• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Screen says There is no PIT partition after Firmware Install Failure

Search This thread

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com
So I've been at this for a total of 9 hours now...here's the story:
Yesterday I have my trusty Note 4 on the charger, it charges fully and I unplug from the cord.
I hit the home button and the screen stays black like it was frozen.
I hit the power button, nothing happens.
I pull the battery, put it back in, nothing.
It finally goes back on and I get the Cant do normal boot:"MMC_Failed" and I'm stuck on the Odin screen.
Try to just re-flash the stock rooted ROM I was using at the time of this disaster and I kept getting the same message so I bring the phone to a Sprint service center where, when I walk in the front door and tap the power button, the phone lights right up and works. Now I look like a clown.
I leave the store and it freezes again so I try a factory reset, which sets this whole process in motion again once I set it up...freezes, "can't do normal boot" etc.
Then after someone suggested to flash the latest TWRP (3.0.0.0) and a stock firmware, I get a "system write fail" in Odin (both 3.09 & 3.10) so I try to flash the stock ROM again now I get a "No PIT File" error.
I flash the PIT file specific for my phone I got from SamMobile along with the same ROM and the phone wouldn't start.
I noticed the "system" was unchecked in TWRP so I checked it before doing anything but still no luck as of last night/this morning at 3:00am.
I wake up this morning and it goes right on with no issue just like a fresh/factory reset device.

Is there something i can do to make sure everything is ok so I don't have to go through this again?
I need this Note 4 to work.
I have been running stock OJ6 rooted ROM and that's it. No mods or anything, just root so for this to start acting up the way it did or why it happened is beyond me.

Someone recommended to install ClockworkMod so that would fix the "system" error but I'd rather see if anyone else had the same problem and how they fixed it before I attempt anything else.
Usually, any time I ever had a problem I clear the dalvik/cache, factory reset or flash firmware in Odin and everything is straight.
Thanks ahead of time for any help.

samep

Dec 8, 2011
What method are you rooting with? Kernel and SuperSU version? Stock patched kernel or custom kernel?

Sounds like hardware failure but it could be unstable root with Knox fighting it and causing confusion. Knox and root don't coexist well.

When you pull battery, do you wait at least 30 seconds and use power button to drain residual power before reinserting battery? I've also noticed that power down doesn't happen so quickly as you think it should. Also, every black screen is not a power down state. Something is not quite right if you experience black screens in system booted mode but I wouldn't be so quick to pull the battery. Give it time to recover or hold power and volume up to reboot it if black screen persists on you. Battery pulls may be corrupting memory or losing data.

Edit: Philz CWM recovery has been recommended to wipe and flash when TWRP fails to do so. But it's been demonstrated that stock recovery can wipe where Philz fails to. Ultimately, I think some of the users reporting such were experiencing hardware failure so it's either randomness of successful wipe or the stronger tool demonstrating itself. Also since TWRP has been updated, it's unknown in my thinking which is the better Recovery to wipe and flash with. I prefer TWRP but thankfully haven't had the occasion of failed Odin or recovery flashes.

Your battery or power switch may contributing to the bad experience as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com
What method are you rooting with? Kernel and SuperSU version? Stock patched kernel or custom kernel?

Sounds like hardware failure but it could be unstable root with Knox fighting it and causing confusion. Knox and root don't coexist well.

When you pull battery, do you wait at least 30 seconds and use power button to drain residual power before reinserting battery? I've also noticed that power down doesn't happen so quickly as you think it should. Also, every black screen is not a power down state. Something is not quite right if you experience black screens in system booted mode but I wouldn't be so quick to pull the battery. Give it time to recover or hold power and volume up to reboot it if black screen persists on you. Battery pulls may be corrupting memory or losing data.

Edit: Philz CWM recovery has been recommended to wipe and flash when TWRP fails to do so. But it's been demonstrated that stock recovery can wipe where Philz fails to. Ultimately, I think some of the users reporting such were experiencing hardware failure so it's either randomness of successful wipe or the stronger tool demonstrating itself. Also since TWRP has been updated, it's unknown in my thinking which is the better Recovery to wipe and flash with. I prefer TWRP but thankfully haven't had the occasion of failed Odin or recovery flashes.

Your battery or power switch may contributing to the bad experience as well.

yeah I hold the power button for like 30 seconds to a minute to make sure the charge is gone.
I just re-flashed thhhe rom but i'm gonna try to unroot if i can now that I can get into recovery again, i wasn't able to last night

samep

Dec 8, 2011
yeah I hold the power button for like 30 seconds to a minute to make sure the charge is gone.
I just re-flashed thhhe rom but i'm gonna try to unroot if i can now that I can get into recovery again, i wasn't able to last night
If you're trying to boot un-rooted, you may be using stock kernel with systemless root? Why stock kernel? It's more stable in that fashion of full un-root with systemless SuperSU root.

But latest Beastmode works well; keep it updated. There was the initial release that somehow got hindered by a Samsung security update and boot looped once the update was pushed.

Anyway, if you're using systemless root, keep the SuperSU beta up to date for stability purposes. It's experimental as far as Lollipop is concerned and doesn't play well with system modifications.

