Screen2Auto - New app for AA smartphone mirroring (only for root devices).

Search This thread

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
What is the highest Google Play Services it would work with?

I was recently updated to 22.21.15 and S2A stopped properly working

Should I really go back to 21.48.15 or could I use 21.48.55 (highest 21.*.*) or would it work with any 22, like 22.09.20 from March?

Kevinkuensken

Sep 16, 2010
How can i Roll Back Play Service?If i want Install an older Version,the system say,downgrade the Play Service Not Work,how can i downgrade?

hgt123

Jun 13, 2022
What is the highest Google Play Services it would work with?

I was recently updated to 22.21.15 and S2A stopped properly working

Should I really go back to 21.48.15 or could I use 21.48.55 (highest 21.*.*) or would it work with any 22, like 22.09.20 from March?
I am not sure.
but you can try it
If it can’t work ,just downgrade again and change the other version.and update again.

Last edited:

hgt123

Jun 13, 2022
How can i Roll Back Play Service?If i want Install an older Version,the system say,downgrade the Play Service Not Work,how can i downgrade?
Sorry I don’t know how to explain it
Because English is not my native language.
This’s a bit difficult to explain for me
But downgrade google serivce is not difficult.
I think you can found the way on internet

Last edited:

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com
Hello, I followed your advice, I bought a Galaxy S8, I rooted it with a custom lightrom rom to have only the minimum on it.

I tried to install today Android Auto + screen2auto but it does not work, on android auto I do not have the screen2auto icon.

I tried everything I could find with AA AIO Tweaker, AAAD nothing works.

I missed something?

Is it due to a recent update of AA? As I am root, can I download an old version and block the update?

Blocking updates is in the developer options, or you need a special version of AA?

Thanks in advance
Hi. I have older AA, and it hasn't force me to update, so i don't know for sure what is happening with current version of AA. But i have fixed it many many times. Until now, there isn't any day i couldn't use mirroring in years.

What i would try:
1. In AA enable developers settings, check in AA developer settings to allow unofficial app installation (i don't remember exactly what it writes).
2. Don't install screen2auto original versions. Eather download it from some AA stores here which is Screen2auto with a different internal name (so Google not block it), or better use lucy patcher and installed with a different name (and Uninstall the original). It has been posted here how..
3. Uninstall google play services. It will go to older version. (it would be best to use a firewall app to block internet in Google play services so not to auto update).
4. Try to install AA a little older version. If it force you to update do it and do 3 again after. Delete data from AA and screen2auto and, patch again with AIO tweaker.
5.use AIO tweaker and patch screen2auto and every unofficial app you will use in AA.

First make it work, then debloat the rom. You may have freeze something needed.
Make sure when connect AA to car, to open screen2auto and give all permission it needs.
I hope you succeed.

Edit. Try original rom rooted rom , and when it works then debloat it by yourself. If you use a custom rom, you don't know what the dev have deleted. Perhaps it has deleted something needed for AA. Although if AA is working it will probably be ok.

Last edited:

SOFO888

Jan 28, 2013
@hgt123
One day Google autoupdates the Play Services. Happens every 1 to 2 month.
I did not find a way yet to stop this.

So in 1 or 2 month you will have the same problem again...

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com
@hgt123

I use firewall. Until now gapps didn't update due to the firewall but i haven't past 2 months yet. But i installed screen2auto to a friends car, and his car forced me to update AA. My car didn't, so firewall definitely do its job. I don't know if it will be forever.

hgt123

Jun 13, 2022
@hgt123

I also shotdown Google Play Services autoupdates
change com.google.android.gms by root
but still don't know it will work or not
might be need observe for a while.

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com
@sosimple

As you blocked Google Play Services with a firewall...do you still have Maps and Assistant?
Yes. Phone voice recognition by internet (assistant) is by other app, if i remember well (99% I'm sure, i had search alot) its Google now (to which i give internet) . I have everything and i have cut internet to Google gapps. I have actually cut internet from everything and give permission to have internet only to apps i want. Which are, youtube, sygic, waze, radio/ tv streaming apps etc.
I haven't tested Google maps much if everything works (eg live traffic) as i don't use it much. But i haven't cut internet to Google maps. Waze/sygic works fine (including live traffic, as i use them). I have a phone always in car dedicated for AA/mirroring.

