• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

May 3, 2012
Works on Redmi Note 9 Pro(gauguin, China Edition, 12.0.11.0.QJSCNXM, Miui 12, Android 10. There is a super partition). Thanks so much

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lebigmac

chintoocool

Aug 4, 2014
@thelavip @BlazingKahn35 @nttuan @kpykpy @harpreet.s @m3nty @f1^ter @ITGrouch @Articul8Madness

I noticed when running the script manually from the shell, lpmake will actually work as expected.

So I urge anyone with lpmake error creating super_fixed.bin to launch the script manually like this to find out more about what exactly is causing lpmake to fail. Thank you.

Bash:
cd /data/local/tmp/makesysrw_1.28
./makesysrw.sh size=50 in=./files/super/super_original.bin

Or if you don't want to launch entire script you can simply just launch lpmake manually like this using the lpmake arguments from myargs.txt:
Bash:
./tools/bin/lpmake `cat ./myargs.txt`

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-095810.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-095810.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 77

Xiaoleng

Apr 14, 2021
Not working on my Xperia 10 II (XQ-AU52); factory-shipped Android 10 with super; shows "repacking super failed" tried both in twrp and in terminal emulator; logs attached below

chintoocool

Aug 4, 2014
@thelavip @BlazingKahn35 @nttuan @kpykpy @harpreet.s @m3nty @f1^ter @ITGrouch @Articul8Madness

I noticed when running the script manually from the shell, lpmake will actually work as expected and show the actual error.

So I urge anyone with lpmake error creating super_fixed.bin to launch the script manually like this to find out more about what exactly is causing lpmake to fail. Thank you.

Bash:
adb shell

./makesysrw.sh size=50 in=./files/super/super_original.bin

Or if you don't want to launch entire script you can simply just launch lpmake manually like this using the lpmake arguments from myargs.txt:
Bash:
adb shell

./tools/bin/lpmake `cat ./myargs.txt`

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-095810.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-095810.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 40
  • lpdump.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 8
  • myargs.txt
    184 bytes · Views: 9
  • mylog.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 6

f1^ter

Jan 8, 2016
Nadym
Sony Xperia 1 II
@thelavip @BlazingKahn35 @nttuan @kpykpy @harpreet.s @m3nty @f1^ter @ITGrouch @Articul8Madness @Xiaoleng

Please try the new v1.29
I have fixed the bug where lpmake produces no output @ end of script.
Hopefully this will give more info about what's wrong with slot A/B devices.
After version 1.29, everything worked out! BUT, after turning on the device, the system does not have a boot. After the logo, restart and so on again. Is there any way to restore the original .bin? I attach logs.

Attachments

• lpdump.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 7
  • mylog.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Wow

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
To restore original super image you can do

Code:
adb pull /data/local/tmp/makesysrw_1.29/files/super/super_original.bin

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash super super_original.bin

Or you can flash it back from recovery

To those that get bootloop :
Did you successfully disable dm-verity and verification? My script attempt to do this automatically when launched from recovery using these 2 commands:

Code:
avbctl disable-verification
avbctl disable-verity

If you have no custom recovery or your recovery have no avbctl binary you can try to flash empty vbmeta file like this (you can find empty vbmeta file here at XDA forum)

Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

Last edited:
Reactions: f1^ter
Confirmed working on my moto g power (sofia) XT2041-4ss (Super Partition)

Confirmed working on my moto g7 (river) XT1961-1 (No Super)

Nice work!! Keep it up🤪
The reason why the script worked for you is that the Moto G7 Power was on Android 9 Pie, and R/W unlocked as soon as you get root. No probs there.
Many variants of Moto G Power also came with Android Pie out the box, one of the last. That could be the reason why.
Native Android 10 Moto isn't that simple.

gessler2244

Nov 5, 2016
I installed the zip 1.29, all went fine except these two errors in log:
There was an error of removing the read-only lock of system.img. Ignoring
and
There was an error of removing the read-only lock of vendor.img. Ignoring
I have an Poco X3 NFC and use Arrow OS Vanilla newest build.
Any ideas what could cause that? Thanks in advance and many thanks to lebigmac for the scipt.

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
I installed the zip 1.29, all went fine except these two errors in log:
There was an error of removing the read-only lock of system.img. Ignoring
and
There was an error of removing the read-only lock of vendor.img. Ignoring
I have an Poco X3 NFC and use Arrow OS Vanilla newest build.
Any ideas what could cause that? Thanks in advance and many thanks to lebigmac for the scipt.

