• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Screen on time

Search This thread

iSonik

Dec 7, 2010
Some people do work over phone, some play games, some watch videos, its a portable device after all. Battery backup is of essence in a portable device. With modern technology it would be only logical to have more than 5h on an device that was hundered of dollars

Yup this. I use Anki alot on my phone (like 1-2 h daily) so that already killed my S9 battery

dannotsys

Feb 17, 2016
I was able to get 7 hours and 8 minutes of sot at 10% battery left, with heavy usage of youtube premium (8h and 15 min over 4G, most time watching videos, not just listening), medium use of google play music with bluetooth earphones (around 1h and 5min over 4G) and some gaming (10 min of Clash Royale). All this after disabling most of samsung bloatware (including Bixby) with the app Package Disabler Pro and putting the not used apps to sleep, by preventing them to use the battery when not active

Last edited:

dadme

Aug 9, 2007
I was able to get 7 hours and 8 minutes of sot at 10% battery left, with heavy usage of youtube premium (8h and 15 min over 4G, most time watching videos, not just listening), medium use of google play music with bluetooth earphones (around 1h and 5min over 4G) and some gaming (10 min of Clash Royale). All this after disabling most of samsung bloatware (including Bixby) with the app Package Disabler Pro and putting the not used apps to sleep, by preventing them to use the battery when not active

What software/security patch? S9 or S9+?

dannotsys

Feb 17, 2016
What software/security patch? S9 or S9+?

Galaxy S9 SD 845, the smaller one

But that was some time ago, with android 9 and latest patch for it at that time (ZTO CSC). Now with the latest android 10 patch, I cannot properly check the screen on time from the last battery charge, due to the changes on the battery stats screen, but it is surely above 5 hours (not much gaming, only clash royale)

I would recommend however always disable the bloatware using that play store app, disable the always on display feature, bixby and put some used apps to sleep while not in use

The samsung touchscreen is very smooty and sensitive but are a big battery drainer too, so games and apps that require constant touch can increase the drain rate

hulhulsulsul

Jan 1, 2016
It is such a frustration that the battery lasts only half a day with 2 hours of screen on time. And my device is literally brand new. And i paid $490 USD for that piece of junk.

ungern

Jul 9, 2020
It is such a frustration that the battery lasts only half a day with 2 hours of screen on time. And my device is literally brand new. And i paid $490 USD for that piece of junk.

2hrs SOT as brand new?
Either it's not new, you're playing games that are processor intensive, or battery is drained by background junk.
I bought a 2 year old S9, use dual SIM and easily get 2hrs SOT on a single charge playing medium draining games.

Test Accubattery, that'll tell you what's using the juice.
Tunein for example sucks it dry, really bad app for a simple task as playing radio.

hulhulsulsul

Jan 1, 2016
Didn't have the chance to observe the battery life on Android 9.0, my phone updated itself to Android 10 One UI 2.0 right after I unboxed it. Therefore, I really don't know if it's software or hardware related. But I'm planning to downgrade to 9.0 to see if that makes any difference in terms of battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can people with the S9+ stop posting in the S9 thread please? It's irrelevant for others. Thanks
    D
    Deleted member 5746995
    My battery stats after factory reset.
    what you people do for 5hours a day on a phone?! I usually got about 1.5-2h max.
    Some people do work over phone, some play games, some watch videos, its a portable device after all. Battery backup is of essence in a portable device. With modern technology it would be only logical to have more than 5h on an device that was hundered of dollars
    Mine drained from 100 to 90 in just 7hrs with no sleeping of apps and no aod. So screwed idle time.
    We did. I'm just taking into account the others who have issues and no Facebook or AOD

Yea, dunno it's been a random issue for some and not others since my first Samsung (S5), different firmwares seems to cause different drain, but you never know what people are not telling you too, like some claiming to get 8 hours+ SOT who are actually just leaving their phone on low brightness and screen on all the time without really using it, others with bad overnight drain who failed to mention they have 200+ apps installed all with background usage enabled, people who say they have reset 100% and not installed any 3rd party when really they haven't reset at all and are just looking for a quick fix that will never arrive (Change this setting for 3 more hours SoT lol)