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
For the matter of fact, I had downgraded Play Services:
- found the folder on /data/app where Play Services was installed and deleted the folder, rebooted

From recently updated 22.21.15 it returned back to my stock 21.30.15 that I happily used with AA and S2A for half a year on this phone

But it didn't help. S2A still shows and opens on head unit but when I click to any icon/app in S2A it opens only on the phone (only audio goes to the car). I executed again aa_block_3rdapp_hack.sh but no help

Eventually I gave up and uninstalled S2A - I had it for 8-9 months on one and then another (this new) phone but I practically never used except for all those hours configuring and later testing does it still work and reconfiguring...

Fermata works fine and I can play YT with (I have also CarTube but it won't play YT while driving), I never really used S2A for other apps like browsing, writing mails or something

Last edited:

Kevinkuensken

Sep 16, 2010
ich have the problem if i reboot my phone S2A dont show me in android auto.Everytime i must make a new installation then i can find it.If i reboot then and look S2A dont show me in Android Auto.What the Problem?

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
I have a rooted Pixel 4a 5g and am new to screen2auto. Following directions from zgfg and Carmtinny , I have successfully installed it on my phone and have access to it via Android Auto. First, I needed to downgrade my AAuto app from 7.6.6xxx to AAuto 7.4.620964. I then followed the directions for HideMyApps to detach AAuto from the play store. The instructions for HMA were a bit different than the version I have (there is no blacklist option, etc…) but I got it figured out and AAuto does NOT show up as installed in the Play Store. I downloaded and installed AAease v.4 since that is the version listed in the directions. AAease then downloaded and installed screen2auto v 3.6.4. In s2a I configured the settings to my liking and then tapped Unlock for Android Auto and rebooted. I did NOT apply any patches via AA Tweaker. I did, however, also execute the shell script aa_block_3rdapp_hack.sh from @sebi3481 (which is also available in the link I provided earlier in this post).

Once rebooted, I opened AAuto and s2a was available as an option in the launcher. It works in the sense that I can select apps and they open. I am still getting used to s2a but my observations are that using Maps, Waze, Spotify and/or other map/music related apps are better being used via the actual HU Android Auto interface. I, personally, found navigating through said apps via s2a was more tedious as it replicated navigating on my phone – which is not a good thing since I should be concentrating on driving – not fiddling/navigating my phone, even if it is displayed on the head unit.
Some other notes/questions:

1. The OP pictures 2 rows of apps. My display only shows 1 row of apps that I can scroll thru, however, the ones I selected don’t always show up. I have 11 apps selected but sometimes only 7 or 8 appear…then magically all 11 will appear again.
And is it possible to have 2 rows like the OP?

2. The OP also pictures a weather widget. I have searched the thread and there are directions (kind of) how to add a widget but I still can’t figure it out.

3. I have selected the min clock widget and selected to show the clock on the left side yet it always is displayed on the right side.

4. There are some issues when disconnecting from AAuto USB that all apps opened from s2a remain open on the phone, and sometimes, I lose functionality of my phone's navigation button so I can't go back, swipe up for recent apps, etc... I then have to reboot the phone to restore functionality.

I like the idea of this app but it doesn’t seem to be fully driver friendly. I have spent more time installing it and configuring it than actually using it. Combine that with others posts of random updates (Google Play services, etc..) breaking the app and having to jump through hoops again to get it working again…I’m not sure I want to go thru all the hassle. I will continue to experiment with it and hope no unforeseen updates break it, but as I mentioned earlier, the apps that work naturally thru the AAuto head unit are much easier to use.

EDIT - One last thing...since installing s2a, it seems that AA AIO Tweaker is no longer preventing Maps/Waze from auto-launching when AAuto starts. It's not terrible but it was nice having AAuto load straight to the menu rather than having a map pop up. It could be due to downgrading the AA app, or something entirely different.

Last edited:
Reactions: zgfg

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I have a rooted Pixel 4a 5g and am new to screen2auto. Following directions from zgfg and Carmtinny , I have successfully installed it on my phone and have access to it via Android Auto. First, I needed to downgrade my AAuto app from 7.6.6xxx to AAuto 7.4.620964. I then followed the directions for HideMyApps to detach AAuto from the play store. The instructions for HMA were a bit different than the version I have (there is no blacklist option, etc…) but I got it figured out and AAuto does NOT show up as installed in the Play Store. I downloaded and installed AAease v.4 since that is the version listed in the directions. AAease then downloaded and installed screen2auto v 3.6.4. In s2a I configured the settings to my liking and then tapped Unlock for Android Auto and rebooted. I did NOT apply any patches via AA Tweaker. I did, however, also execute the shell script aa_block_3rdapp_hack.sh from @sebi3481 (which is also available in the link I provided earlier in this post).