Hi gessler2244 thanks for your feedback. Could you please post your log? Thanks.
These 2 errors probably happened because there is no shared_blocks flag to remove from those files because you're using custom ROM that already has read-write capability.

Did you run the script in recovery? Was the super image still flashed properly despite these 2 errors? And did you get a bootloop at all or was it able to boot into Android system successfully?

Last edited:

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
@f1^ter @mrsergey
You can try to disable dm-verity and verification like this:
ALWAYS MAKE BACKUP OF ORIGINAL VBMETA FIRST!

Bash:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta_disabled.img

Last edited:

gessler2244

Nov 5, 2016
I'll try this later At home, Image was flashed as far as I remember, and no bootloop,, booted fine, I run the script in twrp recovery Last version from brigudav.

Attachments

• mylog.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 9

gessler2244

Nov 5, 2016
Flashed via fasrboot The Vbmeta Image, flashed fine, then I rebooted to recovery and run the script again, but no luck it seems, what I find strange also is in the hw info app under partitions /vendor it states : /dev/blockdm-2 fs:read-only. Is this normal, can it be changed? Thousand thanks.

Attachments

• mylog.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 9

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
Flashed via fasrboot The Vbmeta Image, flashed fine, then I rebooted to recovery and run the script again, but no luck it seems, what I find strange also is in the hw info app under partitions /vendor it states : /dev/blockdm-2 fs:read-only. Is this normal, can it be changed? Thousand thanks.

Thanks for sharing your log. It looks good. Also your phone is still booting normally into Android after flashing super_fixed.bin and even after flashing empty vbmeta. This is good sign.

Did you try the most obvious thing yet? This should work since you are using custom ROM...
Bash:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /vendor
mount -o remount,rw /product

If your custom ROM cannot do this I suggest going back to stock Android and try again my script ;)
Good luck!

Last edited:

gessler2244

Nov 5, 2016
Yes I tried all that, and just tried after these commandos if I can write in /vendor , this is possible, but I can´t write in /vendor/etc , and trying mount -o remount,rw /vendor/etc gives error: /vendor/etc not found in proc/mounts. Well maybe switching to any other custom is better..... But MIUI I don´t really want again. Anyway thanks a lot and script seems to work good on most devices.

• Haha

Top Liked Posts

Ok

it's like this :
    I have Asus ROG III
    stock android 11
    twrp latest
    rooted with latest magisk
    I have Xposed working and some modules installed on Xposed
    I too have some modules installed on magisk
    I have plenty of free storage
    I have RW system

the question is: I want to install a full update package from Asus , after wards I should probably lose RW system
    how should I approach this with 💯 success and without having to wipe data?

thank you
    is there any tutorial on how to use sysrw_repair_v1.32 ? :

1- Sorry for spamming the thread.
    2- Thank you Keven11 and lebigmac
    3- Finally I got it, first flashed the stock rom (android 11) and started it just to create the /data/media/ folder. Right after that I turned off the device, flashed the twrp and magisk, and placed the systemrw_1.32 in the /data/local/tmp/ folder. I started the script from the twrp terminal "sh /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/systemrw.sh size=15. After getting the error "73" screen, I started sysrw_repair_v1.32 in vmware emulating linux mint... And everything went really well! :)

View attachment 5425517
    It is definitely a journey. Well worth the work, and time invested in then end. Also, it helps many people understand their devices just that much more. I am glad that you were successful.

Also, everytime a person manages to get this to work for themselves, and explains how they did. That alone helps many others. So thank you for putting in the work, and sharing your experience.
    1- Sorry for spamming the thread.
    2- Thank you Keven11 and lebigmac
    3- Finally I got it, first flashed the stock rom (android 11) and started it just to create the /data/media/ folder. Right after that I turned off the device, flashed the twrp and magisk, and placed the systemrw_1.32 in the /data/local/tmp/ folder. I started the script from the twrp terminal "sh /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/systemrw.sh size=15. After getting the error "73" screen, I started sysrw_repair_v1.32 in vmware emulating linux mint... And everything went really well! :)

