Screen resolution, aspect ratio and scaling issue for the 7 inch 2022 model

Search This thread

new_onn_user

Aug 23, 2022
Hi, I just bought the 7 inch onn tablet (2022 model). I found that the pixels are not in a perfect square shape. Despite the screen resolution being 1024x600, the physical screen window is actually more like 16:9. This screen looks like one of those used in the portable dvd players back in the day, which is the same 1024x600 resolution but maintains a 16:9 aspect ratio. This means each pixel is actually a rectangle shape instead of a square shape. In other words, everything on the screen is actually slimmer than it should be:

onn3.jpg

Even the official picture/render on Walmart's website looks squashed, just look at the icons:

onn5.jpeg

Now if you don't see anything wrong and/or think I'm crazy, here is a Google image search for a circle shape, note that all circles look squashed, like an oval:

onn1.jpg

onn2.jpg

So I tried to change the screen resolution to 1024x576, to trick the system to think this is the resolution and then it would be a proper match for the 16:9 aspect ratio. I used "adb shell wm size" for this. However, after I made the change I found there are black bars on both sides, so basically it only uses 576 pixels instead of 600 pixels, leaving the unused area black, which is not what I wanted:

onn4.jpg

Then I tried different 16:9 aspect ratios, such as 1280x720, 1366x768 and 1920x1080, and also different densities from 80 to 480. They all have the same black bars on both sides, I also tried the scaling option, but both "auto" and "off" gave me the same result. It seems like the system is stick to the scaling and not willing to stretch the image. I then found the "faded-area" option which should be the "overscan" equivalent for older Androids. But this option does not work at all. Even if I set it to some numbers, it still shows "none" and won't take any effect:

adb.jpg

So now I'm stuck here. I wonder if there are ways to change the screen resolution and at the same time stretch the image to full screen. The current/default settings (1024x600) is not looking right, as everything is squashed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.