen and notification systems and can’t be removed like a regular app.

Download Good Lock APK

Source: SamMobile

Last edited:
F

Faspaiso

Mike installed just fine and rebooted. It worked for some time, but then it needed to reboot again and it was uninstalled. Can this be because I'm not in the US?

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
I'm using this now. There are things I like and things I don't, and things that I don't find useful at all. But the notification handling is a major improvement over current Marshmallow (Touchwiz or otherwize).

One major improvement, for me: I have a Tasker profile for home that, under Lollipop, turns off my lockscreen completely when I'm at home. Just push the power button or home button and I go directly to my home screen. No fingerprint, no pin, no swipe. Real handy. But it stopped working on the Edge with Marshmallow.

With Good Lock, the profile works correctly again!

Reactions: rocer

Mr. Kandi

Dec 2, 2010
Biel - Lausanne
Nice move from Samsung. I installed it and customized, I moved all the shortcuts from the LS and added a Weather Timeline Widget to quickly check the weather. The notification bar looks more like stock Android but I don't like the recent apps at all. I really like to take a quick glance on what showed on apps I recently used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160329-234241.jpg
    Screenshot_20160329-234241.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 11,623
  • Screenshot_20160329-234250.jpg
    Screenshot_20160329-234250.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 11,611
Reactions: skavi

Willyman

Aug 26, 2015
I liked it, but it's too early days for me to use as daily driver. It kept resetting the settings so was useless. I'm very interested to see where this goes though...

EDIT: nevermind... I had the default plus other routines thing messed up. Back in business.

Only thing I don't like now is the completely lack of color consistency going on between my Touchwiz theme and this Lockscreen stuff.

Last edited:

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
I've installed this on my S7 edge this morning and I'm pretty surprised that it changes the UI quite a bit, some of it I like and some I don't, there's still plenty of room for development but I think I will stick with it for a few days for now.

My mine gripe is the colour scheme is very inconsistent, I have changed the base colour but the shade seems off...

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
It would be pretty great if the location issues could be settled. The creating routine thing is a bit silly, but I'm loving the AOSP look and what not

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
Plusses and minuses, positives and negatives.....

I LOVE the notification handling. So superior to everything else it's not even close. I'd pay plenty for an app that brought these capabilities to my phone.

The fingerprint scanner is WAY faster now. Essentially instantaneous.

I hate the loss of the regular Samsung settings toggles and the ability to customize the toggles that are shown. Standard Android is a giant step backwards here. Fewer toggles, and no choice as to what ones are shown: how can anyone consider that an improvement? Only Googlely fan-boys who think any that comes out of Google is automatically superior.

I've come to like the recent apps screen, although the animation is a bit much. With "stock" Android, you can only fully see the one card at a time, and after a few days the stack of cards is so long it's a nightmare to find anything. It's actually easier to recognize an app icon than the glimpse of a screenshot as you scroll through cards, and I can find what I'm looking for faster with this approach than with cards..

On screen widgets are, yet again, stupidly implemented. Let me put a widget ON THE LOCK SCREEN, not on a hidden screen that I need to scroll to. With a fingerprint scanner it's easier to unlock the phone than to display a hidden lock screen. I'm not using this option at all. (Widget Locker got this right 4 or 5 years ago, but sadly doesn't seem to work on Marshmallow. Why can't Google and Samsung figure this out?)

On screen apps aren't quite as useless. You can swipe on an icon, then use the fingerprint scanner to open it, but it's at least as easy, and probably faster, to just use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone. And I'm not sure why a tap on the icon forces you to use a pin, while a swipe lets you use the scanner. Why not default to the scanner on a tap, too? It would be nice if you could open these apps without unlocking the phone, but be locked out of anything BUT that app (sort of like pinning). Again, Widget Locker got this right.

In spite of what some seem to think, the color scheme can be modified, and made pretty neutral and reasonable in settings. I'd like more granular control, but what's there is tolerable. You can also set your own lockscreen wallpaper.

On balance, I like it. It's clearly a work in progress, but notification handling alone is worth it.

Unfortunately, I've had to uninstall it. It's too buggy to be my daily driver. The home button doesn't always work, sometimes requiring two taps, occasionally not working at all. Sometimes tapping on a notification doesn't do anything at all. But when it works, the notification capabilities are brilliant, Brilliant, I say! I'm already missing it.

Reactions: maverick1103

stark1995

Feb 9, 2014
plus.google.com
Hey guys i got a bug since it has uninstalled by itself... Now my lockscreen is all black. I can't even see the shortcuts, but if i go to the settings the phone says that i got a wallpaper already set. Is there anyone with the same bug?
Sorry for my bad english
da6aed6631c79282013426641726d109.jpg
3a586a7680f7dbc1e83ca7abae21fb1b.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4jUIqU.jpg

Bored of the default lock screen on Android devices, and specifically the one on your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge? Samsung thinks you could do with a more powerful lock screen and has launched an app called Good Lock on the Galaxy Apps store. Supported on the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, Good Lock puts a ton of functionality right on your lock screen and notifications area.

From being able to keep some notifications in the notification shade for as long as you want to putting widgets on the lock screen for quick access, Good Lock offers a lot of features. It even replaces the notification shade with an interface straight from stock Android – a sign maybe that TouchWiz will one day be closer to Google’s version of Android (the removal of Samsung’s default music player from the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge is a big example of that possibility).

8qyML4.jpg

In fact, if Samsung does remove the app drawer from future iterations of TouchWiz, putting widgets and other advanced functionality on the lock screen would make sense, though whether Good Lock is truly useful in its current state depends on how keen you are on playing around with such customization. Good Lock is only available in the US for now, but we have the APK available for download for anyone who wants to try it out. There’s quite a lot inside Good Lock, and we’re currently testing it out for a full review.

Grab Good Lock from the Galaxy Apps store if you’re in the US or from the link below. In case you want to uninstall the app, you will have to head into its settings and hit the uninstall button as Good Lock replaces the entire lock screen and notification systems and can’t be removed like a regular app.

Download Good Lock APK

Source: SamMobile
    There is an update today to Good Lock...
    Is there an apk to sideload to the latest version, the April 18th?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6iht9dxqllchem/com.android.systemui_v24.0.7.apk?dl=0

Edited to add change log info. One noteworthy item is the ability to choose between cards or list for recent apps. You'll find it in Advanced settings.

06fa7e66b6d3578b505d50151cad62ed.jpg

d854f301ffc825c3bbef035ceb4cd892.jpg

Sent from my VZW S7 edge
    Then don't use it.

Or, maybe figure out how to make it look the way you want.

Don't break a sweat though. I'm sure it took longer for you to log in and type this criticism than it would for you to explore it.

If you don't want to change, then don't. We don't really care either way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using XDA Labs
    And here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9mwmqdnoiytdr3/com.android.systemui_v24.0.10.apk?dl=0

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

New transition for notification popups as well. They don't slide up toward the top of the screen anymore, they shrink toward their center. I know there's a proper name for the transition, but I can't remember it right now.
    i got a notification (via galaxy apps) that there is an update available for good lock.. but i cannot download it as I installed it from apk mirror (not available in my country). can someone upload the updated version?

No apk version of the new version?

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Your country is lucky we can not install in the Netherlands :crying:

Here you go uploaded it to Mega >>
    https://mega.nz/#!fZEkTBBK!mx6DjyskUoUZOiov53sS7_CJIJcPzNv8FOOuyR-a4Mc :)