Screen burn in

Search This thread

thunderc8

Apr 1, 2010
As promised i will post back when my phone returns from service.
My phone arrived with a new screen that doesn't have any image retention but it is allot brighter i had to turn brightness down maybe it's a new batch can't really tell, the colors seem the same maybe a bit warmer.
They also replaced my gps antenna and bottom battery clip along with the entire front frame.
So now my phone has brighter warmer screen with no image retention and a very good gps signal lets hope it stays that way....

ItsNewDroid

Mar 8, 2016
As promised i will post back when my phone returns from service.
My phone arrived with a new screen that doesn't have any image retention but it is allot brighter i had to turn brightness down maybe it's a new batch can't really tell, the colors seem the same maybe a bit warmer.
They also replaced my gps antenna and bottom battery clip along with the entire front frame.
So now my phone has brighter warmer screen with no image retention and a very good gps signal lets hope it stays that way....
That's good to hear.
I leave in Budapest and also replaced the
Screen a few months ago. All was perfect until a month ago when retention and screen burn came back strong. I Need a replace again plus a faulty audio jack :(

thunderc8

Apr 1, 2010
Then i guess i will have the same problemagain after some months...
This phone is perfect but it has major issues with screen and gps and a smaller one with the audio Jack because mine when i have headphones connected some times it starts playing by it self

gerciolisz

Feb 22, 2013
Gdańsk
I started to have screen retention problem too. I have this device since February. I must say it's a really hard experience changing opo for g5 but I enjoy the phone.
So.. I found that this retention is weird, because it doesn't show when in locksceen. It looks like something like adaptive brightness turning on day mode or sth like this and then screen retention shows up.
I found even on max brightness sometimes locksceen doesn't show retention, also on bootanimation there is no retention .
IMHO this is software problem. ( I know lg is not good at software:p)

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Then i guess i will have the same problemagain after some months...
This phone is perfect but it has major issues with screen and gps and a smaller one with the audio Jack because mine when i have headphones connected some times it starts playing by it self
Yep Jack has some problems in detecting what is connected.. especially aux cables I must plug cable 2-5 times it'll start to work... When it not detect aux I only hear loud hissing ... I also think it is kernel problem I saw sth like that on other phones too..

ItsNewDroid

Mar 8, 2016
So a followup since my last post. Yesterday I went to lg service. Although the guy said something about unlocked bootloader, they replaced the screen, mother board and battery. And all in 2 hours!!!
I locked the bootloader prior going to service center.
Really delighted with lg's service.

JsknDaGreat

May 24, 2017
I thought I had burn in once, switch the buttons and it may just be heat remnants, that's what happens when I use vr. The buttons stay for a minute or so then disappear once the phone is cool

Kir6y

Jan 7, 2013
Windsor, NC
Literally just bought the LG G5 today and noticed the screen retention within a few seconds after the setup wizard. The arrow on the top left sat there for a few minutes. I used a blue light to prevent any more from happening. But right after I installed blue light, I received a update notification . After installing the update I haven't witness anymore screen retentions.

Reactions: gerciolisz

nikmil31

Jul 8, 2017
Had this phone for a year now, had screen replaced two times and ghosting still apears. Now waiting for a replacement with my carrier, as licenced service is trying to replace the screen for the third time. 8 years Htc and now this...

Icetea

Nov 8, 2014
Hey, has someone found a solution? I tried sFilter but doesn't dim the navbar so I still have issues, I tried Night Screen but create problem with The UI, all Those app drain too Much battery..

try "BluLightFilter" app too
click to find!
* No Ads
* small (~86kb!)
* less power consumption

Last edited:

grosskrf

Jul 14, 2017
Hey -

I got a pretty hard burn in after a few moments. I send the device twice to LG Germany. While the person on the LG Hotline says that this is a strong case of a burn in and the display should be fixed under warranty - the repair shop just send it back twice.

This is how strong the effect is after like 5 minutes.

I could not post a link due to less than 10 posts.

youtube.com/watch?v=YR78NPhccu4

Any ideas how to handle this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so I managed to reverse it. I downloaded the app "dead pixel detect and fix". In the app settings, I set the brightness to the lowest (lcd doesn't matter how bright the screen is, since it is just a backlight) then colors and select white. Leave it on for a couple of hours, then the screen retention will be gone. Select the grey color after to see if the nav bars are still burned in.

This shouldn't happen to begin with, but hope it helps if anyone has the same issue.
    For those wondering, this is not a problem with your specific device, its a problem of the display type (quantum IPS).
    So I don't advise replacing the phone for another G5, as the new unit will also have the same problem.
    I have had a G4 for about 10 months and since day one I noticed the image persistence. It is not a real burn-in as it is not permanent. Once the image that is causing the retention, specially anything full white, is not being displayed anymore, it'll faint until it completely disappears. Lets call it soft burn-in.
    On the other hand, anything that has well defined borders and is showed for a extended period of time, like icons, will start his own soft burn-in.

My brand new LG G5 has exactly the same problem as it uses the same display technology.

Its a LG display plague, live with it or change for another Brand.
    try to unburn with moving rgb bars

since we're talking about LCD, you can try to rearrange the "burned" liquid crystals by displaying moving rgb bars.

this webgl was exactly made for this purpose: http://gbrlgrct.com/gists/deec0c0c12e63a94515b/burn-webgl.html

there is no guaranty but you should give it a try. i've already unburned some LCD screens with this. It may take 1+ hours
    Let's leave it there and play nicely please!

Thanks all, have a good day :D

Forum moderator,

Matt
    I noticed it on mine as well. Do you get hold of LG or your carrier ?

LG told me I need to contact my carrier and they will take it and send it for the repair, anywhere from 5 to 10 business days, I just hate being without it for basically 2 weeks and have the same issue arise on the new one. I am tempted just to trade it or sell it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone