[SC-02C] Japan NTT DoCoMo Galaxy S II Users

Search This thread

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
I was looking at the structure of a full samsung rom image. This is what it contains:

boot.bin
Sbl.bin
param.lfs
factoryfs.img
zImage
hidden.img
cache.img
modem.bin

With regard to factoryfs, rfs is a red herring - its an old samsung-specific filesystem type for the S1 that's not used on the shipping roms for the S2. S2 images are ext4 AFAIK based on looking at the .rc files on github.

cache.img in a full rom image just contains what's necessary to reinitialize things. Our "full-rom" odin image should probably contain such a cache.img.

Sbl.bin can probably be a rip from 0p2. In theory odin should always flash the "inactive" SBL (one that's not being used presently) so you can recover with a usb jig if the SBL is faulty.

I want to look at the source for heimdall to see if I can find any reference to where boot.bin goes and what hidden actually is.

Regarding the TV app, have you tried remounting /system rw and adb pushing it there, then rebooting?

Last edited:

nakagusukumike

Jul 31, 2010
Tomigusuku
blacklinux.com
i just remounted the fs then copied the files. Also tried "installing" from a copy of the APK in the sdcard, but no dice.

mount -o remount rw /system
chmod 644 /system/app/MobileTV_JPN.apk

file is ownership/groups/permissions look the same as all other APKs in the directory.

Time for bed. Happy about the ODIN kernel/modem though, makes flashing ROMs WAY easier!

nakagusukumike

Jul 31, 2010
Tomigusuku
blacklinux.com
another oddity I have found is that in ROMs that have the CRT screen off animation, it still works when using the SC02C kernel. I always heard that the CRT off animation was something that was in the kernel (and didn't seem to be present in the docomo kernel), or at least that's what everyone over in the vibrant section thinks about their i9000's on 2.3. Maybe it's different on this device?

Currently running Cognition ROM, docomo kernel and baseband and my CRT screen off animation is working (as well as gtalk video:cool:)

cphil19

Jun 25, 2011
Hi guys,

I don't mean to throw the thread off the root topic, but I was wondering if I could ask you fellas how you feel about the phone overall.

I picked up the phone a few days ago and gotta say.....I'm pretty disappointed. Not to sound like an Apple fanboy, but coming from the 3GS, I wasn't as "wowed" as I thought I'd be.

First off, I'm having crazy signal issues. Everytime the signal drops and comes back, data hangs and I need to reset the phone. Also the battery dies crazy fast, and the GPS only works about 60% of the time.

But the thing that probably bothers me the most is....believe it or not....the screen. While the screen ITSELF is nice (watch HD movies is great), the overall reoslution leaves a LOT to be desired. Browsing the internet, text looks VERY pixelated/choppy and images are simply not sharp/vivid and pretty washed out. As I said, I'm pretty sure this is due to low resolution.....so is there a way, through root or otherwise, that resolution can be increased which would make everything sharper? I feel like everything I look at is an 8-bit bitmap picture :(

What do you guys think overall? Phone's a keeper? Or will it be out of use by the end of the year?

R3wt3d

May 11, 2011
signal sux

u're right, I've been using iPhone4 on DoCoMo for a while and now switched to SC02C, but the signal just sux in general. Wi-Fi aswell.

Try to change the font to iPhone one.

R3wt3d

May 11, 2011
not bad

How do you like the phone itself though?

well this device is the latest hardware with dual-core, so I like it for now.
iPhone4 was getting old.
It's a little bit big for my hand and I need to use both my hands to
scroll lol. I'm hitting somewhere with my hand on the screen it seems...

cphil19

Jun 25, 2011
well this device is the latest hardware with dual-core, so I like it for now.
iPhone4 was getting old.
It's a little bit big for my hand and I need to use both my hands to
scroll lol. I'm hitting somewhere with my hand on the screen it seems...

The specs are nice and all, but the screen doesn't bother you going from the iPhone 4 to this? I mean, the iPhone 4's screen is so sharp and clear, while the Galaxy is, while bright, is pretty pixelated and not even remotely as sharp as the iPhone.

dejanet

Nov 5, 2006
Yokosuka, Ja
i pulled the MobileTV_JPN.apk file but am unable to get it to install on another ROM. :(

I think the TV should be working fine on custom rom as long as we flash the NTT kernel and baseband back. Only problem will be getting this damn application to install.

For those who want to try, the application is here:

http://blacklinux.com/pages/public/computers/android/SC02C/

There are probably some Lib's from the Docomo rom that we're missing to make the TV app work.

Sent from my L-06C using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

nakagusukumike

Jul 31, 2010
Tomigusuku
blacklinux.com
Here in Okinawa I do not have ANY signal issues with the phone. It's 100% rock solid, battery life is awesome (on Cognition ROM with SetCPU clocking down to 200Mhz when not in use). As far as the "resolution", I set my DPI to 184 in build.prop and it's MUCH better.

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
I think most of us came from 3.5" screen phones of some type or another (A lot of ex-iphone users, I personally came from the Galaxy Ace, which has the exact same dimensions as the 3G/3GS within 1mm each axis.) so getting used to the size is an issue for most people.

My worst problem is accidental presses on the lower-left part of the main screen when trying to thumb the menu button.

Given a couple more weeks using it I don't think it'll be so much of an issue, but I'm still using the Ace with my Philippines roaming SIM in it for catching SMS (and using smsdroid/websms/fishtext over wifi for sending at only EUR0.015/0.02 per international text) so I'm switching back/forth between the two screen sizes during the day.

No problems with signal. Vastly better than the Softbank signal I used to get, and the GPS signal is quite a bit stronger in a side-by-side comparison with the Ace using the 'GPS Test' app from market.

nakagusukumike

Jul 31, 2010
Tomigusuku
blacklinux.com
There are probably some Lib's from the Docomo rom that we're missing to make the TV app work.

Sent from my L-06C using XDA Premium App

I'm going to abandon trying to resolve any library/signature issues with getting the TV application to run. It hit me today that the investment is not worth the reward. It would be nice to have "everything" working that came in the docomo stock ROM, on a custom ROM, but in reality, the TV on this phone blows (when watching the same channel on the phone and also in 1080i on my TV with a good OTA terrestrial digital tuner) and I'll never watch it even if it was working. I'm guessing not many people will really miss it either.

My advice, just dive in and start trying different ROMs out now that it's easy to get the kernel and baseband back, and forget the phone even has a TV tuner.

..... what I would like to work on is getting an FM radio application with the japan FM spectrum to work :D

Lakitu

Jun 28, 2009
Koshigaya
Sorry to hear that some of you aren't having such a great experience with this phone. Didn't you guys know the resolution before you got it? It's often seen as the "weak point" of these SAMOLED family screens. I definitely noticed that the screen isn't as sharp as the qHD on my wife's phone, but I think it's still a great screen. 8bit? Really?

I have noticed that after using the TV, the screen goes a little "funny". It's hard to explain but it looks like everything is out of whack and a little fuzzy. It's annoying but I can live with it.

I've had no signal issues as you've described and haven't had much time with it to pass judgement on battery life.

I'm totally wowed by how fast the phone is, and how solid it feels considering the "cheap plastic" jibes people often level at the Galaxy S versus HTC or Apple phones.

cphil19

Jun 25, 2011
Sorry to hear that some of you aren't having such a great experience with this phone. Didn't you guys know the resolution before you got it? It's often seen as the "weak point" of these SAMOLED family screens. I definitely noticed that the screen isn't as sharp as the qHD on my wife's phone, but I think it's still a great screen. 8bit? Really?

I have noticed that after using the TV, the screen goes a little "funny". It's hard to explain but it looks like everything is out of whack and a little fuzzy. It's annoying but I can live with it.

I've had no signal issues as you've described and haven't had much time with it to pass judgement on battery life.

I'm totally wowed by how fast the phone is, and how solid it feels considering the "cheap plastic"
jibes people often level at the Galaxy S versus HTC or Apple
phones.

Finally! Someone else who's noticed the "after-tv" affect. Yea, the only way to fix it from what I've seen is to go into "camera" then exit, and the resolution goes back to normal.

Btw, I live in Urawa myself, neighbor. :)

Last edited:

ManInCamo

May 24, 2008
I don't believe the widely published SIM unlock methods in the development forum work for the DoCoMo version, is anyone aware of a method to SIM unlock this device? I'd like to be able to pick up a AT&T prepaid SIM when traveling in the US and use my phone.

Last edited:

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
They do not, a new hashing method (involving SHA256 instead of SHA1) is supposedly being used.

Docomo will unlock an SC-02C for 3000 yen and change though, and reportedly from people who have had it done it has no effect on your support on an ongoing basis contrary to the initial information.

keiko8

Jul 1, 2011
Does anyone know where i can get the docomo Factory Tar file where kernal, baseband and everything is in default settings which is ready to be flashed with Odin? I screwed up my phone really bad lol flashed the wrong stuff and now my phone wont go in recovery mode. I can Only use download mode

Last edited:

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
No one has yet found an official firmware tarball. At one point it was physically present on the KIES server but permission not allowed to download but its totally gone now.

The way to go as close to stock as possible from a hosed handset is flash the factoryfs.img from earlier in this thread (with heimdall), followed with the kernel/baseband combo, then power on and do a factory reset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NTT DoCoMo SC-02C FAQ in progress, coming soon...

Q: What is the difference between the SC-02C and other Galaxy S II models?
    A: The FM radio on the "international I9100" is missing, and in its place is an ISDB-T digital TV receiver. (Similar to but using a different broadcast protocol as the DMB receivers in the korean M250 models) The SC-02C does not have NFC capabilities, like all models except the M250.

Q: How can I unlock the SC-02C?
    A: The unlock used for other early Galaxy S II models will not work on the SC-02C. You can have the handset unlocked at your nearest DoCoMo shop for 3150 yen (tax-inclusive). This does not supposed to affect your monthly billing.

Q: Where can I find original SC-02C firmware if I need to return the handset for service?
    A: There is not an official version of the OMKF2 firmware that the earliest released handsets came with, however you may obtain a copy of the first update, OMKG5, here.

Q: What is the current version firmware?
    A: The final firmware version is OMMP7 (Android 4.0.3)

Q: What's the deal with tethering?
    A: If you use tethering (i.e. mobile access point) you may find your monthly pakehodai charge has increased to 10,395 yen/mo. Its suspected that turning the built-in tether feature switches you invisibly to a different APN which generates an increase on the bill.

Q: How do I activate the Palette UI that Docomo is advertising?
    A: Use the 'Home Switcher' application or clear the defaults for 'TwLauncher' in Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

Q: Can I use I9100 images (and custom ones) on the SC-02C (or vice-versa)?
    A: To an extent yes, there are a couple issues:
    1. The kernel/baseband must be for SC-02C or else you will lose GPS/One-Seg functionality. (You can generally flash these back after installing a custom image)
    2. The SC-02C has a different partition layout, FACTORYFS is 100MB larger than I9100 and HIDDEN is 100MB smaller. The disk usage on the current OMxxx images does not exceed the size of the I9100 partition, however it is VERY close and the SC-02C's partition table was likely laid out different to allow for additional growth.
    The bad news is that Docomo firmwares do not contain an Sbl.bin file, so you can not fix your boot logo that way. The good news is that someone ripped the Sbl.bin file from their phone over a year ago, this one also works with the usb jig. So it's a win/win. You can download it from my DropBox go to the !SC-02C folder, download SBL-SC02COMKF2.zip extract it and flash the tar with odin.

I did the same thing as you, this is how I fixed it. Also if you'd like to use the GPS/compass fix and get some nice tweaks as well, youy can flash my mod in my DropBox's Simmo's Mod folder. Download the zip file with Siyah in the name, and install with ClockworkMod.

Good luck.

hello, Im a user of Docomo SC-02C GS2, can u help me?
    I flashed a firmware of european model and now I lost the "Docomo" logo at the boot.
    I think it is because I had flashed the file includes "boot.bin", and "sbl.bin".

Now I can flash the original firmware (from SC-02C_DCM_SC02COMKG5_SC02CDCMKG5_SC02COMKG5.exe) without problem.

This is the current Version on my phone:
    PDA: SC02COMKG5
    PHONE: SC-2COMKG5
    CSC: SC02CDCMKG5

Build Info: Sat Jul 16 06:05:10 KST 2011

There is no problem to use the telefone.
    But at the boot of the telefone, it shows "Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100". (Before was "Docomo" ....)

Can you tell me how to rebranding to a original docomo-logo (it maybe caused by european boot.bin??)

Thank you.
    Now siyah kernel support both international i9100 and SC-02C in a single kernel image.Just download the latest version from gokhanmoral's web site and add a script in /system/etc/init.d/ gps will work for SC-02C.

Code:
    #!/sbin/busybox sh
    echo 16 > /proc/sys/kernel/rom_feature_set
    sleep 5
    chown root.system /sys/class/sec/gps/GPS_PWR_EN/value
    chmod 664 /sys/class/sec/gps/GPS_PWR_EN/value
    A CWM flashable script:
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/s/g47a9r0dz14w0wj/S99FixNTTGPS.zip
    Flash CM10 rom,then kernel build by me,then ics compass fix,that's all.
    You may wipe cache and data。
    If you use sc-02c stock rom,you should remove assert script in CM10 rom(Open the zip, go to META-INF/com/google/android/update-sctipt. Remove the top 6 lines with the assert then repack).
    @wjchen0: Did you flash CM10 rom cook for I9100 version first, or just flash CM10 kernel that you built?
    I want to enjoy JB as soon as posible... Can't wait for Docomo support :((
    Thank you very much for your reply, currently my phone use
    DXLP7
    2.6.35.7-I9100XWKK5-CL754841root@Dell144#2
    I am going to root my phone to use root explorer.
    so as your instruction, i have to download xxxOMKL4xxx.tar file and use root explorer to copy the files as you mentioned to the phone right?
    Many Thanks

You should rename sensors.*.so(sorry I forgot the name) to sensors.GT-i9100.so or sensors.default.so first,then just replace the files.
    Here is siyah kernel and speedmod kernel for sc-02c ics compiled by me, GPS works fine.I hope this can help.
    blogger.wjchen.co.cc/?p=29001