• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SC-02C] Japan NTT DoCoMo Galaxy S II Users

Search This thread

R3wt3d

May 11, 2011
chrono1g said:
i'm still trying to figure out how to get 3G to work with my docomo SG2 on AT&T....

Which bands should i click on exactly? when i click on the WCDMA 1900Mhz II, it seems to uncheck everything else that was checked before. i am unable to check both 850mhz gsm and 1900 II WCDMA. do i click on the "automatic" or "combi"?

i also dont know what to set my preferred network type to. right now it is at "GSM?CDMA auto (PRL)

well I tried this and is a bit confusing

try this

click Auomatic
hit menu and then back
click ombi bands
click [6] Wcdma 1900
hit menu then back

hit menu then back again
click [2] wcdma bands
verify that [3] wcdma 1900 has [*]
hit menu then END

And if u want to use 3g make sure u are connected with w-cdma and not gsm. so change network from gsm/wcdma to wcdma only.
set apn aswell to correct one.

to use 850Mhz u prolly need to burn at&t modem.bin, not sure on that. u might ask in other thread.

Sent from my Xoom

Last edited:

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
850Mhz is V , VI is 800Mhz.
http://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-CDMA

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

800/850 have historically been used interchangably when talking about these two bands range, it creates a lot of confusion but unless you talk about the band designation (the roman numeral) you can never be sure which one a particular person is referring to. (In addition band VI, which is only used in Japan, is not very well known)

Last edited:

Devowa

Jun 18, 2010
800/850 have historically been used interchangably when talking about these two bands range, it creates a lot of confusion but unless you talk about the band designation (the roman numeral) you can never be sure which one a particular person is referring to. (In addition band VI, which is only used in Japan, is not very well known)

Does't matter. I don't care the history as well as the band number.

People here who is asking about the band just wants to know which one they can use.
And I am sure about it and I know what I'm taking about.
youre the one who needs to read the wiki link which I post.

Just stop confusing people with the stupid band. show off your unnecessary infos.
Yes, maybe you have lotta knowledges. I respect you about that. But just don't confuse people.

People need a simple answer.

Otherwise, he/she would be like
'"Tri band phone", wth this is nerd talking about? I just wanted to know about WCDMA band which I should select"'

Last edited:

R3wt3d

May 11, 2011
Devowa said:
Does't matter. I don't care the history as well as the band number.

People here who is asking about the band just wants to know which one they can use.
And I am sure about it and I know what I'm taking about.
youre the one who needs to read the wiki link which I post.

Just stop confusing people with the stupid band. show off your unnecessary infos.
Yes, maybe you have lotta knowledges. I respect you about that. But just don't confuse people.

People need a simple answer.

Otherwise, he/she would be like
'"Tri band phone", wth this is nerd talking about? I just wanted to know about WCDMA band which I should select"'

u should post english link and not Japanese...

Sent from my SC-02C

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
FYI, I've built two recovery packages this weekend.

#1 is for people who have just been running rooted but need to go back to factory standard for service. It does not touch baseband, sbl or pbl but does set kernel and system to factory standard and wipes data.

#2 is a bit more dangerous. It will reflash everything except PBL and is intended for the person who has really screwed things up but can still get into download mode.

At this point I haven't tested them yet as my SC-02C is my only docomo handset and I have to be traveling for most of the next two weeks and don't have a docomo-branded backup that I can swap my sim into in case I screw up (don't really care to pay the higher data charge for 2 months using an unbranded handset).

If anyone is really motivated to try them before I get a chance I can upload them, but I'm really hesitant to do so unless you both have a jig and know how to recover from anything short of a bootloader-bricked phone. I should have them tested by second week of august in any case.

I've been looking at my images and it looks like my backup SBL (0p3) is still blank. I'm probably going to flash a copy of 0p2 into it before trying these images just in case.

(Now watch docomo release an update this week and make all this work pointless)

Last edited:

JuNyA8971

Jul 11, 2011
Yokosuka

#1 is for people who have just been running rooted but need to go back to factory standard for service. It does not touch baseband, sbl or pbl but does set kernel and system to factory standard and wipes data.

