Screen on time

Search This thread

Hildr

May 2, 2017
The built-in battery meter is like you say "funny". I could reach 80h sot since it was not resetted if not charged to 100%, not sure if it's always the case.
Use an app like accuBattery for far better tracking, and you will see the bad with this phone is not the SOT but the off screen drain that is around 1%/h and is huge crap like this. I should have stayed in .128 where I had 0.3%/h off screen drain.
Plus, on screen time doesn't mean anything, you can have 15h sot by just using a lightweight app like webtoon or just having the screen on without doing anything, or having 3h sot by play pubg for 3h or having 0h sot by never turning on the screen and just waiting the off screen drain do its thing whintout charging it for 90h.
That mean your SOT will decrease if you use heavily your phone or if you don't use it a lot, since your battery will goes with screen off. It's what happening the weekend for me, I don't charge if for the all weekend, reaching 40-50h without charge, but with a SOT of 3h. Then I reach a SOT of 8h when a use it for 8h straight with light apps. On one hand my phone last more than two days with a "crappy" SOT, on the other hand I have a "good" SOT but the phone don't last a day.

Accubattery will give you a more accurate screen on drain, screen off drain, mix off the two corresponding to YOUR usage and time and speed of the drain for each app. Just need to use it for a week or two to have accurate mean measures. (And will explain you charhing your battery to 100% will decrease its lifespan, that's why the led turns green at 90%).

Last edited:
Reactions: andrei80

andrei80

Jul 30, 2012
Barlad
Huawei P20 Pro
Huawei P30 Pro
Yes, the standby drain is pretty bad since pie update, just like you said. Also, last night I used YouTube through a Bluetooth speaker for 4+h and it was still at 56%. That is continuous use. Standby drain hurts battery life quite badly...

Hildr

May 2, 2017
Standby drain is bad even in Oreo, I'm still with the 157 (c432). Maybe I'll go back to the 128(c33) that was the only firmware with good battery. I upgraded for the game mode, but it's a total joke.

domy_os

Dec 26, 2006
Osijek
Do you live in area with weak signal maybe? I'm on Pie too and there is no standby drain at all, battery drops max 2% over night. Regarding screen on time, I agree with you, it can be 3 or 10 hours, depending on usage. Camera app has very big battery consumption, unbelievable, almost like playing some game.

Hildr

May 2, 2017
Not really, I've always full signal reception. But just having 4time more drain with other firmware with the same setup proves something is wrong with it. Well, I'll juste wait for the camera review of the Nokia 9 and to change it, I don't like photoprocessing with huawei phone :/ It's sad cause everything else is good.

Why does screen on time is different between GSam and system's default app? I took the screenshots at the same time and both of them showed 0 SoT right after I unplugged from charging. Also is the draining of the battery normal according to GSam? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190222_192347_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    Screenshot_20190222_192347_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 439
  • Screenshot_20190222_192359_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    Screenshot_20190222_192359_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 439

lil_kujo

Oct 29, 2015
Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 900
In my opinion and for my usage this phone has great ? and an outstanding screen on time. I have owned several devices including a note 8 exynos, p10, m8,Nokia, etc . With all of them specially the note 8 idle drain was very bad and sot was just not good at all even with all the tips and tricks to save battery, the mate 10 pro which I have now is the only phone I've had that has amazing idle time and great sot with out tickling anything. Same usage pattern and same networks , of course I has a bigger battery then all the other devices but if we look at energy management from idle it's very good, i get a 0.2% per hour with a 2% drain in almost nine hours over night. While with my note 8 I would get between 10% and 8% drain over night, had to root that device and tweak it because idle drain was just plain dumb. Any how he are some of my screen shots I am just and avg user don't really play games and i use more social media and browser etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190226_063602_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    Screenshot_20190226_063602_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 506
  • Screenshot_20190226_062403_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    Screenshot_20190226_062403_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 533
  • Screenshot_20190225_204018_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225_204018_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 538
  • Screenshot_20190225_204025_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225_204025_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 533
  • Screenshot_20190225_220303_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225_220303_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Screenshot_20190226_062247_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20190226_062247_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 496

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Very good result, what's your theme;
    It's called Pitch Black on the play store. Once installed you'll see two versions, I use the second one. Here is the link
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emui.en.com.pitch_black
    You guys know this is a waste of time without giving which model as the Pro in theory should have a better SOT with lower res and OLED
    The built-in battery meter is like you say "funny". I could reach 80h sot since it was not resetted if not charged to 100%, not sure if it's always the case.
    Use an app like accuBattery for far better tracking, and you will see the bad with this phone is not the SOT but the off screen drain that is around 1%/h and is huge crap like this. I should have stayed in .128 where I had 0.3%/h off screen drain.
    Plus, on screen time doesn't mean anything, you can have 15h sot by just using a lightweight app like webtoon or just having the screen on without doing anything, or having 3h sot by play pubg for 3h or having 0h sot by never turning on the screen and just waiting the off screen drain do its thing whintout charging it for 90h.
    That mean your SOT will decrease if you use heavily your phone or if you don't use it a lot, since your battery will goes with screen off. It's what happening the weekend for me, I don't charge if for the all weekend, reaching 40-50h without charge, but with a SOT of 3h. Then I reach a SOT of 8h when a use it for 8h straight with light apps. On one hand my phone last more than two days with a "crappy" SOT, on the other hand I have a "good" SOT but the phone don't last a day.

Accubattery will give you a more accurate screen on drain, screen off drain, mix off the two corresponding to YOUR usage and time and speed of the drain for each app. Just need to use it for a week or two to have accurate mean measures. (And will explain you charhing your battery to 100% will decrease its lifespan, that's why the led turns green at 90%).
    6 hours 20 min

Just got mine a couple of days ago and wanted to test the battery out.

I had 100% at 7.36am and then went out. I did some normal chrome browsing during that time. I also did the first big update. The translator one that was about 300meg. I downloaded around 500 songs to Spotify.

I got home around 4pm and this is where I really used it almost non stop until 8.34pm.

I watched some YouTube, a 45 min Netflix episode, a ton of web browsing, checking out all the phone settings, Facebook, and about 90 min of gaming (tower defence, top down 2D scrolling shooters).

I stopped at 8.34pm at 5% left. Phone has been on battery for around 13 hours.

Screen on time during the above time reported at 6 hours and 20 minutes.

I was pleased with that though doesn't hit much of the hype I've read lately.

Coming from a Nexus 6P, which my only complaint was battery life (3.5 your SOT on average) I'm happy and really my wish was to have a phone that I could use heavily all day without needing to recharge either at home or out with a power bank.

It's still early stages and I will keep monitoring.

I forgot to add this was at 1080p resolution.
    Sad that Moto Z Play beat this 4000mah on my Mate 10, I did lyft for 8hrs no turning off screen non stop playing Spotify and YouTube red on the background and using lyft app and Google map on the Z play and after 8hrs I still have 15% left on 40%screen brightness. The mate 10 only last 6hrs and 10%left. So lesson is don't buy Z Play then buy another more expensive phone. Bought mine $703 on ebay and I am using AT&T and I get same speed as iPhone 7 plus with regards to data speeds. I have a S8 too which I sold because of screen burn in, but the Mate 10 is a beast. It beats my S8 speed with regard to experience using the phone. And IPS is really the way to go if you use the phone how I use it everyday 8-16hrs of screen on time.