Screen cracks easily?

Search This thread

shareonline

Nov 17, 2010
To the people who thinks that the screens doesn't Crack by themselves, please be aware!.. I bought a Z3 compact for my wife, and the screen cracked on its own after a few days.. She is so careful and it happened during the night on our night stand..
Now I owned a Z2 with no problems, but have just gotten a Z3 from work 2 days ago, and now the screen has I nice beautiful direct line/Crack on the back glas.. Just like my wife's compact..
There is some serious quality control missing on the latest line of smartphones from Sony!!

Luckily this is a work phone so I will just get a new one.. But this will be my third and last Sony mobile.. This is really not okay in any way, and the only thing that would change my opinion about Sony smartphones in the future, would be if they publicly announced that they f..... Up and replaced every screen that cracked on their Z3 line, with a new better glass... But Sony won't admit directly that there is a problem with the glass, and that is simply not acceptable after several months of user complaints...

By the way take a look at the xda thread over on z3c, glass survey or something is the name as far as I remember..!

Edit: oh and In no way have i dropped, bunked, scratched this phone.. It is 2 days old and have been treating it like a little crown jewel...

Last edited:

lipitwa

Aug 8, 2013
single sim/dualsim

hi guys , Im just curious, judging from your statements here is it safe to assume majority of you have Z3 (single sim) versions with self cracking screens?

Those who own the Dual sim version Sony Xperia Z3 D6633, have your screens self crack in any way?

Just would like to know how many Sony Xperia Z3 D6633 owners have issues of self cracking screens.

Artood2s

Jun 4, 2007
Not sure what to think regarding this. Seems like too much of a coincidence for people to have the same hairline crack, but after having owned mine for over a month, it is still perfectly fine. I even "tested" it in as harsh a condition as I would subject an expensive electronic on purpose. Went for a 21.5 mile bike ride on Saturday. The phone was in an Ibera phone case mounted to the stem. Road bike with no suspension (carbon fork). The ride was 85% road, 10% sidewalk, and 5% mild offroad. Seeying as the mounting point is straight on the back of the phone, this surely would have caused a crack if the galss is fragile. Nothing happened. Guess I was either lucky, or this is more a QC issue rather than a design flaw.

youwonder

Dec 22, 2011
Not sure what to think regarding this. Seems like too much of a coincidence for people to have the same hairline crack, but after having owned mine for over a month, it is still perfectly fine. I even "tested" it in as harsh a condition as I would subject an expensive electronic on purpose. Went for a 21.5 mile bike ride on Saturday. The phone was in an Ibera phone case mounted to the stem. Road bike with no suspension (carbon fork). The ride was 85% road, 10% sidewalk, and 5% mild offroad. Seeying as the mounting point is straight on the back of the phone, this surely would have caused a crack if the galss is fragile. Nothing happened. Guess I was either lucky, or this is more a QC issue rather than a design flaw.

Yeah I agree that it's probably a QC issue, since getting my replacement unit I haven't had any problems with the back fracturing randomly. Shame that it had to be an issue in the first place but it's good to see it's not widespread or continuing.

Xalies

Nov 16, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
After having my phone for just a month my front glass also cracked but I did just get home from using the gps to an air con'd house so I thought it might of had to do with the temperature change
I sent my phone back to sony for warranty a few days ago so hopefully they will fix it for free

sofcor

Jan 13, 2015
It doesn't crack easily, but it seems to happen yeah.

I know this was an issue with the Z2 as well (know 1 or 2 ppl suffering from it) and hope it's not a wide-spread one with the Z3. The fact that it performs as some hoovercraft thingie floating over flat services is kinda annoying though, fell a few times here as well already but luckily no damage so far.

I've had them same problem to the point where I'm afraid to place it down anywhere so I'm always fishing it out of my pocket. Can't wait to get this thing in a case!

goosebickel

Nov 11, 2010
Cardiff
My front screen cracked in top right hand corner, digitiser did not work above that area, phone was just in my front pocket. Broke whilst driving, was in a tough case too.
Luckily Sony fixed it under warranty. Got it back 2 days ago. It came back with a different iemi and the Boot loader relocked, so probably a brand new device.
United kingdom, fixed in Kent, took 8 days to get it back.

Last edited:

santoshcoolhere

Feb 26, 2011
Bangalore
I have a query. I dropped my Z3 from shoulder height and the back glass cracked right from the middle. I want to get it replaced but i'm afraid that the phone will lose its waterproofing ability. Can anyone tell me whether changing rear glass affect the phone's waterproofing ability?

andiling

Dec 26, 2008
I have been using my Xperia Z3 C6603 for just a month and out of nothing the backside glass was broken. I even did not know when this happened as I have it in a (Sony) cover all the time and just wanted to take it out for cleaning. It was neither falling down nor mistreated in any other way as it is basically most of the day on my desk in office and inbetween in the pocket.

I called Xperia support and they told me they would repair it free of charge as it happened just after five weeks. They gave me instruction to apply for a repair of defective unit. Yesterday was then the big surprise as they want to charge huge money for that.

new display € 150 ~ US$ 165
cosmetic repair € 40 ~ US$44
shipping € 15 ~ US$ 16
handling fee € 39 ~ US$ 43
total € 244 ~ US$ 268

I called them up again but the lady on the other hand of the phone told me that's the only solution she can provide. I asked then what the reason for their denial of repair under warranty is and what they think how this happened but she was not able or not willingly to give me any information.

From my point of view a device should survive more than a month daily standard usage. Problems can occur and good support in such situation is basically for a good company with good products. And here Sony failed desperately refusing to repair a unit which is only one month old.

I had the Z, Z1 and have the Z2 aside the Z3 (not to talk about a Sony DSLR and TV). If I buy a supreme device from the Xperia line I expect appropriate support.

Firstly over phone they agreed on a warranty repair. Secondly, without any further explanation they ask to pay € 244 for a one month old device. The quotation itself is overpriced for a piece of glass and I guess some minutes work of applying. Thirdly, I need to pay € 10 to get it back.

I am done with Sony now. It's not that the unit was faulty as this can happen anytime but the way Sony treats customers.

Btw I checked with the shop where I got the piece of trash as well and they told me that repairs, etc. will be handled by Sony directly. If they refuse to do that free of charge they may have their reasons and they will follow their decision. So, I am doomed!

DSC05032.jpg

DSC05033.jpg

DSC05034.jpg

Screenshot_26_03_2015_09_22_29_ver001.jpg

Incanity

Apr 17, 2008
IJmuiden
I have been using my Xperia Z3 C6603 for just a month and out of nothing the backside glass was broken. I even did not know when this happened as I have it in a (Sony) cover all the time and just wanted to take it out for cleaning. It was neither falling down nor mistreated in any other way as it is basically most of the day on my desk in office and inbetween in the pocket.

I called Xperia support and they told me they would repair it free of charge as it happened just after five weeks. They gave me instruction to apply for a repair of defective unit. Yesterday was then the big surprise as they want to charge huge money for that.

new display € 150 ~ US$ 165
cosmetic repair € 40 ~ US$44
shipping € 15 ~ US$ 16
handling fee € 39 ~ US$ 43
total € 244 ~ US$ 268

I called them up again but the lady on the other hand of the phone told me that's the only solution she can provide. I asked then what the reason for their denial of repair under warranty is and what they think how this happened but she was not able or not willingly to give me any information.

From my point of view a device should survive more than a month daily standard usage. Problems can occur and good support in such situation is basically for a good company with good products. And here Sony failed desperately refusing to repair a unit which is only one month old.

I had the Z, Z1 and have the Z2 aside the Z3 (not to talk about a Sony DSLR and TV). If I buy a supreme device from the Xperia line I expect appropriate support.

Firstly over phone they agreed on a warranty repair. Secondly, without any further explanation they ask to pay € 244 for a one month old device. The quotation itself is overpriced for a piece of glass and I guess some minutes work of applying. Thirdly, I need to pay € 10 to get it back.

I am done with Sony now. It's not that the unit was faulty as this can happen anytime but the way Sony treats customers.

Btw I checked with the shop where I got the piece of trash as well and they told me that repairs, etc. will be handled by Sony directly. If they refuse to do that free of charge they may have their reasons and they will follow their decision. So, I am doomed!

Wow..
I've had a crack in my screen in my C6603 (XZ) before, but it looked nothing like this... That was only 1 tear from the top of the device to the side. This seriously looks like you tried to hit it with a bat.
Did you expose it to alot of big temperature changes?

*EDIT*: Or is the cover you're using ridiculously tight around the phone?

Last edited:

andiling

Dec 26, 2008
lol... no hammer.

The cover is from Sony (WCR14) so I assume it is fitting. Best is due to the Qi-charging in the cover the backside is rock solid and cannot be bend or malformed in any way. The design is really not nice but I thought it would be at least protective.

I had the Z, Z1, Z2 and now the Z3. Never anything like that happened. The temperature varies fom 0°C (outside) to roughly 37°C (in my pocket). Basically just everyday use.

But I am open to plausible explanations.

Incanity

Apr 17, 2008
IJmuiden
Well I'd show them these pictures and ask them to explain how the back of the phone could have exploded inside the case. You can clearly see that the shards of glass that came out are now stuck in the case.
If the glass broke outside of the case, and was then put inside the case, you wouldn't have this type of damage in the case.

I don't see a valid reason for a phone that has THIS much damage when inside a case.
True, the case doesn't protect against everything, but if there was enough force on the package for the glass to break like this, that would mean that the front of the phone would also be destroyed.

