Save Google Play Music to External SD(SOLVED FINALLY)

Search This thread

HellSassa69

Mar 4, 2009
I ve got a very strange behaviour here:

when I tap "choose music on deveice" it shows me the free space on my external sd.
But the files which are downloaded are duplicated in the app folder sdcard/Android... AND on my emmc/MusicCache Folder.

Whenever I delete files in one of the directotrys they get deleted in the other directory too! What am I doeing wrong?

lnxcat

Jul 12, 2012
Google music
4.3.606 from jelly bean, shift the directory to /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/

just change ur script accordingly will do

uTomi

Jan 3, 2009
Nyíregyháza

when I tap "choose music on deveice" it shows me the free space on my external sd.
But the files which are downloaded are duplicated in the app folder sdcard/Android... AND on my emmc/MusicCache Folder.

Whenever I delete files in one of the directotrys they get deleted in the other directory too! What am I doeing wrong?

Same probleme on my SGS3. Jelly Bean CM10 with new Play Music app. Download are duplicated! What is wrong?

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Unfortunately, as others have stated, files are merely duplicated to the external sd.

Also, the script breaks internal sd pc mounting.

skittles

Nov 10, 2007
Same probleme on my SGS3. Jelly Bean CM10 with new Play Music app. Download are duplicated! What is wrong?

I could use some help too. I am on the same device as Zion800

Unfortunately, as others have stated, files are merely duplicated to the external sd.

So basically what is happening is that the sdcard/android/... folder for gmusic no longer refers to a psychical location on your phone. The files in that location only exist in the new mounted location. So this normal behavior. The important thing is that your phone recognizes were the music files do actually exist psychicaly and counts the space towards the correct storage location( I.e. internal memory, SD card, external sdcard).

Now, are you finding duplicate entries in the app or just in the folder location using a file manager?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011

Tried this on my Droid3. I'm not having a problem with files being duplicated (yes, a file manager shows the same files in both locations, that's becuase the sdcard/... version is just a mount point for the sdcard-ext version), but I do seem to have a problem getting either location (sdcard or sdcard-ext) to appear in USB Mass Storage mode. Is that what you mean by " the script breaks internal sd pc mounting" ? I did get it to mount once after numerous tries but not again since then.

dj

Last edited:

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
. . . I do seem to have a problem getting either location (sdcard or sdcard-ext) to appear in USB Mass Storage mode. Is that what you mean by " the script breaks internal sd pc mounting" ? I did get it to mount once after numerous tries but not again since then.

dj

Yes.

mignamichele

Apr 23, 2011
On my Droid3 I had to leave the /mnt off. The mount points ARE in /mnt, but the mount didn't work if /mnt was included.

dj

Whit root explorer i find the folder where play music save the cache-->/data/data/com.google.Android.music/

So i change the script with:

mount -o bind /mnt/extSdCard/MusicCache/ /data/data/com.google.Android.music/
and dont'work

i try whitout "mnt":

mount -o bind /extSdCard/MusicCache/ /data/data/com.google.Android.music
and dont'work...
:confused::confused:

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
Whit root explorer i find the folder where play music save the cache-->/data/data/com.google.Android.music/

So i change the script with:

mount -o bind /mnt/extSdCard/MusicCache/ /data/data/com.google.Android.music/
and dont'work

i try whitout "mnt":

mount -o bind /extSdCard/MusicCache/ /data/data/com.google.Android.music
and dont'work...
:confused::confused:

Looks like you directory strucutre is very different than mine - sorry, I can't help.

In case anyone is interested, the patch does work with Hashcode's KEXEC Cynogen build. In fact, it works slightly better because at least the external card mounts as USB mass storage when connected to a computer. The internal storage still doesn't mount and neither mount with the stock ROM.

hlvs

Aug 31, 2012
Duplicate files

SAVE YOUR GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC OFFLINE MUSIC TO EXTERNAL SDCARD
So I've been researching this issue for a long long time and have tried so many different approaches. I've finally found one that works! You can now save your google play music to your external sd instead of the internal sdcard.

This is based on the post found here. Please go and thank the original author. This will probably work on any phone.

So what this basically does is mount the google play music cache to a directory on your external SD on boot.

Requirements:
1. Root
2. external SD(obviously)

Steps

1. Using whatever task manager you have or just go into settings->apps->running, close google play music.
  2. Open your file manager and browse to /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache and delete all of the files found in music dir and artwork dir in this directory. This is very important step. If you do not delete your cache then your files will take up space but will no longer be available after this process.
  3. Browse to the root diretory of your external sdcard and create a directory called "MusicCache".
  4. Browse to the root of your internal sdcard and create a text file called "MusicScript.txt".
  5. Using your favourite text editor open the the file and past the following: "mount -o bind /emmc/MusicCache/ /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/" and the save the file. Please note that if your using stock room, then /emmc/ might be /external-sd/. Please make sure to check the directory name for your external sd and replace /emmc/ with whatever your external sd directory is named.
  6. Go to the google play store and install script manager - Smanager. Open smanager, and on first open you should see an option to select root, check that option and click ok and make sure to grant root to the app when the su dialog appears.
  7. In Smanager browse to the root of your sdcard and click on and hold the "MusicScript.txt" to open a options dialog. Select "open as" and then select "Script/Executable".
  8. Then Select "Su" and "Boot" and hit save.
  9. You might not need this stop but it might solve some issues. Go to settings app->apps->google play music-> and hit clear data.
  10. Reboot your phone.
  11. Open up google play music and click on Choose on device music, and you should see the total space available equal to what is available on your external SD Card
  12. (Optional) Hamster dance.