c74256c2706c6e8f74e5858e4aa85f57.gif
    Thanks. But you can tell in more detail. Where to get the super_original.bin and super_fix files. Please write detailed instructions.
    this script have 2 mode one is from recovery flash as zip second have run it in android environment.
    if you run this in recovery then it patch and flash super automatically.
    second if you run it in android environment with as mention location of /data/local/tmp/here_your_script_folder/here_script.sh then it create a "img" folder inside of script folder then pull super from your device make a backup and rename that to super_orignal.bin then extract that super and patch r/w capability then make that again super and rename it as super_fix.img so simply you get two bin files inside "img" folder
    if you wanna r/w your device flash super_fix.img from bootloader.
    if you wanna go back to original state "flash super_orignal.bin" from bootloader.
    directory tree will like this :-
    data/ ├─ local/ │ ├─ tmp/ │ │ ├─ systemrw_1.32/ │ │ │ ├─img/ │ │ │ │ ├─super_orignal.bin │ │ │ │ ├─super_fix.bin │ │ │ ├─ tools/ │ │ │ ├─ config.ini │ │ │ ├─ systemrw.sh
    thanks this for @The_Tablet
    That's it!
    Hola, [USER = 11816235] @Ricardo Cruz [/ USER]. Envíeme sus archivos de registro desde esta carpeta. Gracias.
    /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/log / [/ ICODE] Simplemente conecte el teléfono a la computadora usando un cable usb-c a usb-a. [URL='https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/script-android-10-universal-mount-system-read-write-r-w.4247311/page-23#post-84901531'][B]Aquí[/B][/URL] puede encontrar las instrucciones oficiales del script de reparación de resolución de problemas (solo Linux). [/QUOTE] Hello, sorry for the delay, I imagine that these are the files that you ask me [/QUOTE]
    Ok

it's like this :
    I have Asus ROG III
    stock android 11
    twrp latest
    rooted with latest magisk
    I have Xposed working and some modules installed on Xposed
    I too have some modules installed on magisk
    I have plenty of free storage
    I have RW system

the question is: I want to install a full update package from Asus , after wards I should probably lose RW system
    how should I approach this with 💯 success and without having to wipe data?

thank you
    If you can't get this script to work on your device check out the brand new sophisticated superrepack tool by @munjeni

logo_large.jpg

*NEW* SystemRW v1.32 *NEW*
    automated bash script by lebigmac for Android 10 and above

Creation date: February 2021
    Updated: August 2021

Requirements:
    • rooted STOCK Android 10 or newer (custom ROM should already be R/W!)
    • at least 10+ GB free space on phone for dumping data
    Description:
    A script for all Android power users that wish to make their read-only Android 10+ system read/write-able again to remove bloatware and make more thorough customizations to their device.

In a nutshell this is what the script is doing:
    • dumps your existing super OR your system / product / vendor partitions depending on whether or not you've got super partition
    • extracts embedded read-only partitions (system, vendor, product...) from super if applicable
    • makes these partitions read/write-able
    • joins everything back together to new super.img OR NOT depending on whether or not you've got super partition
    • flashes read/write-able images back to device using the super fast Kolibass technique (only in recovery mode)
    User data is not affected.

NOTE:
    • Extract BUNDLE.zip (the included sysrw_repair.zip is only for fixing error 73!)
    • Before launching script make sure you've got full read/write access to the /data partition by first decrypting and then mounting /data partition as R/W!
    • The script can be run both inside custom recovery and inside Android operating system.
      If you run script in Android mode you will need to fastboot flash the patched image(s) manually!
    • To check whether or not you've got a super partition on your device you can run this command:
      adb shell "ls -l /dev/block/by-name/super"
    Manual installation:
    • Extract flashable.zip and copy systemrw_*VERSION* folder into /data/local/tmp/
    • run this command to make the script executable:
    chmod +x /data/local/tmp/systemrw_*VERSION*/systemrw.sh
    Automatic installation:
    Installation of the script has never been this easy!
    Download the flashable.zip below, do NOT enable zip signature verification and simply install it in your custom recovery (works in TWRP, OrangeFox and PBRP!)
    The installer binary will auto-detect whether or not your device has a super partition and launch the script accordingly with the proper command line arguments.

Flashable zip custom usage:
    You can set these custom installation arguments in the included config.ini file.
    Simply extract the flashable.zip and modify the included config.ini file and then save the file. Then compress the systemrw_*VERSION* and META-INF folders again as a new .zip and install it in recovery.
    First line of config.ini contains the script arguments for those WITHOUT super partition.
    By default this line is completely empty (no space).
    Second line of config.ini contains the script arguments for those WITH super partition.
    For example if you already dumped your super_original.bin and want to skip that process next time you install the .zip then put this in line #2 of config.ini :
    in=`ls -l /dev/block/by-name/super | awk '{print $NF}'` size=15
    Remember if you decide to use custom arguments in config.ini then the first character should always be an empty space. If no arguments are used such as by default in line #1 (no super) then the line should be completely empty, no space, nothing.