Once rebooted, I opened AAuto and s2a was available as an option in the launcher. It works in the sense that I can select apps and they open. I am still getting used to s2a but my observations are that using Maps, Waze, Spotify and/or other map/music related apps are better being used via the actual HU Android Auto interface. I, personally, found navigating through said apps via s2a was more tedious as it replicated navigating on my phone – which is not a good thing since I should be concentrating on driving – not fiddling/navigating my phone, even if it is displayed on the head unit.
Some other notes/questions:

1. The OP pictures 2 rows of apps. My display only shows 1 row of apps that I can scroll thru, however, the ones I selected don’t always show up. I have 11 apps selected but sometimes only 7 or 8 appear…then magically all 11 will appear again.
And is it possible to have 2 rows like the OP?

2. The OP also pictures a weather widget. I have searched the thread and there are directions (kind of) how to add a widget but I still can’t figure it out.

3. I have selected the min clock widget and selected to show the clock on the left side yet it always is displayed on the right side.

4. There are some issues when disconnecting from AAuto USB that all apps opened from s2a remain open on the phone, and sometimes, I lose functionality of my phone's navigation button so I can't go back, swipe up for recent apps, etc... I then have to reboot the phone to restore functionality.

I like the idea of this app but it doesn’t seem to be fully driver friendly. I have spent more time installing it and configuring it than actually using it. Combine that with others posts of random updates (Google Play services, etc..) breaking the app and having to jump through hoops again to get it working again…I’m not sure I want to go thru all the hassle. I will continue to experiment with it and hope no unforeseen updates break it, but as I mentioned earlier, the apps that work naturally thru the AAuto head unit are much easier to use.
The OP material here is pretty outdated

Anyway, you can set a vertical ribbon with icons for all apps configured in S2A, and with the icon on top to return to the initial S2A screen

The ribbon will stay while running any app from S2A.
That way, you can jump with a single click from one app in S2A to another

---

Btw, as said, I have decommissioned S2A. Before, I downgraded yesterday to my stock Play Services 21.30.16 (didn't help for my S2A) but today Play Services updated again to 22.21.15 - Fermata and CarTube work fine

SOFO888

Jan 28, 2013
Hey guys,

I noticed that I have ghost touches on my display.
Is it possible that this is caused by Screen2Auto? Does anyone else have this behavior?

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com
I'll posted here also: Those are my app/services with permission to access internet. Everything else are not allowed to access internet. I have voice assistant, and everything needed. Gapps don't have access to internet.
But you need to allow Google app to access internet otherwise you won't have assistant (Google voice recognition).

Last edited:
Reactions: SOFO888
I figured out how to get both of my phones to work with s2a. 1 is a galaxy s10 not rooted, the 2nd one is a pixel 3 rooted. they worked everytime if I make sure s2a is opened on the phone before plugging in to the car stereo. The pixel touch screen works on the stereo but the s10 is unresponsive on the stereo. So I paired a firestick remote to the s10 and it works great now. Thanks to @gullzway
Anyone having trouble with black screen after opening an app, a workaround for me is opening the app on the phone first. Works for me when having issues

gullzway

Nov 17, 2007
I figured out how to get both of my phones to work with s2a. 1 is a galaxy s10 not rooted, the 2nd one is a pixel 3 rooted. they worked everytime if I make sure s2a is opened on the phone before plugging in to the car stereo. The pixel touch screen works on the stereo but the s10 is unresponsive on the stereo. So I paired a firestick remote to the s10 and it works great now. Thanks to @gullzway
Anyone having trouble with black screen after opening an app, a workaround for me is opening the app on the phone first. Works for me when having issues
Strangely, on my Pixel 6 Pro today I was using an app called Torque to see my truck Voltage. The touch screen continued to work after starting the app in S2A. Not sure why, but it only works using this app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anyone here know to read titles? "Only for rooted devices". There is a reason THE DEVELOPER of the app, posting this.
    Because one or another make it work in a no rooted device, doesn't mean it will work in every device regardless rom, Android version, etc.
    Having installed screen2auto in many many many devices, (more than 50) rooted and no rooted, 99.99% of non rooted have small or big problems. And even if it work, it won't last for long without fixing something. Sooner or later you will root if you still want to use it.
    What everyone else posting here, that "in my no rooted device everything works fine", congratulation but it's not a general situation.

