Screen Coating Issues - Please Check Yours and Post Here!

Search This thread

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
I've had my phone since Monday and have been noticing these two horizontal lines on my phone screen - one on the top left of the screen and the other bottom right. If I wipe them off they virtually disappear, but if I then put my finger over them they come back straight away. I think these are defects in the coating of the screen so that these regions attract fingerprints/oil etc more than the rest of the screen. Here are some pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w6pcsrmm8d4b31/DSC_0416.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv68silgavv80q7/DSC_0417.JPG?dl=0

I have been extremely careful with my phone and haven't done anything that should have caused this to happen. Anyone else noticed anything similar?

mcrane1981

Mar 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I had exactly the same issue in exactly the same places! My thoughts were that it was glue from the build process! Anyway I returned it to the store and they gave me a new one!

H815 UK

Last edited:

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
I had exactly the same issue in exactly the same places! My thoughts were that it was glue from the build process! Anyway I returned it to the store and they gave me a new one!

Wow, good to hear I'm not the only one. The placement of the lines seems to suggest the screen was maybe passed through rollers during manufacture and these damaged the coating.

I too wasn't sure whether the marks were residue or missing parts of the coating. To test this, I applied a few small drops of water to the screen and they bead into nice droplets where the coating is intact, but when I apply water to the affected areas it spreads out along the line, kept in by the coating outside the region. Here's a picture: photo on dropbox

This is pretty conclusive as far as I'm concerned. I hope the online store I bought my phone from is happy to replace it!

Last edited:

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Me too! (P.S. Hi Whirlpoolian :) )

I edited your thread title to try to attract others, hope you don't mind.

I thought I had dropped it on the screen and caused it. But I know I haven't dropped of bumped it on the screen.

So I think for sure this proves it's a flaw. Let's see who else has this, and what we can possibly do about it.

Please post which version of G4 you have so we can see if there are any patterns.

Mine is the 815 from Taiwan. I've wet the screen to highlight where they are on mine.

I've contacted the place I bought mine from to see what they make of it, as I feel this is a manufacturing flaw that should be replaced.

iUlLtghl.jpg
qHn7Dt8l.jpg
2EJMnyQl.jpg

yaiYchal.jpg
WZlGMDbl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NEO2598 and krezee

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
Yep, mine's an 815 from Taiwan too.

Another very easy way to check is to wipe the screen clean and then fog it with your breath. The affected regions show up very clearly.

I've also contacted the place I bought mine from... haven't heard anything back yet, I guess because it's the weekend.

Piko1945

Jun 14, 2015
Yeah. I've had it too. But mine is on right top, and right bottom.
I will try to go to LG service center in Monday. Mine in the dual Sim version.

Nick L

Oct 13, 2011
Denver
Not seeing it on my H811 from Korea. Tried both the fingerprints and the water drops and couldn't find anything. (For some reason my breath won't fog up the screen - maybe I'm a zombie or something? :p )

Reactions: NEO2598

WhiteHartMart

Jun 7, 2008
Cornwall, UK
I had the same issues on my O2 UK handset. Lines across the screen equal distance from top and bottom.

Mine got swapped out at my door for a replacement which is perfect.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reactions: krezee

aaronrw

Nov 16, 2011
A TOWN!
LG quality control seems lacking on the g4. I've owned several LG devices from the og optimus to the flex and g3. Usually this isn't prominent in LG threads

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Nukewire

May 14, 2009
I have the same issue, I got it home from buying it and thought I had somehow already scratched it... I've been kicking myself for a week now thinking how dumb I was. Time to take it back to tmobile today.

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have the same issue, I got it home from buying it and thought I had somehow already scratched it... I've been kicking myself for a week now thinking how dumb I was. Time to take it back to tmobile today.
Let me know how that goes. T Mobile stores are a ***** to get a phone returned.. Even when the phones are obviously flawed they'll try to warranty exchange it or tell you to pay the 50 dollar restocking fee.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Bogega

Nov 27, 2010
Same problem. Those lines appeared on 3rd day of usage. There's at least 7 or so users who have the same defect with their screens on russian phone community 4pda.ru
I'm currently trying to convince the seller that it is a production defect so that I can have the phone returned... It's not an easy thing to do in Russia but I will do my best.