Script usage:
    If you've got no super partition then simply call the script with no arguments from the shell (see examples below).
    If you've got a super partition I would recommend using the optional size=15 parameter as well to give some extra free space (in MB) to each partition.
    Optional script arguments:
    Replace x with your custom value
    • in=x *THIS IS IGNORED IF YOU'VE GOT NO SUPER PARTITION*
      With this flag you can specify an existing super image as input and skip the entire dumping of the super image process. Here you can use the super_original.bin which you dumped earlier with systemrw or the official unsparsed super.img from your downloaded firmware. (unsparse with simg2img). It's also possible to use your super partition block device as input.
      If omitted, systemrw will dump super image from phone to ./img/super_original.bin
      (path is relative to the script)
    • out=x *THIS IS IGNORED IF YOU'VE GOT NO SUPER PARTITION*
      With this argument you can specify the output path of the new patched super file.
      If omitted, default output value is ./img/super_fixed.bin
    • size=x *ONLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU'VE GOT SUPER PARTITION*
      With this parameter you can specify the extra free space (in megabytes) that will be added to each partition. There is a limit as to how much extra free space you can add per partition. Check your lpdump.txt to find out the exact maximum extra size.
      If omitted, default extra size is 0 (shrink to minimum)

Examples:
    Bash:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32
    chmod +x ./systemrw.sh

# Run this command *IF YOU'VE GOT NO SUPER PARTITION*
    ./systemrw.sh

# Run this command if you're first time user *AND YOU'VE GOT SUPER PARTITION*
    # Specify the extra free space in megabytes for each partition:
    ./systemrw.sh size=15

# Plug an existing super image into the script like this *ONLY IF YOU'VE GOT SUPER PARTITION*
    ./systemrw.sh in=./img/super_original.bin size=15

# Specify both the input file as well as the output destination *ONLY IF YOU'VE GOT SUPER PARTITION*
    ./systemrw.sh in=./img/super_original.bin out=./custom/path/super_fixed.bin size=15

# EXPERT EXAMPLE:
    ./systemrw.sh in=`ls -l /dev/block/by-name/super | awk '{print $NF}'` out=./img/super_fixed.bin size=50

Troubleshooting:
    If you get error 255 in custom recovery when trying to install flashable zip then try to install it manually. If you encounter this error please send me this file /tmp/recovery.log
    Make sure the script folder was correctly extracted to:
    /data/local/tmp/systemrw_*VERSION*
    If you can't run the script try making the file executable like this: chmod +x ./systemrw.sh
    If you still can't get it to work run which sh in your shell and replace the shebang in the first line of the script with the output of that command. Don't remove the first two #! symbols though. Then save the file and try again.
    Make sure you have full read write access to the /data/local/tmp directory and that the containing files are not encrypted in custom recovery!
    If you experience bootloop after successfully flashing super_fixed.bin then your device probably has additional protection features that prevent it from booting modified super images. Try to undo bootloop simply by flashing original stock super image. You might have to flash stock vbmeta as well. Good luck!

About:
    I did not come up with all this by myself. After searching for a solution for countless days without success, going even as far as learning hex editing - I accidentally came across a couple of very interesting threads burried deep inside the new forum interface where this method has been described by various enthousiasts (links can be found in the credits section below). Therefore I take absolutely no credit for the underlying core mechanisms of the script. I'm only the amateur who put it all together into a compact script so that everybody can enjoy an Android system that's read/write-able again. Just like it used to be in Android 9 or earlier. Before this annoying 'shared_blocks feature' was implemented.

