[Closed] Universal SystemRW / SuperRW feat. MakeRW / ro2rw (read-only-2-read/write super partition converter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

NisseGurra

Nov 22, 2005
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Hello. I don't know but the probability is pretty high that it will just work straight out of the box. Give it a try and let us know your results! Good luck!

Hi. I don't think error 73 and cow files are related. Could you please send me your log files so I can double check?
Log files can be found in /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/log/
Thanks!
Did you try yet the included troubleshooting repair script (Linux only)? That usually fixes error 73.
Another possible way to fix error 73 is the @harpreet.s slot switching method described in first post troubleshooting section. Good luck!
Here are the logs, did not try the repair script yet

Attachments

• mylog.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 20
  • lpdump.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 22
  • myargs.txt
    812 bytes · Views: 17
Reactions: lebigmac

lebigmac

Account currently disabled
Jan 31, 2017
OK on Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro.
The final folder systemrw_1.32_BUNDLE_proper \ systemrw_1.32_flashable \ systemrw_1.32 was put along the path:
data / local / tmp / systemrw_1.32
I manually made the img folder: data / local / tmp / systemrw_1.32 / img
Then in Termux the commands are executed:
su
cd /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32
./systemrw.sh size = 500
After the script finishes, in the img folder we find the super_fixed.bin file
We copy it to the main memory of the phone super_fixed.bin and rename it super_fixed.img, and sew it into TWRP as the super section.
Sorry for my bad english.

Hi @sarychev.rescue thanks for your interest in this project and for your feedback!
Congratulations! I am happy for you that my script worked successfully on your Xiaomi device!
Please feel free to post some screenshots if you want!

If you look closely at line #453 of script file (systemrw.sh) you can see that mkdir -p command argument is used to create /img directory if not exist. No need to create /img directory manually.
size=500 is a little bit crazy! I don't recommend going above 100. The lower this value the higher the chance that script will actually work ;)

Here are the logs, did not try the repair script yet
Hi @NisseGurra thanks for your log files!
Holy cow! I just checked your log and you do have a system_b-cow partition!
It looks like cow error 70 is in fact fixed simply by omitting all cow related files when calling lpmake. This is great news!

Error 73 is easy to fix using the included troubleshooting repair script (Linux only).
Simply boot into any random Linux distro's live installation disk and run troubleshooting repair script from there.
Or you could try to run it from a virtual linux machine. Simply enable your USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports in virtual machine settings.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: sarychev.rescue

NisseGurra

Nov 22, 2005
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Hi @sarychev.rescue thanks for your interest in this project and for your feedback!
Congratulations! I am happy for you that my script worked successfully on your Xiaomi device!
Please feel free to post some screenshots if you want!

If you look closely at line #453 of script file (systemrw.sh) you can see that mkdir -p command argument is used to create /img directory if not exist. No need to create /img directory manually.
size=500 is a little bit crazy! I don't recommend going above 100. The lower this value the higher the chance that script will actually work ;)

Hi @NisseGurra thanks for your log files!
Holy cow! I just checked your log and you do have a system_b-cow partition!
It looks like cow error 70 is in fact fixed simply by omitting all cow related files when calling lpmake. This is great news!

Error 73 is easy to fix using the included troubleshooting repair script (Linux only).
Simply boot into any random Linux distro's live installation disk and run troubleshooting repair script from there.
Or you could try to run it from a virtual linux machine. Simply enable your USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports in virtual machine settings.
Good luck!
Tested the repair script in linux, cant not get it to run at all.
I don't find any clear install instructions but even with proper abd install it can not get the script to run:

adb shell
su
chmod +x /data/local/tmp/sysrw_repair_v1.32/sysrw_repair.sh
cd /data/local/tmp/sysrw_repair_v1.32
./sysrw_repair.sh

Gives "inaccessible or not found"

Last edited:

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
Bash:
adb shell
su
./sysrw_repair.sh
I don't find any clear install instructions but even with proper abd install it can not get the script to run:

adb shell
su
./sysrw_repair.sh

Gives "no file accessible"
Your paths are wrong. Please double check again your paths. You are running this on a Linux machine right? Good luck!

Bash:
sudo su
cd /PATH_TO_WHERE_YOU_EXTRACTED_/sysrw_repair_v1.32/
chmod +x ./sysrw_repair.sh
./sysrw_repair.sh

NisseGurra

Nov 22, 2005
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Your paths are wrong. Please double check again your paths. You are running this on a Linux machine right? Good luck!

Bash:
sudo su
cd /PATH_TO_WHERE_YOU_EXTRACTED_/sysrw_repair_v1.32/
chmod +x ./sysrw_repair.sh
./sysrw_repair.sh
Paths seems ok, can change permissions of the file.
Yes, running in ubuntu

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-023413633.jpg
    Screenshot_20210803-023413633.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,035

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
screenshot_20210803-023413633-jpg.5376637

Paths seems ok, can change permissions of the file.
Yes, running in ubuntu
Are you sure? Looking at your screenshot it looks like you're trying to run this troubleshooting repair script on your phone from within root explorer, right? Please keep in mind the troubleshooting repair script is Linux only and is not designed to be run on the phone itself, unlike the systemRW script

Click here for error 73 troubleshooting repair script instructions

Last edited:

bseosbseos

Aug 3, 2021
I don't have a custom recovery for my Pixel 4 XL running latest android 11, will this still work for me?

asuhoops8628

Nov 9, 2011
hello, having an issue... Oneplus Nord N10 5g. Latest flashable zip appears to fail at the last step in Updating Partition Details:

Failed to mount '/system-root' (invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/vendor' (invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/product' (invalid argument)

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
hello, having an issue... Oneplus Nord N10 5g. Latest flashable zip appears to fail at the last step in Updating Partition Details:

Failed to mount '/system-root' (invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/vendor' (invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/product' (invalid argument)
Hi @asuhoops8628 that's not related to script or update-binary. Those are TWRP related errors.
Can you successfully boot into system after flashing super_fixed.bin?
Please send me your log files from /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/log/
Thanks!

OK,Let me try,thanks
Hi @Gentisz new version of script apparently works for OnePlus devices too. Feel free to give it a try while you're at it! And please send me back your results. Thanks!
Also keep in mind you will have to restore original stock read-only super image before using each tool (SystemRW script by @lebigmac or Superrepack tool by @munjeni) as both tools pretty much do the same thing but in a different way (y)

Last edited:

asuhoops8628

Nov 9, 2011
Hi @asuhoops8628 that's not related to script or update-binary. Those are TWRP related errors.
Can you boot into system after flashing super_fixed.bin?
Please send me your log files from /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/log/
Thanks

False alarm - I reflashed my rom, flashed your zip and it appears to be working!

EDIT: Confirmed working flawlessly, OnePlus Nord N10 5G

Last edited:
  • Love

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
False alarm - I reflashed my rom, flashed your zip and it appears to be working!

EDIT: Confirmed working flawlessly, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
That's wonderful news for OnePlus users! Could you please upload a screenshot here in this thread and send me your log files? Thanks! You can send me logs through PM if you want.

Then I can add your device to the list of successful devices on first page! (y)✅

Try remounting your partitions as r/w like this:
Bash:
adb shell
su
for x in / /product /vendor; do mount -o remount,rw $x; done

1-jpg.5235933

Last edited:

bseosbseos

Aug 3, 2021
I have installed/flashed my custom kernel with "EX Kernel Manager"

Is it possible to flash this script with EX Kernel manager or is it advised to use TWRP only?
Ok, so i managed to find an test version of TWRP compatible with Android 11 for my phone (Pixel 4 XL).

However I'm getting this error when i try flashing the image.

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-04 at 4.44.30 PM.jpeg

EDIT:

Confirmed working! on Google Pixel 4 XL on stock Android 11, rooted with magisk and on Kirisakura kernel with the following argument
Code:
size=50
Using the default size=15 would result in error "write error: no space left on device in system" when editing system partition.

Last edited:

Danmann

Jan 11, 2015
pwoss.org
Hey

I just tried your script manually on Ulefone Armor X7 Pro phone.
The phone has only the possibility for root. TWRP might be possible but I haven't done it yet.
The script hasn't shown any major errors or at all. Check the logs.
So i flashed it:
Code:
fastboot flash super super_fixed.bin

But the system is still read only.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Attachments

• lpdump.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 10
  • mylog.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 11

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
Ok, so i managed to find an test version of TWRP compatible with Android 11 for my phone (Pixel 4 XL).

However I'm getting this error when i try flashing the image.

View attachment 5377661
Hi @bseosbseos I can't find the error in your screenshot.
Please send me this file from your recovery /tmp/recovery.log

Hey

I just tried your script manually on Ulefone Armor X7 Pro phone.
The phone has only the possibility for root. TWRP might be possible but I haven't done it yet.
The script hasn't shown any major errors or at all. Check the logs.
So i flashed it:
Code:
fastboot flash super super_fixed.bin

But the system is still read only.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hi @Danmann. First of all I'm happy the script didn't cause bootloop on your device.
Unfortunately your device have no shared_blocks (read-only) feature so script doesn't know what to do. Some other security feature is preventing your device from being mounted as r/w. If you figure out what's forcing your device to remain locked in read-only state please let us know! Thanks! Good luck!