Reactions: NEO2598

a22matic

May 31, 2012
Atlanta
Wow, thanks for the thread. I checked and I have two lines, one at the top and one at the bottom. Didn't notice it on day 1. I have the 815 from Clove.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

tripex2k

Apr 16, 2011
Villingen-Schwenningen
Hm, maybe someone should make a list which modells from which reagion are having this problem. I have several G4s here and none has this issue, H815 o2 DE (Germany) batch. This batch was released just around the 8. june, o2 customers in Germany had to wait until then to get the phone, maybe it is only in the first production batch of the G4s.

a22matic

May 31, 2012
Atlanta
I just shipped mine back to Clove. Will get a new one sent once they receive it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had my phone since Monday and have been noticing these two horizontal lines on my phone screen - one on the top left of the screen and the other bottom right. If I wipe them off they virtually disappear, but if I then put my finger over them they come back straight away. I think these are defects in the coating of the screen so that these regions attract fingerprints/oil etc more than the rest of the screen. Here are some pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w6pcsrmm8d4b31/DSC_0416.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv68silgavv80q7/DSC_0417.JPG?dl=0

I have been extremely careful with my phone and haven't done anything that should have caused this to happen. Anyone else noticed anything similar?
    Noticed I had the same parallel marks on my G4. I thought I had some how damaged the screen.
    Went into Carphone Warehouse yesterday and showed them the screen marks.
    They exchanged without any arguments, and they didn't check to see if the bootloader was unlocked.
    :)
    As a bonus, they didn't have the grey version so I took
    a black leather model instead. When I got home and opened the box, I found an extra rear cover!!!
    Me too! (P.S. Hi Whirlpoolian :) )

I edited your thread title to try to attract others, hope you don't mind.

I thought I had dropped it on the screen and caused it. But I know I haven't dropped of bumped it on the screen.

So I think for sure this proves it's a flaw. Let's see who else has this, and what we can possibly do about it.

Please post which version of G4 you have so we can see if there are any patterns.

Mine is the 815 from Taiwan. I've wet the screen to highlight where they are on mine.

I've contacted the place I bought mine from to see what they make of it, as I feel this is a manufacturing flaw that should be replaced.

iUlLtghl.jpg
    qHn7Dt8l.jpg
    2EJMnyQl.jpg

yaiYchal.jpg
    WZlGMDbl.jpg
    Well Well!! I have placed a few posts in some different threads about how my phone had marks on the display and when I sent pics to Tropical Mobile (Ebay seller) they scammed me and told me that I could just keep it if the marks did not bother me and they would reimburse me 30% of the selling price! I thought about it for a day and figured, why not, I know how to change screens and IF it does bother me then I will switch it out with the $210 that they are going to refund me! They told me to get (2) quotes at local repair shops saying that the estimate was exactly $210 and that they would refund me within 24 hours after I did that. Well, I sent the email over to them stating I got 2 quotes and that the phone would need a new LCD, which would cost $210. Then the next day I received an email from E-bay stating that the seller turned over the case to them to decide whether or not I could return the unit or not. And ebay rejected my claim and stiffed me with the phone and I called in to ***** about it and they said that since I took it to a 3rd party for an estimate that I can no longer return it and that I have no recourse against Tropical Mobile! WTF!!??? I am so pissed off now because this is something that a bunch of units have and now I am stuck with mine cause Ebay screwed me over and protected the power seller Tropical Mobile, and they knew EXACTLY what they were doing! They scammed me HARD!! And Ebay & PayPal won't do a thing about it! So mad and disappointed that Ebay has let this SLIMEBAG stiff me on a phone that has issues with the screen! WOW!! I even left a negative review about the seller and it got deleted by Ebay! They have 100% feedback rating and it's because they are a Power Seller and make TONS of money for Ebay so in return, Ebay makes their feedback look flawless! OMG what a joke! Sorry guys, I am just mad! Now that I see this thread it literally makes me sick to my stomach that they got away with this!

BTW: I purchased an H815
    Hi everyone!

I bought my H815 G4 in the UK last Saturday at a super cheap price from Vodafone, but have started to notice some unfortunate problems with the screen and wondered whether it was normal across all of the recently produced G4's. The problem i'm having seems to be a little different to the others posted in this thread. It would be awesome if a few people could do a quick test for me, as i'm debating whether to have my phone replaced for another one in store at the weekend. :)

1. Okay, so download image and open it in your favourite gallery app, so that the screen is one solid colour throughout.
    2. Adjust the brightness to a decent level, ideally at least 50%.
    3. Now hold the phone straight towards you at arms length, does the colour remain consistent over the whole screen? Mine seems to have a darkish area about 30% downwards from the top. :(
    4. Bring the phone closer and slowly tilt it at all angles, does anything look unusual while doing this? On mine, this reveals a large light circle on the upper portion of the screen, and further areas of brightness downwards in the lower section. For me, it seems like the glass isn't seated properly against the display or something. When i apply a small amount of pressure to the brighter areas with my finger and slowly move it around, the circle shape also moves. :confused:

I'm starting to suspect i've been sold a rubbish phone, because this doesn't seem too normal. Unfortunately the issues i'm talking about are difficult to capture on camera, so i can't really show what it looks like. If anyone could check this out for me, it would be most appreciated.

Did the test, no issue on mine - I have also bought from Vodafone for £225+£10 topup