Credits:
    Huge thanks to @Kolibass for allowing me to use his partition tools for Android. Without your tools this script would not work on the Android platform! This genius also showed me how to flash a 5GB file to my partition in just under 30 seconds! Much faster than fastboot! I still can't believe it!
    Big thanks to @Brepro1 for allowing me to basically copy his awesome tutorial and make it into a script. Without your tutorial guiding me I couldn't have created this script.
    Thanks @AndyYan your great tutorial also helped me a lot for automating the script especially the lpdump part.
    Also big thanks @munjeni for allowing me to use his superunpack V1 tool in the previous version. It helped me to understand how these super images work.
    Thanks @bynarie for making available his otatools package! A part of it was bundled with the previous version which helped me to create this version. It's still part of the troubleshooting repair script to fix error 73.
    More thanks @gabrielfrias for his helpful comment
    Thanks @YOisuPU and of course @topjohnwu for discovering the 'shared_blocks feature'
    Thanks @HemanthJabalpuri for assisting me in optimizing the underlying algorithm!

Disclaimer:
    #Disclaimer v2.0​
    This open source software is provided as is without any kind of warranty or support whatsoever.
    By using and viewing this software you agree to the following terms:
    • Under no circumstances shall the author be held responsible for any damages that may ensue from the (inappropriate) use of this software.
    • All responsibility, liability and risk lies with the end-user. You hereby agree not to abuse this software for illegal purposes.
    • Under no circumstances shall the comments & title section of the script (lines #1 - #65) as well as the included update-binary be modified or removed by the end-user without the original author's explicit consent.
    • Under no circumstances shall any files included in this project be re-uploaded to 3rd party websites without the original author's explicit consent. That means NO RE-UPLOADS of my files please! Thank you!
    • Under no circumstances shall the end-user disrespect, abuse or steal my project for his own disturbed purposes! The end-user also agrees not to steal my program logo or program name or the names of my functions and variables (and more) only to re-publish them as his/her own without even mentioning the original source.
    • The end-user is encouraged to improve the underlying algorithm (as long as no malicious code is added) and post his/her modifications, results and feedback right here in the official SystemRW project thread @ xda-developers.com
    • If the end-user wants to re-publish my work in his/her own project then he/she shall first ask me (the original author) for permission.
      If you want to make a video tutorial about my script please contact me first!
      Thank you! I can give you high resolution project logo and more!

Please make sure to post your feedback and suggestions in the official thread right here.
    Enjoy customizing your fully read/write-able Android device! And feel free to share your Android system mods with other users in this thread! Thanks!

v1-31d_01-jpg.5309953
    v1-31d_02-jpg.5309955
    v1-31d_03-jpg.5309957

1-jpg.5235933

Confirmed working on these devices :

Download v1.32 mirror #1
    Download v1.32 mirror #2
    current status:
    experimental
    If you like this project and want to support further development of this project & the creation of more amazing projects like this then please feel free to donate to the developer by clicking the link below. Thanks! Your support is very much appreciated!

Donate
    If the script works on your device please send me your log files from this folder:
    /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/log/

Then I can add you to the list of successful devices and it will be helpful for further development. Thank you!
    New version 1.20 is ready! DOWNLOAD HERE
    Good news for those that don't have TWRP or couldn't get it to work in their TWRP. Now the script can also be run directly inside Android. Keep in mind that you will have to flash the patched images manually in this case using fastboot flash.

The zip can still be flashed in TWRP (make sure zip signature verification isn't checked). This time I bundled my device's stock sh binary (which I used to develop the script) with the archive. Hopefully this will prevent avoidable sh-related syntax errors for some folks. The flashable zip installer update-binary automatically launches the script with the proper arguments using this bundled sh program (it's inside the tools subfolder).

To those that were having difficulties running the previous version due to empty partitions or multiple partition groups inside their super : this has finally been fixed :D

Please give this new version a try and let me know if it works for you or not and I will add it to the first post. Thanks for your feedback!
    I try to redo the procedure, i want to change the size. but i get error, can't remove lock.

Good news. New hotfix available HERE
    I got rid of that buggy get minimum size function and reworked the size querying algorithm a little bit. Should be more stable now.

Next step will be to make the script compatible with those devices that have empty partitions embedded inside their super partition...
    Also ronnie was complaining about syntax error but I have yet to find the syntax error... If anyone finds it please let me know so I can fix it. Thank you!
    Great news! Flashable zip is almost ready! I'll upload it later today. Any volunteers want to beta test the new flashable zip to help me iron out any bugs? Please send me a message. Thanks!

Installing the script has never been this easy. Simply swipe with finger inside TWRP and it's automatically installed to correct location on your phone.
    Then it checks a config file for any custom script execution arguments and launches the script with these arguments depending on whether or not your phone has a super partition.

Let me tell you it was not easy to create this flashable zip installer but I had lots of fun learning about this whole flashable zip concept the past few days.