You are actually confusing people. Do another thread "screen2auto without root" and post there your instructions.
    On my galaxy s22 ultra all works fine, screen2auto needs to be authorized evrytime you run it. Installed fermata auto end screen2auto with aaease and installed carstream via AAAD, all work fine...and with touchscreen of my auto. (Audroid auto 7.8, and android 12
    Thanks "Pnsdhrn", I had already read that post and tried it with the exception of the" EASUS "app
    It should be AAEase app. You can find it through Google, it's a Russian site. Install S2A with it.
    what would be the modified version of screen2auto ??
    why is it better?
    with magisk do you know a good tutorial?
    If not something else, asease changes the package name for S2A. It is necessary since Google constantly updates Android Auto with the (black) list of apps that must not be allowed to work

Unlocking BL, potentially installing custom Recovery and even some peculiarities with Magisk are highly dependable of the phone vendor and even model. Therefore, you have to search/read Guides, Q&A etc (posts, threads) on XDA, look for the (sub) forum specific to your phone

Eg, google for:
    XDA Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro
    and Google will point you to the Redmi K20 Pro subforum on XDA where you can find tons of info specific to that phone

XDA has its own search, but I prefer google

Also, search for
    GitHub Magisk
    and you will be pointed to the official GitHub page for Magisk - find and read the documentation (Installation, Wiki) there

Search also for XDA Magisk to find a generic thread about Magisk

Etc
    Major problem the inability of the touchscreen on car's infotainment...
    Also I can't figure out how to work this touch ball... Any help on that?
    Problem most phones have without root. If you root it will resolve.
    Smartphone screen on Anddroid Auto HU car screen
    For root devices only!

a65be9f97d8097a3eeccdacfbe7ac48d.png

b8add53a049c33be76f7e3778db2551c.png

c1b9abbde2a1f4e7a6920f3b7bd1ffe2.png

Application features:
    - The main reason for creating this application is working with Android 9 Pie
    1. Сompletely new application combining AAMirror & AAStream features.
    2. Additional functions: clock, dimming, selection of resolutions, etc.
    3. Ability to choose the automatic launch of any application at A2M startup.
    4. Floating button to control the application from the HU screen.
    5. Ability to reset if incorrect output and resolution distortion.
    6. Many other chips...
    1d1ca5ad04e260cb8dfa7360d36cee00.png

Installation and setup:
    1. Download and Install Screen2Auto
    6760829d5c83bfb472ea0a96d8b0efde.png
    2. Enable developper settings in Android Auto and enable Unkown sources in developper settings.
    1. Launch on the Android Auto mobile device
    2. Open the menu, tap the tab "About Android Auto"
    3. In the menu that opens, tap on the gear (settings). Then we crawl to the very bottom of the menu that opens: "Version 4.5. *** - release".
    4. 10 times tap on the display of the version of Android Auto, a window will appear where we must agree with what we are doing. Click "Yes."
    5. Go to the menu (tap "three points") and select the tab "For Developers" that appears in the menu
    6. In the last line, put a checkmark "Unknown sources" or use other settings of the developer's menu.
    3. Use the AA AIO TWEAKER from @shmykelsa for activation third-party applications.
    4. Launch the application and perform the initial setup of permission recovery. Click on the button and save them.
    1ae13868aa9142dd0ea19722b818d9a7.jpg
    5. Make the necessary settings as desired.
    Warning:
    If, after turning off the smartphone or exiting AA (turned off the car, closed the emulator, removed the USB), the resolution of the smartphone did not return to its original state (the recovery settings, failure, smartphone features, etc. were set incorrectly, etc.), you need go to Settings → Reset settings and select the WM SIZE RESET option. Resolution will be restored to factory.
    3e5e464d111050be0db4f57505492313.png
    0222f487a017f62a6242d37d27e82b3a.png

Don't forget to use the button (if you want course):
    cb294618ab788427637345c9f1030b77.png

Warning! New version of the application released!
    Thanks to everyone who offered delicious coffee!
    All of this thanks to all caring people.