Or maybe you're not using it for frequent full un-root? I'm actually testing it again with stock kernel ATM.

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com
If you're trying to boot un-rooted, you may be using stock kernel with systemless root? Why stock kernel? It's more stable in that fashion of full un-root with systemless SuperSU root.

But latest Beastmode works well; keep it updated. There was the initial release that somehow got hindered by a Samsung security update and boot looped once the update was pushed.

Anyway, if you're using systemless root, keep the SuperSU beta up to date for stability purposes. It's experimental as far as Lollipop is concerned and doesn't play well with system modifications.

Or maybe you're not using it for frequent full un-root? I'm actually testing it again with stock kernel ATM.

Odin wasn't working, kept getting "write/fail" so I flashed the PIT file along with the stock firmware after *everything on earth* didn't work, Odin did it's thing and I got the green PASS! but still can't boot the phone regularly...I got into factory recovery just to make sure i was not rooted, did a factory reset and it doesn't reboot...I'm lost here...
my main thing was to get it to unroot so I can bring it to Sprint and let them try to fix it...but I can't boot to make sure it's running stock, I don't wanna get there and they boot it and see the phone is rooted...

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com
Flashed PIT file and stock firmware and got the following (pass):
<ID:0/006> Removed!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N910PVPU4COJ6_N910PSPT4COJ6_N910PVPU4COJ6_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/006> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/006> tz.mbn
<ID:0/006> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/006> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/006> boot.img
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> modem.bin
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> RES OK !!
<ID:0/006> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

factory recovery is installed and I'm guessing the stock firmware but I still can not boot the phone except for recovery and odin/download mode...this is crazy:silly:

waheem

Dec 10, 2014
Odin wasn't working, kept getting "write/fail" so I flashed the PIT file along with the stock firmware after *everything on earth* didn't work, Odin did it's thing and I got the green PASS! but still can't boot the phone regularly...I got into factory recovery just to make sure i was not rooted, did a factory reset and it doesn't reboot...I'm lost here...
my main thing was to get it to unroot so I can bring it to Sprint and let them try to fix it...but I can't boot to make sure it's running stock, I don't wanna get there and they boot it and see the phone is rooted...

If it dus not boot try to flash repair firmware

samep

Dec 8, 2011
Removed!!
Enter CS for MD5..
Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
Please wait..
N910PVPU4COJ6_N910PSPT4COJ6_N910PVPU4COJ6_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
Leave CS..
Added!!
Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialzation..
Set PIT file..
DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
SingleDownload.
aboot.mbn
NAND Write Start!!
sbl1.mbn
rpm.mbn
tz.mbn
sdi.mbn
NON-HLOS.bin
boot.img
recovery.img
system.img.ext4
cache.img.ext4
modem.bin
RQT_CLOSE !!
RES OK !!
Remain Port .... 0
All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
Removed!!

factory recovery is installed and I'm guessing the stock firmware but I still can not boot the phone except for recovery and odin/download mode...this is crazy:silly:
If you've wiped everything but extSdCard and flashed the stock tar in Odin, there shouldn't be any trace of root. You're not rooted.

Did you try factory reset in stock recovery? Can't recall, but is there also a format data option in stock recovery? If so, try that too.

waheem

Dec 10, 2014
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N910PVPU4COJ6_N910PSPT4COJ6_N910PVPU4COJ6_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/006> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/006> tz.mbn
<ID:0/006> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/006> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/006> boot.img
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> modem.bin
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> RES OK !!
<ID:0/006> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

You need a repair firmware 4 file firmware
PDA
Modem
CSC
Bootloder
Go here http://www.tsar3000.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=55&Itemid=82 and find firmware acoding to your phone model and country region and flash via odin hit thanks if helped

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com
You need a repair firmware 4 file firmware
PDA
Modem
CSC
Bootloder
Go here http://www.tsar3000.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=55&Itemid=82 and find firmware acoding to your phone model and country region and flash via odin hit thanks if helped
Thanks for all the help...I think it's fixed though...hopefully...I let it sit a few minutes, factory reset it again and hit "power down", turned it on after a minute, went through the setup and setup as a new device then got an update...it's updating now so I'll know if it's ok once the update is finished...hope so!

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com
Thanks for all the help...I think it's fixed though...hopefully...I let it sit a few minutes, factory reset it again and hit "power down", turned it on after a minute, went through the setup and setup as a new device then got an update...it's updating now so I'll know if it's ok once the update is finished...hope so!

I'm gonna try your link. even though it seems to be working now it still reads "MMC_READ FAILED" in Odin/DL mode...gonna try and see if your fix helps, thank you.:good:

broad_st_bully

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
www.illadelink.com

tried to flash that file, back where i started, it failed in Odin right away, stuck with the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue" for Kies that doesn't even work for this phone for some reason....Kies is straight trash...

3sav3

Aug 8, 2016
tried to flash that file, back where i started, it failed in Odin right away, stuck with the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue" for Kies that doesn't even work for this phone for some reason....Kies is straight trash...
@broad_st_bully any luck on this issue since last post? or had you given up? I am experiencing the same issue but with the tmobile version running cmremix rooted.... at least it was...