• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Screen on time

Search This thread

paparazzo79

Nov 27, 2012
You really don't want to go above 50% and certainly not to 100% for frequent or prolong times. AMOLED displays have a finite lifespan and what burns the brightest, burns the shortest.

Using it like that in direct sunlight is especially damaging, you can fry display drivers like that especially in high ambient temperatures. The active matrix screen has 10's of thousands microscopic solid state junctions not including the OLEDs... and very little heat sinking capacity.
The OLEDs and their driver matrix generate heat, the brighter it is, the higher the current draw and heat output.
Much of the heat sinking is through the display glass its self. Glass is a fairly good insulator, worse the sun's IR energy goes in and is trapped by the glass ie greenhouse effect.

It can go over temperature very rapidly before the device can thermal shutdown to protect its self especially if the device is already running hot or charging.
Yeah but under sunlight screen is barely visible except only when you set it to 100 % brightness and you know that.

So adaptive brightness is set ON,but anyway I need to increase the brightness outdoors maybe not 100 % but 90 % but what it makes the difference then?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yeah but under sunlight screen is barely visible except only when you set it to 100 % brightness and you know that.

So adaptive brightness is set ON,but anyway I need to increase the brightness outdoors maybe not 100 % but 90 % but what it makes the difference then?
I don't use my 10+ in direct sunlight, ever.
I only use manual brightness control, easier on the eye, the display and the battery.
At over 1.5 years my display shows no damage with ScreenTest.

People need to keep their eyes and attention on their surroundings when out and about, not their bloody phone. Bad things happen fast.
I don't have that bad habit... you'll live better and longer.

paparazzo79

Nov 27, 2012
I don't use my 10+ in direct sunlight, ever.
I only use manual brightness control, easier on the eye, the display and the battery.
At over 1.5 years my display shows no damage with ScreenTest.

People need to keep their eyes and attention on their surroundings when out and about, not their bloody phone. Bad things happen fast.
I don't have that bad habit... you'll live better and longer.
How much you keep brightness outdoors?
I didn't meant I keep phone in direct sunlight but at 50 % brightness you can't see nothing on screen outdoors.
I suppose need to set it to 80-90 %.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
How much you keep brightness outdoors?
I didn't meant I keep phone in direct sunlight but at 50 % brightness you can't see nothing on screen outdoors.
I suppose need to set it to 80-90 %.
100% in seconds only and rarely.
If I need too around 70% again not for a long time. In general I refrain from outdoor use except occasional photos.

Exceptions are a unnaturally dark screen that the Samsung browser is infamous for when watching vids.
Probably about 99% of my SOT is at 50% or less.
I'm at around 32% right now, at night it drops lower. High levels aren't needed for sites like this. I run in dark mode whenever possible as well. I'll go to 50-60% for games sometimes depending on their ambience.

Using manual control makes you more aware of the levels you're using. Adjusting it now is instinctive for me. Eye fatigue is lower as well.
Auto brightness was always a mess... and a battery hog. One should at least have ability to set hysteresis and other variables. The one size fits all isn't cutting it🤣

paparazzo79

Nov 27, 2012
So after 2 months of use(purchased used phone) ,my SOT is around 7h and 30 min with most of power savings ON (whatever I could do to presrve battery,including black theme,1080p resolution etc..)
Is it bad?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
So after 2 months of use(purchased used phone) ,my SOT is around 7h and 30 min with most of power savings ON (whatever I could do to presrve battery,including black theme,1080p resolution etc..)
Is it bad?
I use Accubattery to detect when something is acting up. So I look for battery % use per hour.
Typical is 7%@hr when browsing in Brave.
9-11% when watching vids on Samsung browser.
AOD always on >1% an hour, phone and text on.
AOD tap on >.5 an hour.
This is with a new battery which was replaced about 3 months ago.