Last edited:

bseosbseos

Aug 3, 2021
Hi @bseosbseos I can't find the error in your screenshot.
Please send me this file from your recovery /tmp/recovery.log
Uploaded here: https://pastebin.com/pKycev6A

EDIT:

Confirmed working! on Google Pixel 4 XL on stock Android 11, rooted with magisk and on Kirisakura kernel with the following argument
Code:
size=50
Using the default size=15 would result in error "write error: no space left on device in system" when editing system partition.

Last edited:

bseosbseos

Aug 3, 2021
You are trying to flash the wrong file. The flashable zip is inside the BUNDLE. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks, I've flashed the flashable zip, looks like it succeeded. Here's my log: https://pastebin.com/y9PMNf6j

However I still can't seem to rename or delete some files within the system folder. Please see screen recording below:

EDIT:

Code:
size=50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the one and only, the original, universal,

System-RW / Super-RW feat. Make-RW / ro2rw (read-only-2-read/write super partition converter) by lebigmac
    Also known as: THE-REAL-RW, FULL-RW, EXT4-RW, EROFS-RW, EROFS-2-RW, F2FS-RW, F2FS-2-RW, EROFS-2-EXT4-CONVERTER, F2FS-2-EXT4-CONVERTER, Super Resizer/Flasher, SYSTEM-RW / PRODUCT-RW / VENDOR-RW / ODM-RW, root enhancer, real root, FULL ROOT, RW MULTI TOOL and many more aliases!
    (NOTE: Full F2FS-RW support coming in 1. quartal 2023 ! Get your Samsungs ready!)

The prophecy has finally been fulfilled.
    Making Android ten years younger!
    Inspiring a whole generation of talented developers and empowering the open source community.
    The Pandora's Box has been fully unlocked at last!
    The genie has been unleashed from within the bottle!
    Sesame! Open up now!
    Let the Olympic Android System Modding Games (OASMG) begin!
    The power is now in YOUR hands! And don't forget:
    With great power comes great responsibility!

Creation date: February 2021
    Updated: January 2023

Requirements:
    • rooted STOCK Android 10 or newer
    • at least 10+ GB free space on phone for dumping data
    Description:
    A script for all Android power users that wish to make their read-only Android 10+ system read/write-able again to remove bloatware and make more thorough customizations to their device.
    Script only modifies super and vbmeta partitions. /data partition is not affected. It's only used for dumping data and for storing script files.
    In a nutshell this is what the script is doing:
    • dumps your existing super partition
    • extracts embedded read-only sub-partitions (system, system_ext, odm, vendor, product...) from specified super image
    • makes these sub-partitions read/write-able using the one and only original MakeRW/ro2rw algorithm
    • joins everything back together to new super.img
    • flashes read/write-able patched super image back to device using the super fast Kolibass technique (only available in recovery mode)

NOTE:
    • The script can be run both inside custom recovery and inside Android operating system.
      If you run script in Android mode you will need to fastboot flash the patched image(s) manually!
    • To check whether or not the script worked correctly you can run this code:
      Bash:
      adb shell
      su
      mount -o remount,rw /
      mount -o remount,rw /odm
      mount -o remount,rw /product
      mount -o remount,rw /system_ext
      mount -o remount,rw /vendor
      mount | grep dm- | head -5
    Manual installation:
    • Extract flashable.zip and copy sysrw_*VERSION* folder into /data/local/tmp/
    • run this command to make the script executable:
      chmod +x /data/local/tmp/sysrw_*VERSION*/sysrw
    Automatic installation:
    Installation of the script has never been this easy!
    Download the flashable.zip below, do NOT enable zip signature verification and simply install it in your custom recovery (works in TWRP, OrangeFox and PBRP!)
    The update binary will auto-detect the arguments in config.ini and launch the script accordingly

Flashable zip custom usage:
    You can easily modify the custom script execution arguments in the included config.ini file. Simply extract the flashable.zip, edit the included config.ini file with notepad and then save the file. Next compress the sysrw_*VERSION* and META-INF folders again as a new flashable .zip and install it in recovery. Have fun playing around with your config.ini :D(y)