#2 is a bit more dangerous. It will reflash everything except PBL and is intended for the person who has really screwed things up but can still get into download mode.

At this point I haven't tested them yet as my SC-02C is my only docomo handset and I have to be traveling for most of the next two weeks and don't have a docomo-branded backup that I can swap my sim into in case I screw up (don't really care to pay the higher data charge for 2 months using an unbranded handset).

If anyone is really motivated to try them before I get a chance I can upload them, but I'm really hesitant to do so unless you both have a jig and know how to recover from anything short of a bootloader-bricked phone. I should have them tested by second week of august in any case.

I've been looking at my images and it looks like my backup SBL (0p3) is still blank. I'm probably going to flash a copy of 0p2 into it before trying these images just in case.

Nice work! I would love to test them for you but like you I have only one SGS2. This would be nice to have.

robotsapiens

Jul 6, 2011
Since I'm not Docomo, I was wondering... did they release anything?

Besides the OS from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4, do you think they will update the kernel and modem to KG2 or KG3?

Lastly, if they change to KG2 or KG3, would it be possible for any of you to make one of those modem.bin files to flash on my non-docomo SC-02C? Im softbank:p Tadatomo!

dejanet

Nov 5, 2006
Yokosuka, Ja

I can test both of them if you like I have two Galaxy II's and a jig so I'm almost bullet prof.

tim

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
RESOLVED: Battery drain issue

I am having the same issues and thought that, initially, there was something wrong with my battery. I removed the wallpaper and just use a black screen background all the time and it appears to have helped significantly. But even after I did this I went to Docomo and had the battery checked. They said that the battery is fine. I am not really doing anything with this phone except checking emails and viewing web pages. So I started thinking about other possibilities for excessive battery drainage. Before changing background my average charge only lasted for 6 hours and after keeping it black it has gone up to 9 hours.

Spent over two hours with Docomo recently trying to resolve my issues and finally go it fixed. BAD SIM CARD.
Docomo swapped out my unit for me right on the spot and I was still having connectivity issues. Then we setup a brand new FOMA (SIM card) for the device with all of my info, plugged it in and BAM - working like a charm now. Now I can see how fast this thing really is.

mrsamo

Jul 27, 2011
Hi Guys, I signed up specifically to find out if I can buy the SGIIs and use it under Softbank's network.

I live in Japan and have the option of buying outright as a second hand (there's a couple near where I live) or via Docomo. I have more friends on Softbank so the free softbank to softbank calling appeals to me greatly (SMS is also free). Plus I want to use the internet on the move. Can anyone advice what would be the best option for me in this case? I really want to use the Softbank network even though the reception may not be as good, I'll take free SB calls anyday. I heard there is BPlan (?), which offers unlimted internet(and I can use Skype on this as well), does the SGIIs take 2 SIM cards?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

ManInCamo

May 24, 2008
Hi Guys, I signed up specifically to find out if I can buy the SGIIs and use it under Softbank's network.

I live in Japan and have the option of buying outright as a second hand (there's a couple near where I live) or via Docomo. I have more friends on Softbank so the free softbank to softbank calling appeals to me greatly (SMS is also free). Plus I want to use the internet on the move. Can anyone advice what would be the best option for me in this case? I really want to use the Softbank network even though the reception may not be as good, I'll take free SB calls anyday. I heard there is BPlan (?), which offers unlimted internet(and I can use Skype on this as well), does the SGIIs take 2 SIM cards?

The phone should work, I've used quadband phones with softbank prepaid SIM before, but I haven't tested the GS2 to verify -- wait for someone smarted on the GSM bands to come along and verify. I'm sure you'll need to change the APN information, but that's available available at softbanksucks.blogspot.com.

that said, no the SG2 does not take 2 SIM cards.

Reactions: mrsamo

kamandor

Apr 28, 2011
well I tried this and is a bit confusing

try this

click Auomatic
hit menu and then back
click ombi bands
click [6] Wcdma 1900
hit menu then back

hit menu then back again
click [2] wcdma bands
verify that [3] wcdma 1900 has [*]
hit menu then END

And if u want to use 3g make sure u are connected with w-cdma and not gsm. so change network from gsm/wcdma to wcdma only.
set apn aswell to correct one.

to use 850Mhz u prolly need to burn at&t modem.bin, not sure on that. u might ask in other thread.

