Question Screen burn in after just 1 day

Search This thread

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
My watchface of my gw4 classic literally burn in in 5 hours with AOD and automatic brightness.
But I contacted Samsung and they told that I can send the watch back and receive a brand new one
Yeah, that is just not at all normal. Such units must have some massive hardware defect in them. Samsung is right to handle it under warranty. I suspect they had a small batch go out that had whatever unusual defect causes what you experienced.

I just hope that consumers don't get bitten by this OUT of warranty. For example, if they had never used AOD before, then started to use it, THEN discovered the fault. I suspect Samsung might even honor it then, if they have a list of suspected serial numbers. In such a case (that they know which batch), they should be pro-active and do a recall.

I have to wonder, though, if the defect would eventually show up even if not using AOD. 5 hours of screen "on time" will happen probably in just a week or so of non-AOD use. Assuming it is total time "on" that causes the damage.

Reactions: emreLP61

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
I've got my replacement...
The problem that I've got called from 0000000 is gone but burn in after a few hours is still there :( I will contact Samsung tomorrow...

• Wow
Reactions: galaxys

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
Samsung told, they will replace the watch again in accommodating... I don't think this will help in

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
I've got mine with burn in after a few hours and I've randomly got called from 10000000 I've contacted Samsung and got a brand new one and now the call problem is solved but the burn in is still there i will send my new one now back and receive another brand new one... I will reply when i have received the new watch

• Wow
Reactions: galaxys

finshan

Jan 17, 2018
I'm also having the burn in within a few hours of use. Also related, the screen looks "dirty" like older OLED screens looked, back when burn in was an issue on OLEDs. Didn't have this problem on the Galaxy Watch Active 2 or any Apple Watch, all with max brightness and AOD.

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
i’ve got now my 3rd Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and it’s everytime the same. I’ll wait now for a few months and then i send it back to samsung

S2J3607

Nov 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I have the 44mm watch 4 and I have something similar to screen burn going on. I don't use AOD and my screen brightness is just under half. I can see light through the watch face and I've tried a few different ones. I've never used a white face. Any ideas on how to get rid of it or is the screen likely damaged and in need of replacement? I had the watch 3 and it never did anything like this and I pre-ordered the watch 4 so it should be covered under the manufacturer warranty I believe. I added 2 pictures from Google drive in case the attached pictures don't work

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b2PgZBIlKHpAlbGxR1taCiWbTpxr2nvr/view?usp=drivesdk

Attachments

• 20220220_132521.jpg
    14.9 MB · Views: 124
  • 20220220_132554.jpg
    14.9 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
This is not a Burn in this is a defect display you should contact the customer service and get a new one

joaoresende

Jul 27, 2012
I bought mine in 12 of Fev, and yesterday I took it to the store for return. One of the warning that they gave me that could refuse the return was the wear of the bracelet (a mark of the rectangular thing that holds the bracelet in place). Currently waiting for Samsung answer.

This is from using the watch in auto brightness, AOD on, and +/-8h of use everyday.
IMG_20220221_221055.jpg

Update: The watch got repaired. In Portugal the brand decides if they repair it, swap the unit or return the money. After 10 days of use I was expecting a new unit... Lets see if the problem appears again.

Last edited:

gatewayxda

Mar 30, 2022
even i had this issue after using one day my watch4 44mm, its like image retention , when you apply samusng default watch face it will leave a trace , so i tried 3 rd party watch face and still it leaves some trace , it will fade away when you change your watch face or at watch face change mode ,dont know this is a issue with software or hardware , but when it will come to long term use it will may occur display burn. for now its a image retention. lets wait and see. may be turning off always on display will help to prevent this situation .

