Screen Rotation Issue

Search This thread

violentms

Apr 10, 2015
I loved my Galaxy S6 Edge. It felt premium, cool, and different. But the auto-rotate issue was a deal breaker for me. After two factory resets and still having the issue, I went to Best Buy to exchange. They were going to allow me to exchange but they had already done 5 or 6 exchanges the day before for exact same issue. They were now telling people too that this bug might occur even before selling Edges to new people. While I really wanted to keep the Edge, I wasn't about to deal with swapping this device multiple times. They did say it was happening to Sprint/Verizon people only. I have a friend that has had a T-mobile Edge for over 2 weeks now with no issue. So I'm not sure if the fast-charging heat issue is causing it or not?

So I switched to regular S6 and my auto-rotate has been working fine again. It's still a very nice device, but I miss that wow look that the Edge gave me. Oh well, I guess I saved $100 by getting S6. :rolleyes:

It's definitely not a Sprint/Verizon people only issue. My AT&T S6 Edge worked fine for half a day, then stopped working after a night on the quick charging. The real question now is that whether it's something a software update can fix or it's a hardware defect that nothing short of a massive recall can fix.

Last edited:

kakit526

Jun 14, 2008
It's definitely not a Sprint/Verizon people only issue. My AT&T S6 Edge worked fine for half a day, then stopped working after a night on the quick charging. The real question now is that whether it's something a software update can fix or it's a hardware defect that nothing short of a massive recall can fix.

Samsung still not response, mostly it's hardware problem.
So they still thinking how to solve this. Because there are 10million phone outside :p

violentms

Apr 10, 2015
Samsung still not response, mostly it's hardware problem.
So they still thinking how to solve this. Because there are 10million phone outside :p

It's going to be crucial how Samsung handles this issue if it's indeed a hardware defect since the word is already out there that the S6 Edge are plagued with auto rotation problem. Right now it seems like it's not a matter of "if" but "when" the gyroscope will break after quick charging.

terrel_b

Jul 21, 2008
Denver
Has anyone not done the OS update and still had the issue?

I've recently discovered it happened to me, but I find it incredibly hard to believe Samsung would not have tested the fast charging with these things and caught that - especially given you're given a fast charger with the phone.

lilbilly

Sep 11, 2014
You guys are jumping to too many conclusions.

Yes, people have reported that as soon as it was pulled out of the box at the store that it had rotation issues. Before it was ever quick charged, wirelessly charged or ran an OS update.

At this point, there's no rhyme or reason.

5harkology

Sep 17, 2007

Yes, people have reported that as soon as it was pulled out of the box at the store that it had rotation issues. Before it was ever quick charged, wirelessly charged or ran an OS update.

Yeah how did everyone just decide it is the quick charger. You could just as easily blame it on using the Gmail app or turning WiFi on.

littlerm

Jul 10, 2007
Are the problems only with certain storage configurations? Got my Verizon 64GB Edge on launch day and no issues so far. I have even ran a stress test while fast charging (to get it as hot as possible) to see if it would break and it's still fine. My wife's 32GB Edge died after 5 days and after the first time the fast charger was used (she used a Qi charger until then). Mine doesn't even get warm when using the fast charger.

Last edited:

marcochapita

Aug 24, 2010
Lisboa
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Yes it's been reported by many users in here, mine was fine until I used for the first time, if you go to a really really dark room where you can't see nothing, you will see the dim flash light, and never really turns off even if you restart or completely turn of the device. But it's not taking my sleep away that's for sure.

ebbit420

May 10, 2010
Chicago

I agree and want to add my two cents about the quick charge theory. The Invensense MPU 6500 has an operating temperature range of -40c to +105c. We know that quick charge does not cause the chip to go above +105c (+221f) as it would cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns to anyone holding it.

My other thought is why would a chip have only the X-axis of the accelerometer fail when the other five axis still work? The chip contains both the accelerometer and the gyroscope. I think there are two many cons for the issue be heat damage related due to the quick charge.

Thanks

antseg

Apr 21, 2015
I agree and want to add my two cents about the quick charge theory. The Invensense MPU 6500 has an operating temperature range of -40c to +105c. We know that quick charge does not cause the chip to go above +105c (+221f) as it would cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns to anyone holding it.

My other thought is why would a chip have only the X-axis of the accelerometer fail when the other five axis still work? The chip contains both the accelerometer and the gyroscope. I think there are two many cons for the issue be heat damage related due to the quick charge.