Sent from my Xoom

Nevermind figured this out.

Last edited:

robotsapiens

Jul 6, 2011

mrsamo, I can assure you that it works with Softbank. I bought a SC-02C at Rakuten, with SIM lock 1 month ago. Then, unlocked at NTT shop for 3150 en (you only need identification) and plugged my Softbank card and it is already possible to make phonecalls and send/receive SMS. I rooted and installed Litening ROM afterwards (which looks very nice with Special Theme Green!)

For MMS (S!Mail) and internet plans, you will have to search the web (or ask me when you need it), cause depending on your plan it is better to use some specific APNs (basically, smartphones use one APN with 3G, called andglobal, and normal phones use HSDPA, called opensoftbank, and they have different settings).

The important is that you can trust this forum to help you solve your problems.

Reactions: mrsamo

gaikokujin

Jun 25, 2011
Hakodate
screen burn

Hi! I bought my GS2 with Docomo the day it was launched and I have been enjoying it. One little problem, after using the Widget Locker application, I noticed a round circle near the lower right side of the screen, excactle the same shape and position as one of the circular shortcut from Wideget Locker. I uninstalled and waited a few days but it was still there, although barely visible. I went to the docomo shop today and the lady was as surprised as embarrassed and even checked her own GS2 to look for screen burns. Interestingly enough the demonstration model has a permanent screen burn of the dock bar (probably since the screen is always turned on).
Anyway, they agreed to change it for free. Before I do that, any application to backup it up on my SD card? Will the default back up app also save my accounts, settings and passwords? Any advice on how to avoid screen burns once I get my new handset?

mrsamo

Jul 27, 2011
mrsamo, I can assure you that it works with Softbank. I bought a SC-02C at Rakuten, with SIM lock 1 month ago. Then, unlocked at NTT shop for 3150 en (you only need identification) and plugged my Softbank card and it is already possible to make phonecalls and send/receive SMS. I rooted and installed Litening ROM afterwards (which looks very nice with Special Theme Green!)

For MMS (S!Mail) and internet plans, you will have to search the web (or ask me when you need it), cause depending on your plan it is better to use some specific APNs (basically, smartphones use one APN with 3G, called andglobal, and normal phones use HSDPA, called opensoftbank, and they have different settings).

The important is that you can trust this forum to help you solve your problems.

Now you've given me hope! I've just about given up on the SGIIs because it just seemed impossible to use softbank services unless I use a prepaid card. There is a second hand store near me that is selling the SGIIs, can I really use Softbank network with it? (ie. 980 white plan + 4400 yen full internet access?).

I'd like to know how this is done because the Softbank representative tells me this is impossible.

mrsamo

Jul 27, 2011
The phone should work, I've used quadband phones with softbank prepaid SIM before, but I haven't tested the GS2 to verify -- wait for someone smarted on the GSM bands to come along and verify. I'm sure you'll need to change the APN information, but that's available available at softbanksucks.blogspot.com.

that said, no the SG2 does not take 2 SIM cards.

I have a current Softbank prepaid card (3000 yen) working on my old Samsung Omnia HD phone, but I can't send messages or browse the internet (and phone calls are ridiculously expensive).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NTT DoCoMo SC-02C FAQ in progress, coming soon...

Q: What is the difference between the SC-02C and other Galaxy S II models?
    A: The FM radio on the "international I9100" is missing, and in its place is an ISDB-T digital TV receiver. (Similar to but using a different broadcast protocol as the DMB receivers in the korean M250 models) The SC-02C does not have NFC capabilities, like all models except the M250.

Q: How can I unlock the SC-02C?
    A: The unlock used for other early Galaxy S II models will not work on the SC-02C. You can have the handset unlocked at your nearest DoCoMo shop for 3150 yen (tax-inclusive). This does not supposed to affect your monthly billing.

Q: Where can I find original SC-02C firmware if I need to return the handset for service?
    A: There is not an official version of the OMKF2 firmware that the earliest released handsets came with, however you may obtain a copy of the first update, OMKG5, here.