Script usage:
    Simply execute the program from the terminal shell with or without custom arguments
    Optional script arguments:
    Replace x with your custom value
    • in=x
      Specify existing super image as input [OPTIONAL]
      Omitting this parameter is equivalent to using in=@auto which is equivalent to using your super block device as input
    • out=x
      Specify patched super image output file path [OPTIONAL]
      Omitting this parameter is equivalent to using out=@auto
      and the patched super image will be saved as ./img/super_patched.bin by default
    • size=x
      Specify the extra free space (in megabytes) to be added to each sub-partition of super.img [OPTIONAL]
      Omitting this parameter is equivalent to using size=@auto which will activate the auto-resize feature
    • -r
      Specify whether or not the patched super image should be output in raw file format [OPTIONAL]
      Omitting this parameter will create a sparse patched super image by default

Usage examples:
    Bash:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.33
    chmod +x ./sysrw

#  Run program with default settings [RECOMMENDED]
    ./sysrw

# Specify existing super image as input [OPTIONAL]
    ./sysrw in=./img/super_original.img

# Specify patched super image output file path [OPTIONAL]
    ./sysrw out=./img/super_patched_new.img

# Specify the extra free space (in megabytes) to be added to each sub-partition of super.img [OPTIONAL]
    ./sysrw size=15

# Specify whether or not the patched super image should be output in raw file format [OPTIONAL]
    ./sysrw -r

# EXPERT EXAMPLE (Warning! This command could potentially corrupt your system. Only use at your own risk in recovery mode!)
    ./sysrw in=img/super_original.bin out=`realpath /dev/block/by-name/super` -r

Uninstallation:
    • To free up space and keep script as well as r/w capability you can simply delete /img subfolder at /data/local/tmp/sysrw_*VERSION*/img
    • To delete script and keep r/w capability you can simply delete whole script folder at /data/local/tmp/sysrw_*VERSION*
    • To undo all changes performed by the script you can simply reflash original stock read-only super image and re-enable dm-verity and verification either through adb/fastboot or with the included avbctl binary.

Troubleshooting:
    If you can't get this script to work on your device check out the brand new sophisticated superrepack tool by @munjeni
    If you get any errors from the update-binary in your custom recovery during installation of the flashable .zip then please send me this log file /tmp/recovery.log
    and a screenshot of your error. Thanks! (y)
    Make sure the script folder was correctly extracted to:
    /data/local/tmp/sysrw_*VERSION*
    If you can't run the script try making the file executable like this: chmod +x ./sysrw
    If you still can't get it to work run which sh in your shell and replace the shebang in the first line of the script with the output of that command. Don't remove the first two #! symbols though. Then save the file and try again.
    Make sure you've got full read / write access to the /data/local/tmp directory and that the containing files are not encrypted in custom recovery!
    If you get a bootloop after successfully creating and flashing super_patched.bin then that's probably because you didn't properly disable your dm-verity and verification.
    To undo any bootloop simply re-flash original stock read-only super image and re-enable dm-verity and verification with the included avbctl binary or through adb/fastboot. Those are the only changes performed by the script. If you have any more questions just ask in this thread. Good luck!

About:
    I did not come up with all this by myself. After searching for a solution for countless days without success, going even as far as learning hex editing - I accidentally came across a couple of very interesting threads burried deep inside the new forum interface where this method has been described by various rw enthousiasts (links can be found in the credits section below). Therefore most credit goes to these rw enthousiasts. I'm only the amateur who put it all together into a compact script so that everybody can enjoy an Android system that's read/write-able again. Just like it used to be in Android 9 or earlier. Before these annoying 'shared_blocks' and 'EROFS' read-only features were implemented.

Credits:
    Huge thanks to @Brepro1 for allowing me to use his awesome tutorial and make it into a script. Without your tutorial guiding me I couldn't have created this script.
    Huge thanks to @Kolibass for allowing me to use his partition tools for Android. Without your tools this script would not work on the Android platform!
    Big thanks @munjeni for allowing me to use his amazing superunpack V1 tool in the initial version. It helped me to understand how these super images work.
    Thanks @AndyYan your great tutorial also helped me a lot for automating the script especially the lpdump part.
    Thanks @bynarie for making available his otatools package! A part of it was bundled with the initial version which helped me to create this universal version. It's still part of the troubleshooting repair script to fix error 73.
    Thanks @HemanthJabalpuri for assisting me in optimizing the underlying algorithm!

