Screen Flicker - Response from HTC

Search This thread

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
First, not all One X's have the flickering problem. Mine doesn't. Who knows what percentage are affected. Somebody in the U.S. bought a AT&T One XL development sample off of eBay. It doesn't have these issues and neither does the One S using the same S4 chip. The problem is most likely related to Teg3 drivers; just like on the Prime.
Yeah its hard to know how many have been affected, which again is why we need that official statement. For now the options are either keep exchanging your phone until you manage to get one that is okay or I guess cancel your contact/upgrade or SIM Free order and wait until HTC have fixed the device or an alternative device comes out I guess.

At the moment I am swapping my second device for a third, but I do feel this will be the last one I take so I have my fingers and toes crossed that its okay as taking away these niggling bugs the phone is amazing.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
The best way to get some reponse is to SPAM HTC Facebook and Twitter account they have to respond because it will affect their image badly and HTC PR will have to pressure the developement to release some offical statment.

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
We tried this over the last couple of days, I even had links in my signature to get people to comment and get HTC listening but it just didn't work.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
which again is why we need that official statement.

It's probably stumping HTC too. I got a second white One X (HT23) from Handtec today and it doesn't flicker either. I'm guessing HTC is dependent on Nvidia to come up with both a diagnosis and repair just as Asus was. So while we haven't heard anything that doesn't mean steam isn't coming out of the pipes in Taiwan with engineers scrambling for a fix. A "we're aware of the issue and working on it" would be nice but their probably waiting to figure it out before making a statement (or just pushing a fix). That’s kind of the way the 2G bug in the GN was handled by Samsung/Google. The Teg3 Acer A510 tablet's coming in out in a week or two. It'll be interesting to see if it experiences the same type of issues. This isn't winning Nvidia any friends with the manufacturers.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
If some sites like GSMarena or Engadget reports this then they will respond sadly HTC has influenced them by provding updates etc. :(

evo6

Jan 19, 2005
Exactly the same with me!

Mines the same if i turn it to full brightness you can see the flicker on the transparent screen in the background. Mine only does it when the screen is faded in the background. Its going back today i'm going to test my new phone in the store before i it bring else i'm going to cancel my contract and wait for them to fix it or buy the s3 when it comes out!

Update: Got my new phone and its flicker free :D so far anyway....

Last edited:

evangeloschr

Apr 13, 2012
Just updated my phone and i see no flickering at all. It seems that its dissappeared. I will be using my phone until the battery drains to see if the flickering appear again.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

DaveDesire

Apr 22, 2010
The flickering seems pretty inconsistent.

I got it this morning for the first time. I was on low brightness and could see it in the settings menu and on the snowy sun picture. I moved brightness up to auto and couldn't see it anymore, I then moved it back to low and flickering hasn't come back... yet.

franjiepans

May 13, 2010
Just installed the update, the flickering seems to be worse. This does make me pleased that I am replacing the phone for another one.

Just waiting for Dialaphone to send me the envelope through.

Such a pain.

BustaVR6

Oct 18, 2011
Update via OTA to 1.28.401.9

Always screen flicker...

Is your phone unbranded? I'm on an older version but don't seem to be offered an update.

I can't decide if I should swap my phone or not, I definitely have a flicker I just wish I knew if HTC will fix it with a software update.

I don't even know what o2 offer with regards returns. My 7 days is Friday...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
Is your phone unbranded? I'm on an older version but don't seem to be offered an update.

I can't decide if I should swap my phone or not, I definitely have a flicker I just wish I knew if HTC will fix it with a software update.

the 7 days is a cooling off period, you could even cancel the contract before then if you wish (obviously returning the phone as well) - i expect o2 will allow you to exchange the device for a new one as well

Reactions: BustaVR6

optiknerv

Aug 30, 2008
Ellesmere Port
www.facebook.com

HERE is o2's return and exchange policy

Reactions: BustaVR6

BustaVR6

Oct 18, 2011
Excellent. 28 days for faults. Thanks for the link.

I'll sit tight for a couple of weeks in case HTC can come up with a software update to address it. I do love this phone :)

d33f

Apr 18, 2010
Kerkrade, The Netherlands
The flickering seems pretty inconsistent.

I got it this morning for the first time. I was on low brightness and could see it in the settings menu and on the snowy sun picture. I moved brightness up to auto and couldn't see it anymore, I then moved it back to low and flickering hasn't come back... yet.

When your phone is on the charger or when the battery is almost full you don't have any flickering even on the lowest setting, but if you try the same with a lower charge on the battery (let's say lower than 50%) it will start to flicker again on the lowest brightness setting.

At least in my case though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I just can't see how it can be hardware...

Mine is flickering at times too.It seems like just about every device that is out there is doing it. I still think its software based, and probably a setting to do with the LCD display. If its hardware then HTC are going to run out of phones...
    Oh i see, my serial starts HT24
    You are getting me a little worried about this flickering.
    When I check the brightness adjust screen (at 100%) the grey area around the box has a tiny tiny little flickering - as in it seems like the brightness dims a little and turns the brightness up very little 1-2 times a sec, but it is nothing I notice during usage, only at this particularity place when I look for it. It is from HT23 batch.

It it this you are talking about, or is it much more visible?

And well, just checked the screen while it charged and I would say it was gone...

No.. on my second phone it is like that.. it does not go away when charging though.

On my first it was constant flicker no matter which brightness setting it was set to... Much much worse than on the One X that I have now..
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Olga.
    lalit sehgal: hi htc how r u?
    Olga: Hi lalit, thank you for contacting HTC Support. How may I help you today?
    lalit sehgal: well i have jst one queery regarding one x
    Olga: Yes of course, what is it?
    lalit sehgal: well i got this yesterday and really pissed off coz of screen flickering
    lalit sehgal: specially when gray colours are produced
    lalit sehgal: its so annoying
    lalit sehgal: is it software or hardware related......
    lalit sehgal: coz if its hardware i will return this piece of crap....
    Olga: I am not quite sure as this isnt something i have come across, have you tried anything to resolve this at all?
    lalit sehgal: well there are forums loaded with this issue
    lalit sehgal: many across globe are facing it
    Olga: yes but i am afraid as customers dont come to us directly, we have no way of knowing about such issues.
    lalit sehgal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597448
    Olga: you can certainly try the full factory reset as a last resort to see if it helps.
    lalit sehgal: i did
    lalit sehgal: no help no use
    Olga: If you still have the problem then it is most likely a hardware fault
    lalit sehgal: i am not sure why all of us are facing this
    Olga: and in this case would be best if you returned the phone to the store
    lalit sehgal: u mean hardware faults with so many sold......
    lalit sehgal: what abt quality check?
    Olga: as i have mentioned we are not aware of this issue.
    Olga: We do not know how many devices are affected.

HAHAHAHA response frm htc.....can u believe this