Q: What is the current version firmware?
    A: The final firmware version is OMMP7 (Android 4.0.3)

Q: What's the deal with tethering?
    A: If you use tethering (i.e. mobile access point) you may find your monthly pakehodai charge has increased to 10,395 yen/mo. Its suspected that turning the built-in tether feature switches you invisibly to a different APN which generates an increase on the bill.

Q: How do I activate the Palette UI that Docomo is advertising?
    A: Use the 'Home Switcher' application or clear the defaults for 'TwLauncher' in Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

Q: Can I use I9100 images (and custom ones) on the SC-02C (or vice-versa)?
    A: To an extent yes, there are a couple issues:
    1. The kernel/baseband must be for SC-02C or else you will lose GPS/One-Seg functionality. (You can generally flash these back after installing a custom image)
    2. The SC-02C has a different partition layout, FACTORYFS is 100MB larger than I9100 and HIDDEN is 100MB smaller. The disk usage on the current OMxxx images does not exceed the size of the I9100 partition, however it is VERY close and the SC-02C's partition table was likely laid out different to allow for additional growth.
    The bad news is that Docomo firmwares do not contain an Sbl.bin file, so you can not fix your boot logo that way. The good news is that someone ripped the Sbl.bin file from their phone over a year ago, this one also works with the usb jig. So it's a win/win. You can download it from my DropBox go to the !SC-02C folder, download SBL-SC02COMKF2.zip extract it and flash the tar with odin.

I did the same thing as you, this is how I fixed it. Also if you'd like to use the GPS/compass fix and get some nice tweaks as well, youy can flash my mod in my DropBox's Simmo's Mod folder. Download the zip file with Siyah in the name, and install with ClockworkMod.

Good luck.

hello, Im a user of Docomo SC-02C GS2, can u help me?
    I flashed a firmware of european model and now I lost the "Docomo" logo at the boot.
    I think it is because I had flashed the file includes "boot.bin", and "sbl.bin".

Now I can flash the original firmware (from SC-02C_DCM_SC02COMKG5_SC02CDCMKG5_SC02COMKG5.exe) without problem.

This is the current Version on my phone:
    PDA: SC02COMKG5
    PHONE: SC-2COMKG5
    CSC: SC02CDCMKG5

Build Info: Sat Jul 16 06:05:10 KST 2011

There is no problem to use the telefone.
    But at the boot of the telefone, it shows "Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100". (Before was "Docomo" ....)

Can you tell me how to rebranding to a original docomo-logo (it maybe caused by european boot.bin??)

Thank you.
    Now siyah kernel support both international i9100 and SC-02C in a single kernel image.Just download the latest version from gokhanmoral's web site and add a script in /system/etc/init.d/ gps will work for SC-02C.

Code:
    #!/sbin/busybox sh
    echo 16 > /proc/sys/kernel/rom_feature_set
    sleep 5
    chown root.system /sys/class/sec/gps/GPS_PWR_EN/value
    chmod 664 /sys/class/sec/gps/GPS_PWR_EN/value
    A CWM flashable script:
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/s/g47a9r0dz14w0wj/S99FixNTTGPS.zip
    Flash CM10 rom,then kernel build by me,then ics compass fix,that's all.
    You may wipe cache and data。
    If you use sc-02c stock rom,you should remove assert script in CM10 rom(Open the zip, go to META-INF/com/google/android/update-sctipt. Remove the top 6 lines with the assert then repack).
    @wjchen0: Did you flash CM10 rom cook for I9100 version first, or just flash CM10 kernel that you built?
    I want to enjoy JB as soon as posible... Can't wait for Docomo support :((
    Thank you very much for your reply, currently my phone use
    DXLP7
    [email protected]#2
    I am going to root my phone to use root explorer.
    so as your instruction, i have to download xxxOMKL4xxx.tar file and use root explorer to copy the files as you mentioned to the phone right?
    Many Thanks

You should rename sensors.*.so(sorry I forgot the name) to sensors.GT-i9100.so or sensors.default.so first,then just replace the files.
    Here is siyah kernel and speedmod kernel for sc-02c ics compiled by me, GPS works fine.I hope this can help.
    blogger.wjchen.co.cc/?p=29001