Thanks

could it be related to voltage or current dispersion causing malfunctioning? i honestly agree with you on the heat thesis, and don't think it could be a heat-related issue...but what about amperage? maybe the fast charger actually sends too much power to the phone, and the battery discharges some of it on near components, causing the gyroscope to break.

pra3t0rianz

Apr 21, 2015
Arizona
Auto Rotate / Edge lighting on 128 GB Model

I received my edge on Thursday of last week. Which was on the 16th. I had no problems until yesterday of the Auto Rotation. I downloaded a Auto rotater app to see if it will rotate. It will rotate if you lock it into landscape mode. But If you don't it will not rotate. I also noticed Calendar does not rotate and messages do not rotate and neither does web pages. But Full Screen Movies and Music will rotate even with Google apps. Not just youtube. I also noticed that if you play with home button clicking on it several times it will rotate the screen for a second then if tilted it rotate back. This could be just a fluke but I did notice this. I do not think it is the fast charger because if something was to burn out it wouldn't last for 10 days. Or it wouldn't last over 2 days beside when something burns out it's electrical it would smell like burning no matter if it was very small it still would smell like something has or had burnt. Especially when they say the battery is getting hot enough to burn it out. I had this on the charger for 2 days off and on and it never got so much as luke warm. Mine stays on the y axis at -39.23, and seems to be fine on the x axis. Maps do not rotate. either. So what I do know is out of the blue my phone did a reset a day before this happened. I did not reset the phone it seemed to be fine after. But Monday morning I saw the Camera Icons all upside down. I then did a factory reset and did not install any apps. Even after the Reset I still couldn't get rotation to work, another thing I would like to note is Edge Lighting never worked out of the box. I tested it multiple times and didn't really care if I had that or not. But now I do care. But I also don't want to go back and get a new one. Here is some of the issues why, No Verizon carrier in my area has the 128 gb model on hand. I would have to wait 3 to 5 days for one from Verizon if they had them. Which then put me out of the range anyway to get a brand new one. On top of this when I got to print the return label it states I am over the 14 days. Which I just got my phone last week so this blows.

I can return it to the store I am told by Verizon but either for a 32 or 64GB model. I really don't want to down grade. So in the end is this or is this not a Software issue. All of Im finding is debating on it is and that it isn't.

Update by Samsung Technical Support

Here is what the Rep told me today

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Sudbarry'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125603707820X
Sudbarry: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Sudbarry: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?
Stefan: I having issues with Auto-rotation as well as the Edge Lighting. It doesn't work I have done 7 Hard Resets. Doesn't Work. Verizon will not give me a return label so I don't want to give up a 128 GB phone. I don't want a new one But I want to know if this is going to be a software fix or is it a hardware issue with Samsung S6 Edge ?
Sudbarry: I will be glad to assist you with the device Auto-rotation and Edge Lighting issue.
Sudbarry: I am sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced.
Sudbarry: May I ask a few questions to assist you better?
Stefan: Sure
Sudbarry: Are you referring to the device model number SM-G925V?
Stefan: Yes
Sudbarry: Thanks for confirming.
Stefan: Yea
Sudbarry: Thank you.
Sudbarry: Thank you for being online.
Sudbarry: I have checked the details and I see that it is a Soft ware issue and will be be fixed soon.
Stefan: But no ETA
Sudbarry: Unfortunately We don't have the exact ETA but it will be fixed soon.
Stefan: Ok thank you
Sudbarry: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Stefan: No thats all thanks so much
Sudbarry: Thanks for chatting with Samsung Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive the transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Sudbarry: Have a nice day.
Sudbarry: Take care.

marcochapita

Aug 24, 2010
Lisboa
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
What's your rom version may I ask?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

My edge lighting was always working I did tested even if I don't use that much because I'm always touching the phone so putting it upside down just for him to glow is stupid lolol. My auto rotation is working as well either I had extremely lucky or its about to happen to me as well

afh3

Apr 30, 2013
Last night, my wife's S6 Edge experienced the auto-rotation failure. Locked in landscape-mode, and would not rotate - even after two FDR operations.

Brought it to Verizon and they tried to come up with every reason you could think of not to return it, including "not being able to find that phone in their database" - as if to imply I was scamming them.

"Look, it's a Verizon phone and it makes and takes calls - and you're telling me you don't have a record of it?"

About an hour later, they finally decided they could "find it" and replaced it ...

...with a phone that now has the Night Clock glowing screen issue.

I'm now on my fifth S6 Edge, and have one good phone and one glowing (Night Clock) phone that they would not replace - even though I showed them the issue right there at the store, and fresh out of the box.

Still better to have a working gyro than a working Night Clock, I guess.

Amazing.

Contacted Samsung, and they will replace the glowing phone - as long as I'm willing to send it to them and wait a month to get the replacement.