This stock 10+ is heavily reconfigured for security, speed and battery life.
Snapdragon AT&T variant running on Pie.
FHD+ resolution/power Optimized
Locked down with Adgaurd*, Package Disabler* and Karma Firewall.
No power management active. Wifi and NFC always disabled.
Google backup Transport, Firebase, Quicksearch and Framework always disabled.
Google play Services turn on as needed.

*new, just add "dns.adguard.com" as private DNS server. Works as is, very well

Typical charging/discharge profile

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-154010_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210805-154010_AccuBattery.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 21

paparazzo79

Nov 27, 2012
SOT from 90 % battery to 18 % of 6.5 hours with all power savings ON,fullHD plus resolution (80 % of time watching 1080 vids).
Is it bad?

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
SOT from 90 % battery to 18 % of 6.5 hours with all power savings ON,fullHD plus resolution (80 % of time watching 1080 vids).
Is it bad?
Not horrible, not great. I'm at 7-12%@hr SOT on my N10+ in FHD Optimized mode with no active power management.

I'd make the low end battery cut off at 30-40% and the top end at 72-85% most times to increase battery longevity.
Li's like frequent midrange power cycling.
15 minutes of fast charging gets you 30%.
So when I take a break I let my 10+ juice up a bit

paparazzo79

Nov 27, 2012
Not horrible, not great. I'm at 7-12%@hr SOT on my N10+ in FHD Optimized mode with no active power management.

I'd make the low end battery cut off at 30-40% and the top end at 72-85% most times to increase battery longevity.
Li's like frequent midrange power cycling.
15 minutes of fast charging gets you 30%.
So when I take a break I let my 10+ juice up a bit
Yep I know,that is why I charge at 20 % bat and to max 80 % and even not fast charging.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yep I know,that is why I charge at 20 % bat and to max 80 % and even not fast charging.
If you play with it you can optimize it better.

It's unacceptable if constantly at or above 12%@hr SOT with brightness less than 40% or more than 1%@hr at night with AOD always on.
At idle I want to see the ma draw drop below 100 ma at least 20% of the time and a average peak of 180-300 ma.
Otherwise you're putting needless stress on the battery and worse not getting good run times.

One of the reasons I got the 2nd 10+ was I knew I could optimize it and how to do it. They have fairly good battery life when optimized.
However they can be hot running hogs if not🤣

paparazzo79

Nov 27, 2012
I charged the phone to 90 %,and think I will like today watch whole day 1080p video on it just to see how much of a SOT will I get and post back.
I want to know if I need to replace this battery or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not able to go past the 4-5 hrs range but I do get a full day's usage..

Seeing everyone's SOT I'm confused if there's a problem with my device or it's just some settings that can make such a huge difference.. :|

keep in mind that most of SOT impressive results are achieved while web browsing or youtube watching.. etc, so no heavy gaming or 4k videos I suppose. Another crucial factor is the network signal, you get better battery life (both in screen on time and standby )when you've got a good reception and vice versa. In addition to the power mode of your device, the high-performance mode requires more power apparently.
    Rather than that, you should be on the same level of power consumption unless your Note has some hardware issue (Which I believe isn't the case).
    It's amazing how much we actually use our phones in a given day, especially when we watch "videos"! Rate this thread to express how many hours of screen-on time you can get on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ before depleting the battery.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    easy: you move to Huawei. Like I did, my note 10 plus was extremely unreliable.
    If you're so happy with Huawei, why are you still here spamming?.

Did you ever really own a Note 10+?
    I'm impressed and that's just 3rd day after factory reset. Maybe 70% time on LTE

EXYNOS

"the power of the 7nm EUV be with you too"

Sent from my SM-N975F using XDA Labs
    Is it normal that my battery life seem to drain faster on LTE than WIFI? I got average on wifi 7-8 hrs of sot and lte i got 4-6 hrs
    Im on exynos
    It's absolutely normal, LTE always consume more juice from battery compared to WiFi (both with great signal reception). I hope/believe 5G after next 1-2 years, will change this fact

Sent from my SM-N975F using XDA Labs