Attention!
    You can download and install S2A on devices without root using the new application
    Android Auto Apps Downloader (AAAD)
    However, I still recommend using C2A on rooted devices.

What's new

v3.5.2beta
    • Bug fixes

v3.5beta
    • Adapted for Non Root devices
    • Notification when pause (for automation).
    • Bug fixes
    • Languages update

v3.4.6
    • Added persistent quick launch bar
    • Added a pause S2A. If need to use the phone (so as not to disconnect)
    • Fixed bug with floating button
    • Fixed bug with choosing launcher button and background
    • Minor fixes

v3.4.5
    • Added the ability to change the icon of the floating button
    • Added autostart mapcam.info
    • Added starting Tasker task after completion
    • Minor fixes

v3.4
    • Fixed jambs
    • Added Support for Screen2Echo*
    • *Screen2Echo - application idesigned to link two phones. An application for those who do not want to get root on their main phone, and the second one is always in the car . Screen2Auto and S2Echo communicate via WiFi Hotspot.
    • Added Function to enable Hotspot at phone startup

v3.3
    • Bug fixes
    • Switch "Do not restore" in the settings
    • Fixes for some jambs version 3.2

v3.1
    • Bug fixes
    • Fix launch on Android 5&6
    • Fix Netflix (be sure to enable accessibility)
    • Adjustment of language packs
    • Added new translations

v3.0
    • Application optimization
    • Made initial setting (Wizard settings)
    • Updated language files. (Thanks for the translations)
    • Added driving safety warning

32a6ff91f00801a90056ed0b6dc27241.png

837e9dacbe128637ed1dcd820e3b0a00.png
    Preview

29f8f3095dcb6e0f7c50945273cd8846.jpg

74a842327d62fc08ff4094db75c5cf05.jpg

d3ca794b3557868d6b0c5d0f1cb47726.jpg

f12617d47c0d7ba10b38071596beea04.jpg

2e7d1fd6cfc6285f47cb63c875f37344.jpg

b3b5fbe231fd9037188cc9995ea7cea3.jpg

e6cb6d066052a58c27c5fa40755c4a7b.jpg

472ed615393e079d2cf3b0180ceb8bc5.jpg

5798b314178fd956947295e55eac32c1.jpg

Well, as usual, I will be glad your coffee
    8ba7613826381811e8ab595c18c11459.jpg
    Download: ↓↓↓
    A new version 3.4.6 has been released

• Added persistent quick launch bar
    • Added a pause S2A. If need to use the phone (so as not to disconnect)
    • Fixed bug with floating button
    • Fixed bug with choosing launcher button and background
    • Minor fixes
    Screen2Auto upgrade to v2.8!
    • Work optimization
    • (Delete) Removed the speedometer.
    • (Add) Added switch to enable / disable the function of forced application termination
    • (Add) Added to the launcher the HOME and WORK buttons from the Yandex navigator.
    • (Add) Added Polish language (thanks wal24)
    • (Add) Launching scree2auto task from Tasker
    • (Fix) Fixed launch from the application menu
    The only way (similar method from the Fermata player thread) I found to overcome the problem for now is:
    - Use Android Auto version 7.0.614104 (tried v7.1.614554, it does not work in any way).
    - Rename the Screen2Auto app v3.6.2 (change the ru.inceptive.screentwoauto name) with Lucky Patcher or any other rename apk app.
    - Uninstall the original Screen2Auto and install the renamed one.
    - Enable Unknown Sources on AA and patch/add the newly renamed app to AA with AA IO Tweaker as you normally would.

I tried turning off/on the car, disconnected and rebooted the phone, Screen2Auto hasn't disappeared yet.
    hello how do you rename the apk with lucky patcher ... i'm interested thank you
    Lucky Patcher actually calls it "Cloning".
    There are also other apps like ApkRenamer and Apk Editor Pro, but haven't tried them.
    An example of cloned app, that has been renamed to ru.inceptive.screentwoautp using Lucky PAtcher clone operation ("p" instead of "o" at the end) (** I'm not responsible if Lucky Patcher has injected anything malicious in the apk, I hope not, I'm also using the apk **):