This for a phone that isn't 15 minutes out of the box, and hasn't even had a single user-installed app on it.

pra3t0rianz

Apr 21, 2015
Arizona
What's your rom version may I ask?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

My edge lighting was always working I did tested even if I don't use that much because I'm always touching the phone so putting it upside down just for him to glow is stupid lolol. My auto rotation is working as well either I had extremely lucky or its about to happen to me as well

Mine is the G925V
I didn't flash any roms but that is the version I have. I have also realized S Voice doesn't respond very well either I can say the wake up command low or loud and it is very very slow to even respond if it even does at times. I still feel this is a software issues on mine.

marcochapita

Aug 24, 2010
Lisboa
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I gave up from Svoice Since S3 even when this one has less bloat and its simpler i use it one, but in the end of the day i put it on the side,if i need something i use google now, but on the majorly of things i do use my fingers to type and use apps. But yes Svoice its software issue.

lsham32

Apr 21, 2015
Has anyone not done the OS update and still had the issue?

I've recently discovered it happened to me, but I find it incredibly hard to believe Samsung would not have tested the fast charging with these things and caught that - especially given you're given a fast charger with the phone.

I wonder if it happens after the update. I had two and both stopped working. I'm going to try one more time, because I like the phone that much. if it happens again I'm going to regular s6

wvebert

Sep 7, 2010
I wonder if it happens after the update. I had two and both stopped working. I'm going to try one more time, because I like the phone that much. if it happens again I'm going to regular s6

I had to switch the other day. I had a second that broke and I didn't feel like going back a third time, or fighting warranty and refurbs for 2yrs. I really liked the look and idea of the Edge, but I'm happy I switched. I also found some difficulty reaching some buttons or links on the edge of the edge.

Sent from my SM-G920P using XDA Free mobile app

pra3t0rianz

Apr 21, 2015
Arizona
I gave up from Svoice Since S3 even when this one has less bloat and its simpler i use it one, but in the end of the day i put it on the side,if i need something i use google now, but on the majorly of things i do use my fingers to type and use apps. But yes Svoice its software issue.

This is my first Samsung device so to if SVoice isn't that good, then that just a known issue. But all other things still seem to be pointing to some software bugs. I notice that in videos when they do the pull out of the individual on the contacts it would smear this blob color across the screen. I got mine to work by switching it to the left instead of the right and then it stop working at I pulled one contact out and then let it go back. I also know you can download any screen rotating app and force it into the landscape mode and it will go into landscape, but will be frozen there till you tell the app to go back to auto. Just certain apps won't. Like Map or Camera. But it works for the web otherwise. So if another app will work I still think it is a software glitch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screen Rotation

I have the Galaxy S6 Edge with Sprint and I took it in today because I am unable to view photos in Landscape mode I also downloaded some movies on it and when I went to the video player They wouldn't go into landscape mode either I finally figured out that If I turned off the screen rotation setting then went back and played the video a small screen rotate option apprered I tapped that and the video went into landscape mode I turned the main Screen rotation setting back on and it came out of landscape mode

I tried using the Internet in landscape mode and it wouldn't go period they checked my sensors and they were all working so I did a master reset I still can't view photos in Landscape mode videos are the same and if I view the Internet in landscape mode it locks in that way and I have to close it completely in order to get out of landscape mode

It has to be a s9software issue and Samsung needs to get on the freaking ball
    Called sprint and they said it's a known issue and to bring my phone back for a new one

I sent droid-life a tip with links to all the threads earlier today. They ended up writing a little article and now a lot of the big mobile sites have it up. Hopefully because of those, Samsung and or our carries will let us know what's causing the issue ASAP.
    This kind of thing is why I returned my defective S6 Edge for the M9... I am scared of being stuck in a cycle of musical replacements. Or worse, having one go bad on me after the 14 day return period. Samsung needs to have the carriers pull the affected devices (surely they know which devices are manufactured with the "fix" and which aren't...)

I don't understand why people are exchanging their phones over and over when almost every phone suffers from it. Might as well wait for a solution Unless you enjoy visiting the phone store that much.
    My wife's phone has this same issue. I just called Verizon, stated the issue and the fact I knew it was a common issue with the S6 Edge right now. The lady said it is noted as a bad batch of phones that went out and they are replacing the phone for me with overnight shipping. I am also past the 14 day trial, so I would recommend trying Verizon. They didn't even hesitate on replacing it.
    My wife's phone has this same issue. I just called Verizon, stated the issue and the fact I knew it was a common issue with the S6 Edge right now. The lady said it is noted as a bad batch of phones that went out and they are replacing the phone for me with overnight shipping. I am also past the 14 day trial, so I would recommend trying Verizon. They didn't even hesitate on replacing it.

Nice!

I guess it matters who you talk to at VZW. They refused to do exactly what you're describing, when asked.

I've put a calendar reminder in Exchange/Outlook for April 10th 2016 (when my contract is up) that says, "Remember the S6 Edge".

It will bring back a deluge of fond memories on that day, which will help greatly in my decision to renew with them - or not.