• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Screen locks up

Search This thread

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
Anyone else? I push the power button to turn the screen on and the soft keys light up and no screen. It has been happening every couple of hours for the past 3 days. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Mes3

Jan 17, 2011
Never had it happen to me. There's a new update seeding out. Maybe that will help? Have wiped your cache? I had to do that after a factory reset to get my WiFi working correctly.

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
Got the update has not happened today the only thing I can figure at this point is I had cellular back up set up on Google photos turned that of and SEEMS to have helped

marcram

Jul 13, 2010
Yes, super annoying, HTC and Sprint should address

Any progress on a solution? Please acknowledge with a comment on my YouTube video. With a rooted rom, the screen blackout issue causes a reboot. My phone is barely usable at this point. Blackouts happen randomly and can hardly unlock it. About to send it back to HTC as sprint wants to charge me 75 bucks to look at it.

Search, HTC Bolt blackout problem, I'm not allowed to post links here.

Hopefully can be fixed in software.

Anyone else? I push the power button to turn the screen on and the soft keys light up and no screen. It has been happening every couple of hours for the past 3 days. Any ideas or suggestions?

Reactions: jayshocka

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
Since I posted I have taken the update cleared cache and turned google photos settings to insult update on Wi-Fi when charging I have not had any issues since those 3 things

marcram

Jul 13, 2010
I just cleared cache and disabled photo uploading. How did you figure it was google photos? I'll report back.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Still having the problem after the suggestions. Blacks out on pretty much any long press: to drag an icon,swype, etc.

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
I noticed that it happened again and when the screen turned on the camera was open. I have removed the camera from my lock screen short cuts... Will report back

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
Happened 2x today just a thought I noticed that the edge of my screen protector is covering half way on the front facing camera will change it when I get home. Perhaps messing with the sensor????

marcram

Jul 13, 2010
My bolt has no case, still happens.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

I also disabled auto brightness, but didn't help. Ran in safe mode, didn't help. But it never messed up in boatloader menu, so perhaps software issue. If there is stock android Rom without sense that can run on bolt, I'd like to load it to see if problem is still there. Is there one?

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Does your problem seem like this?

Motfiamike

Apr 3, 2011

I had a similar issue, mine went crazy and was rebooting randomly thought out the day as well though. I never rooted or anything. I ended up sending it back to HTC they have had it for a week and it's still "in repair". I started to tap the back of the phone when the screen wouldn't turn on and it eventually would work for whatever that's worth

Reactions: jayshocka

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
I had a similar issue, mine went crazy and was rebooting randomly thought out the day as well though. I never rooted or anything. I ended up sending it back to HTC they have had it for a week and it's still "in repair". I started to tap the back of the phone when the screen wouldn't turn on and it eventually would work for whatever that's worth
Did you get your phone from HTC or sprint

marcram

Jul 13, 2010
Got mine through Sprint too. Here is another video of the problem

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Sprint warranty is like 20 days. HTC warranty is longer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I narrowed the problem down. Any firm press or swipe on the upper half of the screen blacks out the screen and can cause a reboot. Also sending or back to HTC. Luckily I have a backup phone.
    got my Bolt back, so far so good, but it's only been active a day
    Yes, super annoying, HTC and Sprint should address

Any progress on a solution? Please acknowledge with a comment on my YouTube video. With a rooted rom, the screen blackout issue causes a reboot. My phone is barely usable at this point. Blackouts happen randomly and can hardly unlock it. About to send it back to HTC as sprint wants to charge me 75 bucks to look at it.

Search, HTC Bolt blackout problem, I'm not allowed to post links here.

Hopefully can be fixed in software.

What if they intentionally flashed back (thinking that this latest patch is causing the issue) and then borked it from updating to the latest (to avoid another issue)? I don't remember what it was on before, other than it was on the latest because I'm OCD about checking for updates when I start setting up a device. Can you let me know what the Android Security Patch date on the 1.32.651.6 RUU is? I'm on 1.17.651.22 on my newly received Bolt and it's December 1st? Wondering if this is what they did and if this would be a way to tell if they rolled me back from when I sent it in for repair. (I have confirmed that this is the same device that I shipped in.)

I read in this thread that people have tried rolling back, but they still had the issue aftewards. I'm wondering if they do some magic back at the HTC support center and then handicap the devices, so to speak, from updating.

I'm afraid of updating to the latest RUU and being back in the same boat. THX.

1.32.651.6 has security patch of Jan 2017...that's odd that HTC would roll it back...they're notorious for flashing the latest...but I can tell you, this issue was definitely present on 1.17.651.22, so I don't see how updating to the latest would be any worse.

your issue could be a mistake or intentional, I wouldn't think they would do that though....very strange!