screen overlay detected phone cannot acces drive with apps

Search This thread

xbatis

Sep 24, 2009
Hello, I'm having issues with my N6 after the Marshmallow But I am facing a problem that for each application, I am getting screen overlay detected. If I follow on screen instructions, in settings, I can't change permission. i cannot upload any images from my phone to facebook,instagram basically any app trying to access the drive on my phone. can you guys help solve this issue.

thanks,

alryder

Apr 15, 2012
Lansing, MI
A quick Google search for "screen overlay detected" found a lot of results indicating this is due to screen filtering apps that modify the screen brightness, such as Lux, Bluelight Filter, Twilight, etc.

Reactions: padhu1989

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
A quick Google search for "screen overlay detected" found a lot of results indicating this is due to screen filtering apps that modify the screen brightness, such as Lux, Bluelight Filter, Twilight, etc.

Yes, they also prevent you granting root access to apps too. Lux is the most common. These apps put an overlay over the UI. Android protection prevents you pressing "serious" buttons in case it is the overlay working to malicious intents.

alryder

Apr 15, 2012
Lansing, MI
Hello, I'm having issues with my N6 after the Marshmallow But I am facing a problem that for each application, I am getting screen overlay detected. If I follow on screen instructions, in settings, I can't change permission. i cannot upload any images from my phone to facebook,instagram basically any app trying to access the drive on my phone. can you guys help solve this issue.

thanks,

I'm curious if you were able to resolve this issue and if it was resolved with what I found about the issue.

jokeinc

Dec 18, 2015
hello, i'm having issues with my n6 after the marshmallow but i am facing a problem that for each application, i am getting screen overlay detected. If i follow on screen instructions, in settings, i can't change permission. I cannot upload any images from my phone to facebook,instagram basically any app trying to access the drive on my phone. Can you guys help solve this issue.

Thanks,

okay. I have called google support for five nights and not one tech support person was able to help me. After countless hours of fiddling i figured out how to fix this problem. Put your phone in safe mode (press the power off button and press on the on screen power off icon until it asks if you want to go in safe mode. Press okay) then once it reboots, go to settings, then apps, click on the facebook app or whatever app you have the problem with, press permissions and then turn on all the permissions (toggle to the right and it should turn green). Repeat for whichever other apps have this problem then turn reboot the phone and voila! It's fixed. :d

nosxman

Dec 11, 2012
okay. I have called google support for five nights and not one tech support person was able to help me. After countless hours of fiddling i figured out how to fix this problem. Put your phone in safe mode (press the power off button and press on the on screen power off icon until it asks if you want to go in safe mode. Press okay) then once it reboots, go to settings, then apps, click on the facebook app or whatever app you have the problem with, press permissions and then turn on all the permissions (toggle to the right and it should turn green). Repeat for whichever other apps have this problem then turn reboot the phone and voila! It's fixed. :d

I was thinking going back to Lollipop, then you saved my days. This "Screen overlay detected" was driving me nuts as I have tons of apps that requires "Draw over other apps" such as Sidebar Launcher, SuperSU, Widgetsoid, Rotation Manager... almost 30 apps. So every time I install new app I virtually have to turn off the "Draw over other apps" for all these 30 then set the permissions then turn them on again. It's so frustrating. And if I stupidly reset permissions for all apps then virtually most are unusable. Now with Safemode I can grant an app all the permissions it requires without turn the "Draw over other apps" off.

ardicli2000

Sep 30, 2011

Best solution out there. Tnx.

Zack909

Feb 10, 2016
I have a Samsung galaxy s6 and it didn't work for me, i have tried everythings but the only way is go into ultra power safe mode and from here i was able to activate permissions for whatsapp. For activate the other apps i don't know what to do.
Sorry for my bad english but i'm desperate??

Infy_AsiX

Feb 13, 2012
Brisbane
For me it's just SwipePad that I use which has an always on overlay. If you know what apps are overlaying I've found a workaround you can setup. Ideally an app shouldn't have an invisible overlay permanently hogging resources so you should find and disable them permanently if they're unwanted anyway. An app like Elixir with it's "running" processes/services filtered to User can help finding the culprit.

So I use a workaround to quickly disable an overlay for permission toggling. A "Task Shortcut" that uses the Tasker Greenify plugin (don't know if pro is required) to Hibernate the overlay app/s, Wait for a configured time and then Wake. Note that the wake process takes five seconds to finish.

I open my shortcut from SwipePad itself for it to disable for ten seconds while I click away at permissions to my hearts content. When the time is up it resumes working normally and all is well :highfive:

Last edited:

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
For me it's just SwipePad that I use which has an always on overlay. If you know what apps are overlaying I've found a workaround you can setup. Ideally an app shouldn't have an invisible overlay permanently hogging resources so you should find and disable them permanently if they're unwanted anyway. An app like Elixir with it's "running" processes/services filtered to User can help finding the culprit.

So I use a workaround to quickly disable an overlay for permission toggling. A "Task Shortcut" that uses the Tasker Greenify plugin (don't know if pro is required) to Hibernate the overlay app/s, Wait for a configured time and then Wake. Note that the wake process takes five seconds to finish.

I open my shortcut from SwipePad itself for it to disable for ten seconds while I click away at permissions to my hearts content. When the time is up it resumes working normally and all is well :highfive:

I don't understand what you're doing. Your link is to a Task Manager Shortcut for Galaxy S3. I can see how Tasker could be used, but I don't understand how this app would be involved.

Infy_AsiX

Feb 13, 2012
Brisbane
Reactions: JimSmith94

HueyT

Apr 3, 2014
New Albany, IN

thanks,

Boot into safe mode using hardware button combo. Enable all permissions, reboot normally

yesabhijith

May 7, 2014
Palakkad
How to fix Screen Overlay Detected Error easily

thanks,

This is because of the apps that are using "draw over other apps" feature. You can just turn them off from settings. If you want a head up on how to do this, you can go to this link here. Fix screen overlay detected

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007

i'm ready to put my phone in the garbage disposal over this error. i can't get rid of it and can't even download a simple APK file from chrome without getting it. I've done everything suggested in every youtube video and what you said above.

i turn off screen overlay for every app shown, which is about 30 and i have none of the so called problem apps installed.

i go into safe mode and try to turn on a permission and I STILL GET THE SCREEN OVERLAY ERROR. i have no idea what to do or what is wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello, i'm having issues with my n6 after the marshmallow but i am facing a problem that for each application, i am getting screen overlay detected. If i follow on screen instructions, in settings, i can't change permission. I cannot upload any images from my phone to facebook,instagram basically any app trying to access the drive on my phone. Can you guys help solve this issue.

Thanks,

It's good you solved your problem. You shouldn't be running anything from Cheetah Mobile, as every single app they produce is pretty much junk.
    I don't understand what you're doing. Your link is to a Task Manager Shortcut for Galaxy S3. I can see how Tasker could be used, but I don't understand how this app would be involved.

Oops, my bad. I'll fix my post. The app is AutoShortcut.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.autoshortcut

Task Shortcut is what the system shortcut it enables is called.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone