Screen on time

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
It's amazing how much we actually use our phones in a given day, especially when we watch "videos"! Rate this thread to express how many hours of screen-on time you can get on the Google Pixel 3a before depleting the battery.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

yabadabadooo

Dec 19, 2010
Stock Android 10

Everything on, WiFi, BT, location, screen Auto brightness, dark Mode.

Im coming from the op3 a 4h SOT device so im quite happy with the battery life of the p3a

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-133206.png
    Screenshot_20190921-133206.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 4,599
  • Screenshot_20190921-133214.png
    Screenshot_20190921-133214.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 4,550

carnivalrejectq

Stock Android 10

Everything on, WiFi, BT, location, screen Auto brightness, dark Mode.

Im coming from the op3 a 4h SOT device so im quite happy with the battery life of the p3a

You got 8 hours on the regular one? I used to have the 3A XL but then gifted it to someone and an now using an galaxy S9. Really miss having a pixel though so am thinking about picking up the regular 3A and was wondering how the battery would differ

Chris.nl

Jul 13, 2007
From full charge to zero, I could get about 10hrs of screentime consecutively browsing, but that's not how I use my phone. In 48hrs of 'normal usage' I get about 5hrs of screentime.

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
I do about 3-6 hours of BT audio streaming daily which is why there is a larger than normal screen off usage. Still nice average SOT. I have so many sessions because I try to keep my battery between 50 and 80% for longevity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190924-092247.png
    Screenshot_20190924-092247.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 2,365

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
What does Android 10 Battery say? Screen usage since full charge? Also Full charge lasts about???
Mine says 1 day 11 hours of typical usage. I always charge at night so it has rarely if ever run out.

sippinhenn

Feb 5, 2016
I got my pixel 3a a couple weeks ago and struggling the last week or so getting more than 3.5 or 4 hrs SOT. I did use GPS for a 2 hour drive home today but it's 3p and I'm down to 10%. Idunno what's going on.

Here is the other day :/

http://imgur.com/a/NGaWngV

Last edited:

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
I got my pixel 3a a couple weeks ago and struggling the last week or so getting more than 3.5 or 4 hrs SOT. I did use GPS for a 2 hour drive home today but it's 3p and I'm down to 10%. Idunno what's going on.

Here is the other day :/

http://imgur.com/a/NGaWngV

the app usage of 66% is a clue. maybe you got some crazy app eating up battery. if you have bluetooth and/or wifi scanning on continuously that can drain a bit. gsam can be setup to show which app is using most by doing the adb command. just select apps for the details if you have not already.

sippinhenn

Feb 5, 2016
the app usage of 66% is a clue. maybe you got some crazy app eating up battery. if you have bluetooth and/or wifi scanning on continuously that can drain a bit. gsam can be setup to show which app is using most by doing the adb command. just select apps for the details if you have not already.

Check out the second screenshot in that link. I've setup this via adb and had that included originally but probably wasn't obvious

BuT_TeR

Dec 2, 2011
Mumbai
9h+ , with lots of YouTube .
Elemental x Kernel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191217-081958.png
    Screenshot_20191217-081958.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,183

sippinhenn

Feb 5, 2016

Here we are after factory reset and flashing the latest OTA from

https://developers.google.com/android/images

Still can't hit 4 hrs SOT. Not once. I really don't know what to do at this point. Incredibly frustrating with everyone else on this thread having MUCH better results.

GSAM is showing some pretty beefy wakelocks on that "RemoteSoundTriggerDetection" and "*alarm*", ActivityManager-Sleep, etc.

I bought it from Best Buy. Should I go up there and see if they'll replace (highly doubt it) ? Maybe flash a custom kernel?

Last edited:

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
screen on time is a function of what a person normally does with a phone. one way to get high screen on time is you could set display intensity to 25% and timeout to 30 min. if you need that number to be higher. just let the screen be on as much as possible. when you first got it did you fully charge it then fully discharge it then fully charge again? screen on time is about the last metric i ever think about. i don't understand at all why it's so important. i'd be willing to bet some users set intensity to 20% and time out to 30 min or always on and do very little else then they get s.o.t. of 8-9 hrs or higher and think it's great when it's a joke. that's the way i look at it anyway.

sippinhenn

Feb 5, 2016
screen on time is a function of what a person normally does with a phone. one way to get high screen on time is you could set display intensity to 25% and timeout to 30 min. if you need that number to be higher. just let the screen be on as much as possible. when you first got it did you fully charge it then fully discharge it then fully charge again? screen on time is about the last metric i ever think about. i don't understand at all why it's so important. i'd be willing to bet some users set intensity to 20% and time out to 30 min or always on and do very little else then they get s.o.t. of 8-9 hrs or higher and think it's great when it's a joke. that's the way i look at it anyway.

Not sure if you're replying to me but I'll answer anyway. Yes I fully charged it then fully discharged it then fully charged again when I first got it.

It's not the SOT that is so worrisome but the constant Android system and kernel drain on my device.

I'm getting worse battery life on my 6 week old 3a than my 2.5 yo OnePlus 5 which wasn't good to begin with. This device was lauded for having excellent battery life and I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a

It isn't that at all. I found using it for anything where the phone needs to utilize the GPU a lot, like gaming, drains battery substantially. "Light" workloads, like web browsing, using social media apps, streaming video, etc give you really good battery life. Once I start up a game, I see about 5-6 hrs compared to 9.5 hrs if I just stream YouTube, check the XDA app, email, Reddit, etc.