Disclaimer:
    #Disclaimer v3.0​
    This open source software is provided as is without any kind of warranty or support whatsoever.
    By using and viewing this software you agree to the following terms:
    • Under no circumstances shall the author be held responsible for any damages that may occur from the (inappropriate) use of this software (or parts thereof).
    • All responsibility, liability and risk lies with the end-user. You hereby agree not to abuse this software for illegal purposes.
    • Please don't steal, hack, crack, mod, hex-edit, decompile, rebrand and / or abuse this software or parts thereof. Thank you!
    • This software can be re-uploaded to 3rd party websites indefinitely as long as the software itself (or any parts thereof) were not modified by unauthorized 3rd parties without the original author's prior knowledge and explicit written consent
    • This software (or parts thereof) were provided for free only for non-commercial, educational, personal, legal purposes
    • To use this software (or parts thereof) for commercial purposes, please rent a commercial usage license
      Thank you very much for your support! Thanks to your amazing support I can continue working on this project and other interesting projects like this. :D(y)

Enjoy debloating and customizing your fully read/write-able next-gen Android device! :love:(y)

Please post your feedback, suggestions and your Olympic Android System Mods (OASMG) @ the official SystemRW / SuperRW feat. MakeRW / ro2rw by lebigmac links below. Thanks :D(y)

https://xdaforums.com/t/universal-s...tition-converter-resizer-by-lebigmac.4247311/

https://xdaforums.com/t/closed-the-...n-converter-erofs-rw-ext4-rw-f2fs-rw.4536821/

v1-31d_01-jpg.5309953
    v1-31d_03-jpg.5309957

1-jpg.5235933

working-jpg.5525671

Confirmed working on these devices:

Download

current status: experimental

If you like this project and want to support further development of it & the creation of more amazing projects like this then please feel free to donate to the original developer lebigmac by clicking the button below. Thanks! Your support is very much appreciated!

Donate
    Thread Closed

Hello everyone

As helpful as @lebigmac may be, no one – not even us – is above XDA's Forum Rules. Our work as moderators usually remains in the background but it felt necessary to provide some transparency here. After consulting our team I have decided to ban the OP of this thread for three months and it will remain locked until OP requests to open it back up after the ban expires. For some of you this will come as a complete surprise and may seem unfair but I would like to stress that we have invested a massive amount of energy and a mountain of patience to come to a resolve with lebigmac. Several moderators were involved. Despite our many efforts, (s)he persisted to openly accuse people of plagiarism, inciting conflict, call out the people involved and communicated in a very condescending and demeaning way.
    We of course regret this course of action. Developers and development is everything to us but boundaries must be respected. After several earlier time-outs we had no other option but to proceed this way. We're hoping this will bring back some peace in this feud as well. With so much going on in the world we really don't need opposing developer parties. Open source is about cooperation and improving existing code, not about bitter fights over protecting your own code, which is based on the work of others anyway. One questionable screenshot aside, there hasn't been any viable proof of plagiarism provided to us related to this project.

Thank you all for your understanding and as always we remain available to answer your questions and concerns via PM. Have an amazing day!

Kind regards
    Timmy
    Senior Moderator
    If the script works on your device please send me your log files from this folder:
    /data/local/tmp/systemrw_1.32/log/

And please write your phone model - Android version - firmware version

Then I can add you to the list of successful devices and it will be helpful for further development. Thank you!(y)
    Allow me to add some more information to above post of my teammate @Timmmmaaahh!

The account of the author of this thread has been permanently suspended. In your own interest, I ask everybody not to promote a banned user or his website, blog, work etc. on XDA. Thanks very much for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    Okay I know you guys have been waiting a long time... Thanks for your patience, loyalty, support and your interest in this amazing project for the past year! Unfortunately there's lots of dubious copycats floating around by now. Remember you saw it here first ;)(y)
    The one and only, the original
    SystemRW / SuperRW featuring MakeRW by lebigmac
    This month new version should be ready :D(y)
    I'm working on it hard 🛠️⚙️⛏️🔧✂️🔨
    Hopefully we can start beta testing in 2nd half of April May June July August September October and then it should be ready for final release :love:
    I'm so excited!

This is awesome! Unfortunately, it doesn't support Android 12 yet : ( .

The new version has support for Android 12 and beyond! :ROFLMAO:

Bash:
    sdkCheck(){
        sdkVersion=`getprop ro.build.version.sdk`
        if [ $sdkVersion -lt 29 ]; then
            printf "$app: Please install Android 10 or newer and try again\n\n" && exit 1
        else
            android=$(($sdkVersion - 19))
        fi
        printf "$app: Current Android version: %s\n" $android
    }