• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Screen protectors?

Search This thread
A near-disaster today, fortunately the screen protector saved the day, but was scraped through to the glass, so it is now removed.

Anybody got any recommendations for the best replacement (It's for Mate 40 RS - but I think all 3 variants have the same screen?)

I don't mind glass (sometimes easier to fit bubble free) but only if the fingerprint sensor still works 100% (never did with my Samsungs!)

Thanks for your thoughts.

xchatter

Before the curved screens ruined the tempered glass strategy for me I always bought Nillkin tempered glasses. For my Galaxy Note 9 I didn't like them but I decided now to try again.
I ordered this one: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrySJ4R
It hasn't arrived yet but when it comes I will give feedback.
For my wife's P40 Pro I tried liquid glue(uv cured) glass protector but I hate these things. The glue always spills a bit somewhere and it's very hard to clean it. Also it starts to loosen on the edges very quickly.

Update: I received it but don't like it very much. It sticks for now and no problems for touch but still not very pleasant on the sides. I think I will look for a non glass one....

Last edited:

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010
Before the curved screens ruined the tempered glass strategy for me I always bought Nillkin tempered glasses. For my Galaxy Note 9 I didn't like them but I decided now to try again.
I ordered this one: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrySJ4R
It hasn't arrived yet but when it comes I will give feedback.
For my wife's P40 Pro I tried liquid glue(uv cured) glass protector but I hate these things. The glue always spills a bit somewhere and it's very hard to clean it. Also it starts to loosen on the edges very quickly.

Update: I received it but don't like it very much. It sticks for now and no problems for touch but still not very pleasant on the sides. I think I will look for a non glass one....
did you get it?

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010
Yep, just read the last two lines of my comment. :)
i searched for a bit. There are glasses with UV glue, which shoul fit best for this kind of screen. But i doubt glue would go far enough. I need to test one, theyare about 4 dollars. For now for all edge screens, uv was best. In my country, you can get foil for screen installed free in huawei store for weekends. Check it out.

xchatter

i searched for a bit. There are glasses with UV glue, which shoul fit best for this kind of screen. But i doubt glue would go far enough. I need to test one, theyare about 4 dollars. For now for all edge screens, uv was best. In my country, you can get foil for screen installed free in huawei store for weekends. Check it out.
Thanks for the hint. :)
Right now I am with a hydrogel one. It surely is not as though as glass but its infinitely more comfortable.

xchatter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000900534608.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.31be4c4dno4LBH ordered this one, wil keep you guys posted. I doubt the glue will goas far as the screen does haha.
I've tried liquid glue too but on my wife's P40 Pro. It started to loosen up on the edges very fast. Also if you don't clean very well any glue spills are quite nasty and difficult to remove postfactum. I also tried to go in a store for a different liquid glue one and while the guy kept it clean(no spills) it again started to loosen up on the edges very fast. :X

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010
I've tried liquid glue too but on my wife's P40 Pro. It started to loosen up on the edges very fast. Also if you don't clean very well any glue spills are quite nasty and difficult to remove postfactum. I also tried to go in a store for a different liquid glue one and while the guy kept it clean(no spills) it again started to loosen up on the edges very fast. :X
ah yes, i am only guy around here who know how to do them professionally. But it realyl depends on glue qulity and quantitie. Last time i messed up oneplus 7 pro so bad haha. But i am guessing mate 40 pro special waterfall screen must be pain in the butt

numernumer

Oct 29, 2015
I've been using those hydrogen films ever since curve screens. most have what they say self healing, which is not bad considered that once glass ones chipped and you have to replace. so far its been good, never had any cracked screens from drops or anything( knock on wood)

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010
Well got 2 glass protectors with uv glue. It kept getting bubbles underneath, messed up all the glue, cleaned, and i am gonna use it without protection hahaha

Top Liked Posts