You probably need a lot of patience for a warranty repair, with alot of back-and-forth on whether or not this is your own fault, but I'd surely give it my best if I were you.

vogonpoetlaureate

Feb 4, 2013
Megabrantis Cluster
I was so excited to finally own my first flagship phone, when I found I needed to get it replaced due to a problem with the light sensor. Sorted out the exchange with O2 (UK) and then left the phone charging on the magnetic dock. A couple of hours later, when I go to take it off the charger to factory reset the phone, I find the back looking like this:

CPOxMLo.jpg

:crying:

It was just sitting in the charger and was a bit warm but I wouldn't say it was overheating. I hope you can see from the picture that there is no sign of stress, bending, scuffs or any marks that would suggest an impact, flexing or crushing. It being my first proper expensive phone, I was treating it with kid gloves. It was in a protective case from the moment I got it, never in a pocket, never in danger of anything. Only had it a few days, although it was a refurbished unit (I still can't avoid being a bit cheap).

I feared the worst, worrying that O2 would say I dropped it and refuse to repair/replace it unless I paid. To my surprise they were very understanding when I spoke to them on the phone and explained the situation. After speaking with one representative and then directly to an engineer, between them they arranged for a courier pickup and replacement which will be here on Tuesday.

I know some people have had a lot of problems with their providers (and also people on O2), but I just wanted to let people know about an instance where there was some good customer service for a change. :good:

Now let's hope the next one fares a bit better...

Anyone else have problems with their light sensor?

TheTeslaCoil

Apr 14, 2015
The screen is tough.
People who brake them, are not careful enough.
It is a glass phone, not a brick wall.

andiling

Dec 26, 2008
I disagree.

If you create a phone out of glass it must survive daily standard usage. And it does as I never had problems for years (used Xperia from the very first Z device).

A hairline crack may not be seen immediately and it may burst at any occasion. I don't think it's the fault of the customer if this happens within reasonable time-frame after buying.

However, you may think different if you experience such case for the first time. I do so now.

TheTeslaCoil

Apr 14, 2015
I disagree.

If you create a phone out of glass it must survive daily standard usage. And it does as I never had problems for years (used Xperia from the very first Z device).

A hairline crack may not be seen immediately and it may burst at any occasion. I don't think it's the fault of the customer if this happens within reasonable time-frame after buying.

However, you may think different if you experience such case for the first time. I do so now.

True, but warranty must and should cover that.

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
The screen is tough.
People who brake them, are not careful enough.
It is a glass phone, not a brick wall.

sorry that's a load of rubbish mine broke yesterday inside my pocket, took it out took a few pictures of my kids on a day out put it in my pocket, took it back out to take some more and boom cracked.

never broke a phone before and i treat all my phones like babies as i sell them every 12 months. was with a few people yesterday and nobody could explain how it broke, oh and the crck is on the inside of the glass you cant even feel it with a nail.

TheTeslaCoil

Apr 14, 2015
sorry that's a load of rubbish mine broke yesterday inside my pocket, took it out took a few pictures of my kids on a day out put it in my pocket, took it back out to take some more and boom cracked.

never broke a phone before and i treat all my phones like babies as i sell them every 12 months. was with a few people yesterday and nobody could explain how it broke, oh and the crck is on the inside of the glass you cant even feel it with a nail.

Did you expose him to a lot of sun heat ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    phones have glass screens. Glass screens break on some occasions. Water is wet.

add every report you can find and what do we get? 20? lets make it 100. Of 100 000 phones sold (which is serious lowballing) that is 0.1%.

so even if it seems bad it's not really an issue
    Well I accidentally tested the sturdiness of the phone when I pulled my jacket up and forgot that phone was on top of it. Well nice 1,5m fall with some momentum and not a single scratch. Phew.
    Using glass phones since 2011. IPhone 4, XZ and now XZ3 without protective cases. No scratches, no shattering, no bending. People just need to learn how to take care of their stuff. Those devices are not made of titanium.
    Shadstheman90, you probably hit it somewhere but you don't remember.
    Hi, I got a hairline crack on the back as well. Phone has never been dropped, you could actually see the edges for damage if a drop has accrued. Phone still seems to be waterproof even with the crack there.

Fgzi5L0.jpg

4B6zGyk.jpg

LBdhQTG.jpg

Anyone with any knowledge on this issue, would it be possible to get a replacement? :(
    Hi, I got a hairline crack on the back as well. Phone has never been dropped, you could actually see the edges for damage if a drop has accrued. Phone still seems to be waterproof even with the crack there.

Fgzi5L0.jpg

4B6zGyk.jpg

LBdhQTG.jpg

Anyone with any knowledge on this issue, would it be possible to get a replacement? :(

Wow :( sad. I'm scared now.