schok volt sv55 firmware?

Search This thread

bigMOND

Nov 23, 2017
Root Instructions

Edit: Instructions changed as of 5/28/2022. Proceed at your own risk.

You will need adb and fastboot installed on your PC.
  1. On your phone, download and install the official TWRP app to backup your boot.img file.
  2. In the app press "Backup Existing Recovery."
  3. Select the folder location for your backup.
  4. Next, tap the filename. Change name to boot.img
  5. After that, press back up boot.
  6. Now, on your phone, download and install Magisk Manager.
  7. In the Magisk app, press "Install" beside the word Magisk.
  8. In the first option, press next.
  9. In second option, press "Select and Patch a File."
  10. Navigate to location of downloaded boot image and select it.
  11. Magisk will now begin to patch the file. When it is finished the new patch file named "magisk_patched---.img" will be in your downloads folder. You should also see Ramdisk "Yes" in the Magisk section in the app if done correctly.
Now we move to your PC and utilize adb and fastboot.

1. Connect your phone to your PC.
  2. Move your new patched image file on to your PC and into your adb folder.
  3. In your adb folder, press shift and right-click in empty space. This will pull up a context menu.
  4. In that menu, press "Open Powershell window here" to open a terminal.
  5. In your terminal, type "adb devices" to make sure phone is connected.
  6. Now type, "adb reboot bootloader"
  7. Next type, "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched---.img" Make sure to change image name in command to whatever your image is named.
  8. Lastly, type "fastboot reboot" and your done.
Your device should now be rebooted into a rooted state. You can check root status by going into your Magisk app and seeing a version number by "Installed" in the Magisk section.

If you're having trouble getting your PC to recognize your device, here's what worked for me.

1. Go to device manager.
  2. Right-click Google Nexus then click update drivers.
  3. On next screen click browse my computer for drivers.
  4. Then click the option let me pick
  5. There should be two options Google Nexus and Android Composite, choose Android Composite.
That's it. After the driver finishes installing you should see a pop up in the bottom right of your screen with windows now recognizing the Schok Volt.

Much Thanks @luridphantom for your work.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: memorito

Impr0ve

Apr 4, 2013
Root Instructions

You will need adb and fastboot installed on your PC.

1. Download the boot image to your phone from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/schok-volt-sv55-firmware.4406171/post-86911123.
  2. On your phone, download and install Magisk Manager.
  3. In the Magisk app, press "Install" beside the word Magisk.
  4. In the first option, press next.
  5. In second option, press "Select and Patch a File."
  6. Navigate to location of downloaded boot image and select it.
  7. Magisk will now begin to patch the file. When it is finished the new patch file named "magisk_patched---.img" will be in your downloads folder. You should also see Ramdisk "Yes" in the Magisk section in the app if done correctly.
Now we move to your PC and utilize adb and fastboot.

1. Connect your phone to your PC.
  2. Move your new patched image file on to your PC and into your adb folder.
  3. In your adb folder, press shift and right-click in empty space. This will pull up a context menu.
  4. In that menu, press "Open Powershell window here" to open a terminal.
  5. In your terminal, type "adb devices" to make sure phone is connected.
  6. Now type, "adb reboot bootloader"
  7. Next type, "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched---.img" Make sure to change image name in command to whatever your image is named.
  8. Lastly, type "fastboot reboot" and your done.
Your device should now be rebooted into a rooted state. You can check root status by going into your Magisk app and seeing a version number by "Installed" in the Magisk section.

If you're having trouble getting your PC to recognize your device, here's what worked for me.

1. Go to device manager.
  2. Right-click Google Nexus then click update drivers.
  3. On next screen click browse my computer for drivers.
  4. Then click the option let me pick
  5. There should be two options Google Nexus and Android Composite, choose Android Composite.
That's it. After the driver finishes installing you should see a pop up in the bottom right of your screen with windows now recognizing the Schok Volt.

Much Thanks @luridphantom for your work.
so the build version doesn't matter?

Impr0ve

Apr 4, 2013
Seems like as long as you have svs55216 you’re good. I have build svs55216_01.01.07.220105, and I’ve seen 2 different other builds that ended different but began with svs55216 that also worked.
Bad news for me I was able to get root but now my phone functionality is all broken wifi and sound are not working anymore system UI crashes startup wonder if that has anything to do with that I even factory reset and still getting the problems so I wouldn't recommend doing it this was my only phone that worked and now It's pretty much useless :( I guess I did something wrong I Dunno but that's where I am at now lol

bigMOND

Nov 23, 2017
Bad news for me I was able to get root but now my phone functionality is all broken wifi and sound are not working anymore system UI crashes startup wonder if that has anything to do with that I even factory reset and still getting the problems so I wouldn't recommend doing it this was my only phone that worked and now It's pretty much useless :( I guess I did something wrong I Dunno but that's where I am at now lol
Thanks for the heads up. I don’t think I’ve had the same issues but let me check when I’m home. I haven’t fiddled with it since I got root. I’ll make sure to add that on there and find a solution for you.

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
GT-i9250
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
your boot partition version doesnt match mine. if you didnt make a backup you might be screwed. i would try to unroot, update to the latest version, then wait until i have time to write a tutorial

Reactions: Unitethedivided

Impr0ve

Apr 4, 2013
your boot partition version doesnt match mine. if you didnt make a backup you might be screwed. i would try to unroot, update to the latest version, then wait until i have time to write a tutorial
if someone were to update their boot.img to the same one I had and share it would that fix my problem? I didn't how to back it up my boot.img before I flashed :( and I did try to unroot and I was on the same build version so I dunno

bigMOND

Nov 23, 2017
if someone were to update their boot.img to the same one I had and share it would that fix my problem? I didn't how to back it up my boot.img before I flashed :( and I did try to unroot and I was on the same build version so I dunno
That would do it, or a stock firmware flash. I should've waited to post the next day to test beforehand. Its not my primary and I was working on it overnight so I hadn't noticed immediately. Rookie mistake on my part but mine is same as yours though, no wifi, no sound. I've updated the instructions to where you get your own boot.img. because that was the issue. Didnt forget about ya. Anything I get working, ill post here.

bigMOND

Nov 23, 2017
Idk if unrooting removes it but there’s a backup of your original boot.img in /data on your root system. It’ll say magisk_backup. If it’s there you could wait and root through twrp to access the folder then flash the original boot.img. I rooted again through magisk and overwrote my original backup.

If there was a firmware update you could extract and flash the boot.img from it as well. Unfortunately only a security update atm.

Impr0ve

Apr 4, 2013
Idk if unrooting removes it but there’s a backup of your original boot.img in /data on your root system. It’ll say magisk_backup. If it’s there you could wait and root through twrp to access the folder then flash the original boot.img. I rooted again through magisk and overwrote my original backup.

If there was a firmware update you could extract and flash the boot.img from it as well. Unfortunately only a security update atm.
I overwrote mine 2 I didn't know it made a backup how does magisk have access to do that before root when I can't get access to it the boot img to make a copy of it that sucks though should I unroot or just wait for update I wish knew how to make twrp I feel that's the more safer route of rooting than through magisk boot.img

Davidacarlson86

Dec 1, 2021
Rooted, finally, and all is well. Thanks for the help.
My phone was rooted today by the most amazingly beautiful and intelligent woman in the entire universe. There is one slight defect though. The sound is gone. I don't know what to do to fix this issue. Is there an option of perhaps installing a new sound card?? If so, how?? I would greatly appreciate any feedback in regards to this matter. I love you,♥️♥️♥️

Impr0ve

Apr 4, 2013
I need the Boot.img for build SV55216_01.01.08.220413 I now broke 2 phones lol I feel stupid I thought for some reason magisk would backup the orginal boot.img but it only backs up the one you use to patch....

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
so i just got this phone as a free Obama phone here in Vegas and i sure would like to get a clean root running as i can't stand not having full control and file system access for all of my personal devices.

i've read every word of this thread twice, but still can't discern if a clean and full root is available and working (ie sound not working after root? i can't imagine carrying around a phone that didnt have working sound lol)

have the issues been ironed out, and does the procedure outlined here now result in a valid almost error-free root? Or does the sound issue still exist?

thanks to everyone involved here for doing the hard work needed to get this root a reality!

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
GT-i9250
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
so i just got this phone as a free Obama phone here in Vegas and i sure would like to get a clean root running as i can't stand not having full control and file system access for all of my personal devices.

i've read every word of this thread twice, but still can't discern if a clean and full root is available and working (ie sound not working after root? i can't imagine carrying around a phone that didnt have working sound lol)

have the issues been ironed out, and does the procedure outlined here now result in a valid almost error-free root? Or does the sound issue still exist?

thanks to everyone involved here for doing the hard work needed to get this root a reality!
there is a way to do it involving using the dsu loader feature to temp boot a pre-rooted gsi image, using that to dump the boot image using dd, then booting normally into the system to patch the boot image using magisk

due to work i have no time for a full writeup. its for the very technically experienced and if you're not familiar with rooting, has a high risk of bricking your device

all the problems people have are related to flashing an incorrect rooted boot img to their device. if you follow the hints in the first paragraph you will have no problems as i did

Reactions: menriquez

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

there is a way to do it involving using the dsu loader feature to temp boot a pre-rooted gsi image, using that to dump the boot image using dd, then booting normally into the system to patch the boot image using magisk

due to work i have no time for a full writeup. its for the very technically experienced and if you're not familiar with rooting, has a high risk of bricking your device

all the problems people have are related to flashing an incorrect rooted boot img to their device. if you follow the hints in the first paragraph you will have no problems as i did
    ok...a few more questions...isnt TWRP able to flash GSI images as well? Also, exactly which version GSI would you want to use to get at the preexisting boot.img system (using DD of course)?

There are Android 11, 12, and even 13beta versions of GSIs [ https://developer.android.com/topic/generic-system-image/releases ] but after spending the last hour researching, im coming to the conclusion that we wont be able to find a GSI that is compatable with our cheap -o phone here..

In fact, going to developer options on the phone and hitting "DSU Loader" gives me the cryptic "No DSU Available for this device" message....so good luck going the route you had mentioned.
    there is no twrp for it, you need to download the recovery img i posted earlier and build it yourself if you want to go that route

since you're that curious, you need to install an app that determines what treble build you need, then download the actual gsi from https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-18.x/

load it into an app called dsu loader that will handle the temp flashing for you, then you will have temp root at the boot logo. don't forget to reboot once you're done pulling your boot img to get back to your normal state
    how did you unlock the bootloader?

Afternoon luridphantom

I have the same question as BigBubbaCJ. I just recently acquired this phone (Schok Volt V55S) and would like to know where to get info on unlocking the bootloader. Not sure I need another ROM, but want to be able to delete all the bloatware (google crap) from this phone and be able to enter "storage" to put music and photo's on. TNX
    Rick
    just do adb reboot bootloader and fastboot oem unlock

plenty of tutorials in xda to show you how to do that
    I'd be willing to help with this. I have one of these phones as well. Is there a way we could chat somewhere to have better response times between us?
    mods are gonna remove any links to chat apps/groups

let's keep it in the thread for now so anyone else can benefit. i'd read up on firehoses and the edl protocol if you aren't familiar with it. heres an open source tool to interface with devices through edl: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

i've already unlocked my bootloader but have no firehose or loader to connect with my sv55. all i need is that to pull the boot image then i can patch it with magisk and flash it back
    photo_2022-05-16_11-02-36.jpg

confirmed rooted
    Awesome!! can you help me root mine?
    dont have time to write a guide cuz its a lot of steps

heres the stock recovery if you wanna make twrp out of it and root through that
    I take it you found a boot.img to be able to root. Was it for the sv55 (SV55216 build)?.... I need that firmware if you would please share it.

Thanks,
    Jaymi
    thats not the correct way to read the build, but mine is svv55216_01.01.04.131651

if that matches, feel free to patch this boot with magisk

if not you need to use the recovery i uploaded, build twrp from it then flash it