Screen Mirroring... Do we have ANY options?

Search This thread

|mpulse

Mar 26, 2010
I know there is no MHL - even tested to be positive and it doesn't work - however, wondering what other options potentially exist for screen mirroring to a TV?

Not interested in DLNA (I've used Skifka/similar and it's good) but I want to mirror so I can stream anything from the N7 (games, Hulu, etc.) to my TV.

Thanks!

kisrita

I know there is no MHL - even tested to be positive and it doesn't work - however, wondering what other options potentially exist for screen mirroring to a TV?

Not interested in DLNA (I've used Skifka/similar and it's good) but I want to mirror so I can stream anything from the N7 (games, Hulu, etc.) to my TV.

Thanks!

Roku juice if you own a Roku for some content, I don't think games, but I haven't tried...
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

|mpulse

Mar 26, 2010
Roku juice if you own a Roku for some content, I don't think games, but I haven't tried...
Does it support Hulu or other streaming services, or just media that's on your local device? If the latter then it's the same as DLNA/Skifka.

kisrita

Does it support Hulu or other streaming services, or just media that's on your local device? If the latter then it's the same as DLNA/Skifka.

if you have a Roku hooked up to your TV already, there are separate channels for things like Hulu and Netflix. You would stream to Roku direct over wifi from internet, not through the android device. The Roku juice channel and application just enables you to stream media from the android to the TV through Roku. I have only tried it for pictures, and not with Jellybean yet at all. I doubt it works unless the media is located on your android. I can test tonight when I get home, I'm at work now.

Grims

Dec 5, 2007
I am not sure if it will even support WiFI Direct Display mirroring as has been demoed on the OMAP 4 series chipset. As, that was one of the advantages the OMAP4 had over the Tegra 3. In either case we haven't seen a lot happen with that either.

theshree

Jul 25, 2012
Just an update to my post, I tested the Roku juice demo on the nexus 7, it seems to work for local media and had a podcast option I didn't know what to do with. But no streaming of games.

If i get install the Nexus & with the plex app and use it to stream the content to the roku box ( $50) version would that work always for audio video and images? And when I have the roku and the tablet set u on the same wifi network...would streaming from my nexus to the roku use my data or bandwidth?

kisrita

If i get install the Nexus & with the plex app and use it to stream the content to the roku box ( $50) version would that work always for audio video and images? And when I have the roku and the tablet set u on the same wifi network...would streaming from my nexus to the roku use my data or bandwidth?

You would install Plex server on a PC, and the Plex media channel on the Roku, and/or Plex media app on the android device. With this setup, you could stream videos from your PC, or from the Internet (if using Internet channels like Hulu) to either the Roku, or to your Android device. The Roku uses your wifi network, android devices can use wifi or cellphone data.

If you are trying to stream a video saved on your android device to your TV, then you don't use Plex. You would need Roku juice installed on the android and on the Roku box too. Note, I only tried this with their demo app, which is limited to the first video and I did not see the Transformers video in the list. I don't know if that is a demo limitation, or if the Roku juice app can only stream videos you record on your android device.