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
It‘s a bit susy, because i have a burn in but when i charge the watch overnight the burn in is away and this repeats everyday

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I bought a GW 4 44mm yesterday and I get a strange light blob apear when dragging quick toggle tab down its as if the bright part of the watch face is behind is this normal the brighter the watch face the worse it shows I contacted live chat and that was painfull , I did a factory reset after latest update but still same issues I had GW4 before and don't recall the issue,
20220408_203843.jpg

Attachments

• 20220408_203838.jpg
    20220408_203838.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 24

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
I bought a GW 4 44mm yesterday and I get a strange light blob apear when dragging quick toggle tab down its as if the bright part of the watch face is behind is this normal the brighter the watch face the worse it shows I contacted live chat and that was painfull , I did a factory reset after latest update but still same issues I had GW4 before and don't recall the issue, View attachment 5583203
This screen is definitely broken something from behind pushed the display or the liquid from the display leaked. You should sent it in as warranty and should get a free replacement or repair

emreLP61

Nov 24, 2021
even i had this issue after using one day my watch4 44mm, its like image retention , when you apply samusng default watch face it will leave a trace , so i tried 3 rd party watch face and still it leaves some trace , it will fade away when you change your watch face or at watch face change mode ,dont know this is a issue with software or hardware , but when it will come to long term use it will may occur display burn. for now its a image retention. lets wait and see. may be turning off always on display will help to prevent this situation .
In my case I use always on display and the watch face gets burn in but as soon as I charge the watch overnight the burn in is magically gone

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This screen is definitely broken something from behind pushed the display or the liquid from the display leaked. You should sent it in as warranty and should get a free replacement or repair
Thanks yes only got yesterday from argos so have 30 days return for replacement or refund just got locate a store with the green model so can take it back there and just replace it I thought was iffy as don't recall my last one being like it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How old is your watch? Do you use AOD all time? Are there any other problems besides the image retention?
    I bought at 11/17/21
    And yes I use all time AOD and auto brightness.
    I have not other problems besides this
    Wow, at first I thought it can't be, but your photos...
    I guess you should get a replacement. Could it be a faulty screen?
    I mean it looks like a bright AOD. Did you use it in a bright environment? But after 1 day, I think it should not look like this.
    Wow, at first I thought it can't be, but your photos...
    I guess you should get a replacement. Could it be a faulty screen?
    I mean it looks like a bright AOD. Did you use it in a bright environment? But after 1 day, I think it should not look like this.
    Working with Samsung to get a replacement (or I'll just return and buy a new one).
    My guess is I just got a lemon. The AOD doesn't seem to dimmvery much at all. And it always seems to want to be much brighter than it needs to be (in comparison to all the other smartwatches I've owned)
    It really is a shame what poor quality samsung dares to ship out to customers!

But what makes me even more angry are all the fanboys that defend samsung no matter what and always try to blame users for their hardware and software issues even though it´s clear that it´s just a faulty/unfinished product...

In the other thread there really have been people blaming the user for their burn-in issues for "setting the brightness wrong"... On a finished device there should never be a user setting that could damage a device permanently....
    My watchface of my gw4 classic literally burn in in 5 hours with AOD and automatic brightness.
    But I contacted Samsung and they told that I can send the watch back and receive a brand new one
    Yeah, that is just not at all normal. Such units must have some massive hardware defect in them. Samsung is right to handle it under warranty. I suspect they had a small batch go out that had whatever unusual defect causes what you experienced.

I just hope that consumers don't get bitten by this OUT of warranty. For example, if they had never used AOD before, then started to use it, THEN discovered the fault. I suspect Samsung might even honor it then, if they have a list of suspected serial numbers. In such a case (that they know which batch), they should be pro-active and do a recall.

I have to wonder, though, if the defect would eventually show up even if not using AOD. 5 hours of screen "on time" will happen probably in just a week or so of non-AOD use. Assuming it is total time "on" that causes the damage.
    How old is your watch? Do you use AOD all time? Are there any other problems besides the image retention?
    I bought at 11/17/21
    And yes I use all time AOD and auto brightness.
    I have not other problems besides this