• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Screen Flicker - Response from HTC

Search This thread

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
:confused::confused: Indeed that is really weird... however the device I sent back always had flicker no matter what but what you are reporting is really interesting

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Actually as I just said It always happened to me. So maybe we got two kind of issues...
Don't get me wrong that was the first time I had not seen flicker in a while and it didn't last long did it :( Normally it's always there too, but normally the CPU is above 30 degrees I believe also so maybe something points towards that.

Talk about us all clutching at straws or what trying to make some sense of this.

Reactions: joplayer

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
Snow and sun photo in the gallery is the best way to see this in a most obvious way.
Agreed, You should see some flicker around the sun on the grey part. The multitasking screen is also a good place when you look in the centre. Another place is on the brightness screen when you have the popup and also in the messages app when you long press on a conversation. Oh and not to forget when the Google Play store is loading... Wait theres lots of places isn't there lol.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
There's no question it's a real issue. And it does show up inconsistently on devices that are affected. It also doesn't exist on every device. I'd bet a very small percentage are individual Teg3 chips that are out-of-spec which would be h/w. The rest are almost surely related to Nvidia's drivers and low-level code which is s/w. The fact that no XL has experienced anything similar kind of lets the display and HTC provided s/w off the hook as they’re identical on both devices.

fekle

Dec 11, 2011
Vienna
My Second One X just startet flickering a few days ago, however flickering is getting stronger... Im getting my 3rd Phone now, hopefully a MT24!

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Beirut
twitter.com
There's no question it's a real issue. And it does show up inconsistently on devices that are affected. It also doesn't exist on every device. I'd bet a very small percentage are individual Teg3 chips that are out-of-spec which would be h/w. The rest are almost surely related to Nvidia's drivers and low-level code which is s/w. The fact that no XL has experienced anything similar kind of lets the display and HTC provided s/w off the hook as they’re identical on both devices.

XL is not even out

and i tested the snow and sun image on every device i touch six so far and never seen it, on all brightness levels, i also used display tester to check

anyway if it disappears than we are dealing with the same kind of software problem as the glitch

Last edited:

janne303

Dec 3, 2008
I have reseted my device before sending it DOA. I just wanted to be sure it was faulty so after haveing it off for an hour I turned it on. And in the setupmeny it flickered so I dont think is a getting warm och cpu issue.

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
like u just described it its software

if its happening all the time than its hardware

i thought the affected phones will always show it at the snow+sun photo?

It starts off intermittent, then over a few days it develops into a permanent flicker.
To me (and working in a software company so have some experience in diagnosing bugs and also hardware failures) this is almost definitely hardware, I can't think of anything software wise that would cause it to get gradually worse and worse

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Reactions: DazNoonan

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Beirut
twitter.com
seems its a tegra issue just google screen flicker and tegra, different tegra devices

HTC would have never went NV if qualcomm finished their 4x s4!

im almost convinced 99% of the One X issues are all Tegra3 caused

again the HT24 i had, had no flicker

Last edited:

RomNoR

Jul 29, 2009
I just finished talking to HTC and i think i want to throw the phone out the window.

"TOUGH LUCK
RETURN PERIOD IS OVER
SEND IT TO THE BUTCHERS SO THEY CAN PUT ANOTHER DEFECT SCREEN IN YOUR PHONE"

DONT FORGET TO BUY OUR NEXT PHONE!!!
THANK YOU COME AGAIN.

Great.

I wish their stock crashes into the f***ing ground!!!!

oxfordmark

Mar 3, 2011
I am nottakibg it back.some with ht24 have the yellow spot problems. All screen issues should be reported to HTC. And keep asking if they know of this issue.

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
seems its a tegra issue just google screen flicker and tegra, different tegra devices

HTC would have never went NV if qualcomm finished their 4x s4!

im almost convinced 99% of the One X issues are all Tegra3 caused

again the HT24 i had, had no flicker

That still doesn't explain how it gets worse though, if it was a tegra/software issue, then yeah it would be there, but it would be there from day one, and the symptoms would remain the same. This isn't the case, I bet I won't see it for a couple of days, but then come to 4 days from having it, and it'll be there almost permanently. It's like theres a component that is slowly (well quickly) but surely failing and if I had a device long enough, it would probably pack up altogether.
Btw I'm on the second ht24 device, both had flicker issue

Edit: I'm on the first day with this one, and have already seen it several times. It's just not permanently flickering yet.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Beirut
twitter.com
yes but both our polls are not crossing 25% defect, 800 voters so far

look dont get me wrong i was lucky to able to return mine, although all my friends thought im being picky it was beautiful and perfect with just a slight flex to the left of the screen

now i cant wait to buy it again

cagdasal

Apr 17, 2012
london
Im currently on my 3rd phone, its a HT24 and i still have some flicker. I've had this one for 3 days now, was ok on day one, no flicker at all, but now i am starting to see flickering on low brightness levels. This is such an annoying issue, going to get my 4th phone tomorrow. I wish HTC would just let us know whats going on....

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
yes but both our polls are not crossing 25% defect, 800 voters so far

look dont get me wrong i was lucky to able to return mine, although all my friends thought im being picky it was beautiful and perfect with just a slight flex to the left of the screen

now i cant wait to buy it again

Wouldnt that fact prove it is hardware then :D

Either that or people simply can't see it flickering, my mum couldn't see it, even with her glasses on (kinda leads me to believe only people with decent eyesight can actually see it lol)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I just can't see how it can be hardware...

Mine is flickering at times too.It seems like just about every device that is out there is doing it. I still think its software based, and probably a setting to do with the LCD display. If its hardware then HTC are going to run out of phones...
    Oh i see, my serial starts HT24
    You are getting me a little worried about this flickering.
    When I check the brightness adjust screen (at 100%) the grey area around the box has a tiny tiny little flickering - as in it seems like the brightness dims a little and turns the brightness up very little 1-2 times a sec, but it is nothing I notice during usage, only at this particularity place when I look for it. It is from HT23 batch.

It it this you are talking about, or is it much more visible?

And well, just checked the screen while it charged and I would say it was gone...

No.. on my second phone it is like that.. it does not go away when charging though.

On my first it was constant flicker no matter which brightness setting it was set to... Much much worse than on the One X that I have now..
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Olga.
    lalit sehgal: hi htc how r u?
    Olga: Hi lalit, thank you for contacting HTC Support. How may I help you today?
    lalit sehgal: well i have jst one queery regarding one x
    Olga: Yes of course, what is it?
    lalit sehgal: well i got this yesterday and really pissed off coz of screen flickering
    lalit sehgal: specially when gray colours are produced
    lalit sehgal: its so annoying
    lalit sehgal: is it software or hardware related......
    lalit sehgal: coz if its hardware i will return this piece of crap....
    Olga: I am not quite sure as this isnt something i have come across, have you tried anything to resolve this at all?
    lalit sehgal: well there are forums loaded with this issue
    lalit sehgal: many across globe are facing it
    Olga: yes but i am afraid as customers dont come to us directly, we have no way of knowing about such issues.
    lalit sehgal: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1597448
    Olga: you can certainly try the full factory reset as a last resort to see if it helps.
    lalit sehgal: i did
    lalit sehgal: no help no use
    Olga: If you still have the problem then it is most likely a hardware fault
    lalit sehgal: i am not sure why all of us are facing this
    Olga: and in this case would be best if you returned the phone to the store
    lalit sehgal: u mean hardware faults with so many sold......
    lalit sehgal: what abt quality check?
    Olga: as i have mentioned we are not aware of this issue.
    Olga: We do not know how many devices are affected.

HAHAHAHA response frm htc.....can u believe this