Note: While downloading all of your music offline you may want to go to the settings app->developer options->check Keep Awake to keep the phone awake while charging so that the phone won't go to sleep. I did this so that I could finish up the download while keeping my phone charger connected. You should definitely turn this option off after your done.

**I assume no responsibility if this damages your device in any way**

First of all thanks for the guide. I used it and it seems it works. Now if I open Google Play Music and then Choose music on device, it shows the available space on the external SD card.
But now the files are in both locations: in the external SD (the folder MusicCache) and in the internal SD (/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/cache). Is it a normal behavior? Physically the files are only in the external SD card or in both the locations?

My phone is a Galaxy S2 and the Google play music's release is the 4.3.606.400990.

Thank you again

Last edited:

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
pardon me if this has been mentioned before.

I was interested in doing this so I could use the music I purchased from the Play Store on other music players that I prefer.
I went to the Music Play store on my PC and saw that it allows two downloads of every song that you have in your library. The download is in mp3 format and it comes with all the correct tags and album art. Even allows you to select all songs in an album at once to download the whole album. Then I can just transfer them to my external sd card.

Didn't know if that was common knowledge, as I just ran across it today. It just seemed less troublesome that digging into the files on the phone.
(yes, I see how this mod is great if you don't have access to a PC)

Last edited:

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
First of all thanks for the guide. I used it and it seems it works. Now if I open Google Play Music and then Choose music on device, it shows the available space on the external SD card.
But now the files are in both locations: in the external SD (the folder MusicCache) and in the internal SD (/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/cache). Is it a normal behavior? Physically the files are only in the external SD card or in both the locations?

My phone is a Galaxy S2 and the Google play music's release is the 4.3.606.400990.

Thank you again

I believe yes, it's normal. What I think you are seeing is the external directory mounted at the internal mount point. If you enter the internal directory you are actually entering the mounted directory on the external card.

Reactions: dkjwong

silex.usa

Jul 15, 2011
Newest Music version - new storage location

My music is being stored at: /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache. I have tried wiping google music and reverting to the version that came pre-installed. If I then start caching music it goes to the internal SD card at Andriod/data/com.google.android.music/cache like everyone is talking about here. If I then update to the latest version of Google Music: v4.3.609.436083 it begins storing all of the music at /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache again. If I move the music files to the location on my internal SD card where the other files were properly cached Google Music ignores them and begins re-downloading files into data/data This is a real problem as this area of the phone has even less space than the internal SD card. I am really beginning to regret my investment in a 64GB SD card (I am on a Galaxy S3). I am thinking this is new for all versions going forward because of music licencing? I can't see how they can expect us to share 2gb of space with all of our music and Apps. Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

hlvs

Aug 31, 2012
I believe yes, it's normal. What I think you are seeing is the external directory mounted at the internal mount point. If you enter the internal directory you are actually entering the mounted directory on the external card.

Yes I think so. I checked the available space on my phone (settings->memory) after the download of some music by google play music. Although the songs are in both locations, only the available space of the external sd is less than before.

tomcat84

May 20, 2010
Not sure if Im being stupid now, but everything described in the opening post seems way too complicated to me...

I have done the following on my Galaxy S3 and it works just fine:

ln -s /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusicCache/cache /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache

(Folder names may vary. I have not typed this manually, but I used Root Explorer to create the link. Should be the same thing.)

Reactions: Cyruss89

Altair8800

Jul 19, 2012
New York
Not sure if Im being stupid now, but everything described in the opening post seems way too complicated to me...

I have done the following on my Galaxy S3 and it works just fine:

ln -s /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusicCache/cache /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache

(Folder names may vary. I have not typed this manually, but I used Root Explorer to create the link. Should be the same thing.)

Could you please explain how did you create the link? What should I do if I I ever want to remove the link? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAVE YOUR GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC OFFLINE MUSIC TO EXTERNAL SDCARD
    So I've been researching this issue for a long long time and have tried so many different approaches. I've finally found one that works! You can now save your google play music to your external sd instead of the internal sdcard.

This is based on the post found here. Please go and thank the original author. This will probably work on any phone.

So what this basically does is mount the google play music cache to a directory on your external SD on boot.

Requirements:
    1. Root
    2. external SD(obviously)

Steps

1. Using whatever task manager you have or just go into settings->apps->running, close google play music.
    2. Open your file manager and browse to /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache and delete all of the files found in music dir and artwork dir in this directory. This is very important step. If you do not delete your cache then your files will take up space but will no longer be available after this process.
    3. Browse to the root diretory of your external sdcard and create a directory called "MusicCache".
    4. Browse to the root of your internal sdcard and create a text file called "MusicScript.txt".
    5. Using your favourite text editor open the the file and past the following: "mount -o bind /emmc/MusicCache/ /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/" and the save the file. Please note that if your using stock room, then /emmc/ might be /external-sd/. Please make sure to check the directory name for your external sd and replace /emmc/ with whatever your external sd directory is named.
    6. Go to the google play store and install script manager - Smanager. Open smanager, and on first open you should see an option to select root, check that option and click ok and make sure to grant root to the app when the su dialog appears.
    7. In Smanager browse to the root of your sdcard and click on and hold the "MusicScript.txt" to open a options dialog. Select "open as" and then select "Script/Executable".
    8. Then Select "Su" and "Boot" and hit save.
    9. You might not need this stop but it might solve some issues. Go to settings app->apps->google play music-> and hit clear data.
    10. Reboot your phone.
    11. Open up google play music and click on Choose on device music, and you should see the total space available equal to what is available on your external SD Card
    12. (Optional) Hamster dance.

Note: While downloading all of your music offline you may want to go to the settings app->developer options->check Keep Awake to keep the phone awake while charging so that the phone won't go to sleep. I did this so that I could finish up the download while keeping my phone charger connected. You should definitely turn this option off after your done.

**I assume no responsibility if this damages your device in any way**
    Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean

SGH-T999 (4.1.1)
    Google Play Music (Version 4.4.811H.526848)

Open Settings > Application manager > All > Google Play Music
    2. Select "Force stop" and "Clear data"
    3. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
    4. Create the following folder on your SD card /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusic/files
    5. Tap and hold the folder named "files" until menu appears, and select "Create shortcut" at the bottom of the list
    6. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music/
    7. Select "Create" and the "files" folder should be linked
    8. Open "Play Music" app and sync
    9. Select "Choose on device music" and it should show the available space on your sd card
    10. Profit

tl;dr the directory where music is stored has changed from /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache to /data/data/com.google.android.music/files for both music and artwork
    I think you all are really over-thinking this...

I found the absolute best and easiest way is by using symlinks. This can be accomplished with ROM Toolbox [Root Browser], without the need of scripting/commands/etc.

0. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
    1. Make a folder in your desired location (sdcard) called "Music" or something to that sort.
    2. Tap and hold, select the option "Create Shortcut" at the bottom
    3. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music/
    4. Paste (to create the shortcut)
    5. Delete the "cache" folder in this directory
    6. Rename the shortcut to "cache"
    7. Enjoy!
    Using Root Explorer on Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint (Stock)

SGH-T999 (4.1.1)

3. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
    4. Create the following folder on your SD card /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusic/files
    5. Tap and hold the folder named "files" until menu appears, and select "Create shortcut" at the bottom of the list
    7. Select "Create" and the "files" folder should be linked
    9. Select "Choose on device music" and it should show the available space on your sd card
    10. Profit

tl;dr the directory where music is stored has changed from /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache to /data/data/com.google.android.music/files for both music and artwork

Thank you very much. I did this almost to the letter on my Samsung S3 on Sprint using stock rom. I used root explorer to create the folders. Here were the different steps from the above list.

3. Open Root Explorer
    4. Create the following folder path on your SD card (/mnt/extSdCard) :/GoogleMusic/files
    5. Tap and hold the folder named "files" until menu appears, and select "Link to this folder" at the bottom of the list
    7. Hit the "Create Link" button at the bottom and the "files" folder should be linked to the location sitting on your external sdcard.
    10. Verify files and folders after initial sync has completed. You should see the artwork and mp3 files if you're temporarily caching files in there.

I did the above because I didn't want all my cached music to hang around on the internal storage. I've got a 32gb class 10 card coming and that should give enough headroom for my use! :) Without the Google music option to temporarily cache music, the playback is pretty inconsistent here in the NH area. Caching it tends to allow the player to...well...play!

Thanks to the OP of the instructions. I just wanted to throw my experience with Root explorer in there for anyone if they need it.
    I found the absolute best and easiest way is by using symlinks. This can be accomplished with ROM Toolbox [Root Browser], without the need of scripting/commands/etc.

0. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
    1. Make a folder in your desired location (sdcard) called "Music" or something to that sort.
    2. Tap and hold, select the option "Create Shortcut" at the bottom
    3. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music/
    4. Paste (to create the shortcut)
    5. Delete the "cache" folder in this directory
    6. Rename the shortcut to "cache"
    7. Enjoy!

I wanted to say thanks, I did this (Downloaded Rom Toolbox Lite) and used the Root Browser, on my Rooted Galaxy S3 running stock Rogers ICS. Took under 2 minutes, and verified it's working.

I tried to do it using root explorer but the shortcuts seems to have a bug and wasn't able to create it, downloading root browser was the trick.

thanks!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone