Scratches on my scratch resistant screen

Search This thread

parkpy

Jul 11, 2010
I've owned my Samsung Focus since 12/26/10. I use it daily. I am careful not to put my keys and phone in the same pocket. I will admit to using my shirt to wipe smudges off my screen. It does not have a screen protector.

Is it normal to have so many small scratches all over the front of my screen?:confused:

drokkon

Oct 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
I've owned my Samsung Focus since 12/26/10. I use it daily. I am careful not to put my keys and phone in the same pocket. I will admit to using my shirt to wipe smudges off my screen. It does not have a screen protector.

Is it normal to have so many small scratches all over the front of my screen?:confused:

I'm starting to wonder if there aren't some differences in Focii out there. I've only had mine a month, but it gets wiped, most often on the leg of my jeans, and has yet to have a single scratch, small or otherwise. I'll count myself lucky, but you should check out the gorilla glass thread going on here.

wildbilll

Dec 19, 2006
St. Louis
What may appear to be scratches could be the opposite of a scratch. Deposition of materials on the surface. I have a Motion Computing J3500 Tablet with Gorilla Glass. It looks like it has scratches sometimes, but it it actually fine marks from the digitizer pen. Some good hard rubbing with my microfiber cleaning cloths gets the job done.

parkpy

Jul 11, 2010
Picture proof.

I'll use the suggestion of wiping hard with a microfiber though:)

edit: says I can't link you guys to the photo:-/

parkpy

Jul 11, 2010
Quote from Samsung:

"Dear Paul,
Thank you for your inquiry.
We do apologize for the inconvenience. Apparently, the Samsung Focus is not using Gorilla Glass and we did not know how you utilize the use of your phone. If there would be scratches we advise you to use a protective screen on the phone.
Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.
Sincerely,
Technical Support
Kaye"

parkpy

Jul 11, 2010
And now I have enough posts to post this:
5476123293_dd88184f31_b.jpg

TOA Duck

Oct 29, 2010
Mississippi
www.theoutlawarmy.com
bummmer.....I have had mine since November 8th and no scratches. No screen protector.

I believe you still have to be carefull. Nothing in your pocket with your phone.

You have to use common sense here as NOTHING in this world that says scratch resistant is really scratch resistant.

eried

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Some sand particles in your pocket can scratch any material besides diamonds. :D

Reactions: wildbilll

norsairius

Aug 20, 2010
Huh, this phone has to be using Gorilla glass. I've taken my car keys to the screen just to demonstrate it to other people, haha.

That said, my phone screen has no scratches. It wipes clean and looks as good as the day it came out of the box. There are a few on the back cover, but that's it.

drokkon

Oct 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
Had my first spill

First drop yesterday onto pavement. A few almost imperceptible nicks on the chassis, but the screen is as smooth and unblemished as day 1. :D

ndtinker

Nov 13, 2010
Jackson, TN
First drop yesterday onto pavement. A few almost imperceptible nicks on the chassis, but the screen is as smooth and unblemished as day 1. :D

Hah, mines the same way. I dropped it twice now. Hit the back cover, flipped over, then proceeded to slide face first on the pavement.. the front black bezel looks like dogmeat but the glass is perfect :) I finally got a case just to protect that super soft front plastic surround..

IWantAnA2

Mar 5, 2011
I'm on my third Focus. My second one I had for over a month with a ZAGG screen protector on it. When I took it off to send the phone back to AT&T, the screen and back cover were MINT. They aren't cheap at $30, but I honestly think it was a very good investment. It isn't reusable, but has a lifetime warranty.

alan93

Dec 24, 2010
Had mine since Christmas eve.
Just wiped off all the smudges to take a look at it.
Looks like black ice to me.

shiftf7

Mar 7, 2011
I'm really not sure how I did it.. but my screen got a scratch on it. :( As a result I bought a screen protector from clearvue.

But anyway, here's a a picture I took to prove it:
[edit... okay looks like I need 8 posts to link a picture.. I'll update this in a bit]

Mar 4, 2011
Dallas, TX
I dropped mine on the gravel at the gun range on Sunday. Now, I've got a tiny chip and a crack across the screen. I guess I'll find out how much Samsung charges for repair soon...

Michael.

amtrakcn

Mar 22, 2010
Madison
I heard Samsung put a layer on top of the Gorrila Glass to prevent fingerprint and improve smoothness of surface. Also I saw someone with Galaxy S tear that layer off(Just like screen protector). It might be the same thing for Focus.

ru-dmitry

Dec 8, 2010
I heard Samsung put a layer on top of the Gorrila Glass to prevent fingerprint and improve smoothness of surface. Also I saw someone with Galaxy S tear that layer off(Just like screen protector). It might be the same thing for Focus.
Maybe it was Nexus S that have oleophobic coating on the screen?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some sand particles in your pocket can scratch any material besides diamonds. :D