Screen Turns Off While on Phone

Search This thread

GalaxyS3IsMeh

Aug 5, 2012
Title says it all. Its a very odd glitch. If i call someone, unless i quickly exit the phone app, my screen turns black but my call will continue. I cant turn the screen back on until the call is ended and i have to pull the battery. It happens regardless of what rom im on. Any help? Thanks in advance everyone :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jhoutz

Jul 5, 2012
I would try removing that skin, it could be blocking the proximity sensor. I had the same problem on a galaxy nexus. I tried clearing phone app data, reboots, factory resets. In the end had to send it in on warranty because the sensor was bad. :(

Sent from my SCH-I535

Reactions: GalaxyS3IsMeh

GalaxyS3IsMeh

Aug 5, 2012
Its weird though because the screen only turns off if the app i am running and xcan interact with is the phone application. If i use firefox or anything else while making the call everything is hunky dory.

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
Its weird though because the screen only turns off if the app i am running and xcan interact with is the phone application. If i use firefox or anything else while making the call everything is hunky dory.

Try using an app that shows sensor readings. I like to use Elixir2 which has a sensor section. When viewing the proximity sensor readings, it should indicate "Far" when nothing is activating the sensor, and "Near" if you cover the sensor (with your finger or whatever). If it reads Near without you purposely tripping the sensor, your protector could be covering it or something else is wrong.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: GalaxyS3IsMeh

jhoutz

Jul 5, 2012
Try using an app that shows sensor readings. I like to use Elixir2 which has a sensor section. When viewing the proximity sensor readings, it should indicate "Far" when nothing is activating the sensor, and "Near" if you cover the sensor (with your finger or whatever). If it reads Near without you purposely tripping the sensor, your protector could be covering it or something else is wrong.

Yeah try this. Problem with my phone was intermittent, clearing the phone app data seemed to fix it but it always came back.

Just out of curiosity did you ever install an app called facebook contacts?

Sent from my SCH-I535

GalaxyS3IsMeh

Aug 5, 2012
Not an app besides messenger and the actual fb app persay, but i did sync them to my contacts

jhoutz

Jul 5, 2012
The app was actually facebook contact sync. It's a third party app and I had originally thought it may of had something to do with the problem. That's why I asked.

I don't think it's a software problem because you said it happens on all of the roms you've tried. My nexus was stock and I did several factory resets, even waited for the jellybean update. Nothing I did was ever a permanent fix.

So I think either something is blocking the sensor i.e. dirt or the screen protector, or the sensor is bad.

Sent from my SCH-I535

galets

Apr 1, 2006
My proximity sensor went bad after I replaced a screen lens by heating up and unglue technique. I turned it off in the phone app, and now it's fine, but for me it's very irritating that I have a high-end device which is somewhat broken, so I started researching what's wrong and how to fix.

It does work, I tested it by enabling hidden menu ( *#22745927 ) and then diagnostic mode ( *#0*# ) + click "Sensors". It does show proximity sensor at ADC 16 or more (I think it triggers at 15, so always on). When I bring the hand to the sensor, ADC goes to 100, so the sensor is somewhat working, but it always does sense something which isn't there, which is causing it to misfire. I have another good S3, and ADC value on it is 0 or 1 when nothing is in front of it, so my sensor could clearly be better.

I have no idea what ADC is, by the way

I have another broken front panel laying around, so I took the phone apart and replaced a sensor with the one from that panel. I did see a slight improvement, which is: ADB value went down to 11-12, so the sensor was not ALWAYS in triggered state, but clearly still no bueno.

What I'm going to do now is get a new item and try replacing with a new one. It's not overly expensive, like 10 bucks when shipped from china (search for "Front Facing Camera s3" on ebay). Should that be a success, I will post my results here.

I also am not sure if it is possible to recalibrate sensor to not trigger if ADC value is, say, below 20 and such. I would imagine there could be a configurable value. Somewhere this value of 15 is coming from, isn't it? So, idk, if some guru here is reading this post, maybe could advise where to go to configure it

Last edited:

dirtfoot

Sep 15, 2012
Not to keep this thread alive or anything, but I gave my dad my old phone and he complained to me a few days later that the screen kept going off as well so I met him only to find out that he had the case on wrong and it was blocking the proximity sensor. He definitely is not cut out for a smart phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

galets

Apr 1, 2006
My proximity sensor went bad after I replaced a screen lens by heating up and unglue technique. I turned it off in the phone app, and now it's fine, but for me it's very irritating that I have a high-end device which is somewhat broken, so I started researching what's wrong and how to fix.

It does work, I tested it by enabling hidden menu ( *#22745927 ) and then diagnostic mode ( *#0*# ) + click "Sensors". It does show proximity sensor at ADC 16 or more (I think it triggers at 15, so always on). When I bring the hand to the sensor, ADC goes to 100, so the sensor is somewhat working, but it always does sense something which isn't there, which is causing it to misfire. I have another good S3, and ADC value on it is 0 or 1 when nothing is in front of it, so my sensor could clearly be better.

I have no idea what ADC is, by the way

I have another broken front panel laying around, so I took the phone apart and replaced a sensor with the one from that panel. I did see a slight improvement, which is: ADB value went down to 11-12, so the sensor was not ALWAYS in triggered state, but clearly still no bueno.

What I'm going to do now is get a new item and try replacing with a new one. It's not overly expensive, like 10 bucks when shipped from china (search for "Front Facing Camera s3" on ebay). Should that be a success, I will post my results here.

I also am not sure if it is possible to recalibrate sensor to not trigger if ADC value is, say, below 20 and such. I would imagine there could be a configurable value. Somewhere this value of 15 is coming from, isn't it? So, idk, if some guru here is reading this post, maybe could advise where to go to configure it

UPDATE: I bought a brand new sensor/camera block, and same issue there: minimum ADB is ~12. So, it's glass. It is possible that the sensor openings are either slightly shifted, or too dark.

Anyone knows how to configure the threshold value?

GalaxyS3IsMeh

Aug 5, 2012
UPDATE: I bought a brand new sensor/camera block, and same issue there: minimum ADB is ~12. So, it's glass. It is possible that the sensor openings are either slightly shifted, or too dark.

Anyone knows how to configure the threshold value?

You shouldnt have to go through all this man. You should get a new phone :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have your cleaned your sensor in the front of your phone.

Sent from my SGS3 running Eclipse 2.1
    I would try removing that skin, it could be blocking the proximity sensor. I had the same problem on a galaxy nexus. I tried clearing phone app data, reboots, factory resets. In the end had to send it in on warranty because the sensor was bad. :(

Sent from my SCH-I535