[SCRIPT] aRoot for Atrix 4G [ root - init.d - sideloading - tethering ]

Search This thread

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Works on any Atrix, rooted, deodexed, stock, doesn't matter!!
OLYFR_U4_1.2.6 supported
OLYFR_U4_1.5.2 supported

*MOD EDIT* THIS IS OLD. USE ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Features:
Root
Installs tethering apn(enable the apn AFTER you enable mobile hotspot)
Unlocks all APN's for editing
Enables init.d support (on the android side, sample script mounts /system rw)
Installs Superuser.apk
Enables Non-market apps (sideloading)
Installs su and sqlite3 binaries to /system/bin
Removes oneclickroot busybox mess (if it exists)
unRoot script

How to use:
note: xp users, you will get an error about the TIMEOUT function, ignore it.
Enable USB Debugging on your phone (settings > applications > development > enable USB debugging)
Plug your phone into your computer
Extract aRoot.7z
Run aRoot.bat (run unRoot.bat to unroot)

Download:
http://ponack.net/designgears/atrix/aRoot/

Last edited by a moderator:

airbillion

Jan 2, 2008
My most recent brick was mostly caused by having busybox installed and symlinked twice. Busybox is already included on the phone stock, oneclickroot installs and symlinks it again in the /system/xbin directory. This is messy and can cause problems. I created this script to simply use what is there, only adding what is needed for a nice neat clean setup.

What this script does:
Roots
Installs Superuser.apk
Removes onclickroot busybox install (if it exists)

Download:
http://www.ponack.net/designgears/atrix/aRoot.7z

Thanks for the departing gift DG. Can we install this without any issues if we have already used the superoneclick root method?

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
Okay currently rooted with Adeo already assuming unroot before applying this script, but as far as Adeo I understand it doesn't need to be rooted for the install but if its already there would i have any problems swapping the root method?

Edit: Oh hehe was beat to it XD

Thank you!!! sooooo much for all your work and your continuous support, looking forward to what you will tackle next.

airbillion

Jan 2, 2008

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
I ran the script and it gave me an error about TIMEOUT not a known function, but it still got the job done. I used the one before the unroot was added (redownloading now).

Again, many thanks. Can't wait to see what the other "gifts" are.

very odd, I wonder if older versions of windows dont support the timeout function...

what are you running?

itsonlym3

Feb 4, 2011
aces, thanks DG! all the work to date on the Atrix are and have been appreciated.

tpdtopcop

Jul 29, 2007
Thanks DG

I used oneclickroot and have just done your aroot.bat. How do I know if it un messed the previous root and everything is now good?

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
just looked it up, sure enough xp doesn't support that, oh well, doesn't matter, adb will wait for the device to some online, I might just take it out.

thanks for testing that guys.

i think xp still used it, just complained about it.

Last edited:

yokozuna82

Nov 4, 2007
Sorry I'm new to this so if I used superoneclick then surely I will get a bricked phone...I get forced closed about once a day is that from the superoneclick?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Sorry I'm new to this so if I used superoneclick then surely I will get a bricked phone...I get forced closed about once a day is that from the superoneclick?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

It is possible that is the problem. Unless you are doing command line stuff you will be fine. It won't just brick you for no reason.

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
Thank you very much for your work...

Just to confirm, do I use this aRoot instead of your previous SuperOneClick?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works on any Atrix, rooted, deodexed, stock, doesn't matter!!
    OLYFR_U4_1.2.6 supported
    OLYFR_U4_1.5.2 supported

*MOD EDIT* THIS IS OLD. USE ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Features:
    Root
    Installs tethering apn(enable the apn AFTER you enable mobile hotspot)
    Unlocks all APN's for editing
    Enables init.d support (on the android side, sample script mounts /system rw)
    Installs Superuser.apk
    Removes oneclickroot busybox mess (if it exists)
    unRoot script

How to use:
    note: xp users, you will get an error about the TIMEOUT function, ignore it.
    Enable USB Debugging on your phone (settings > applications > development > enable USB debugging)
    Plug your phone into your computer
    Extract aRoot.7z
    Run aRoot.bat (run unRoot.bat to unroot)

Download:
    http://ponack.net/designgears/atrix/aRoot/
    As far as my experience goes, rooting should have no effect on updating either manually, by Moto OTA, or g-d forbid, by ATT OTA. Right?

Just a wonder because I'm pretty sure that deodexing will likely lead to update issues...

Thank you DG! I had the captivate and want the SGS2 but I got the Atrix as a free 4 month upgrade :-/ I wish I could follow you (maybe I can if I can scum Att again)

deodexing will cause issues with the updates, changing files will do that because it hash checks the file and then applies a patch rather then replacing the entire file.

Adding files, changing permissions, etc, will not cause issues with the updates.
    Thanks DG. I knew if I waited it would pay off.

Any plans on making an "unroot" script?

unroot script added :)
    I was brought here by another user pointing out that aRoot was created specifically for the Atrix. I have no experience with rooting and i was wondering if there was a complete tutorial on how to use aRoot correctly?

Well, I'm getting my Atrix in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering if it's possible to have a step-by-step tutorial on how to use aRoot to actually root your Atrix. I mean, you mentioned you had to instal the SDK and run the .bat file. I kinda get it. Could someone help us with the installing steps coming from zero?

Something like:

1. Download Atrix Drivers from...
    2. Install drivers..
    3. Download SDK from...
    4. Install xxxx

Hope someone can really help us noobs! I've been dealing with Motorola Milestone 1 and have never bricked my phone but procedures seem seamless. Atrix has a different procedure and, as I have observed, it's way trickier.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to install the SDK, the only things you need are aRoot and the drivers installed. Then you extract the aRoot.7z, and run aRoot.bat, wait for it to reboot your phone and you are done.
    this is so much easier than SuperOneClick. Thanks DG for this tool. I won't know what I will get out of the rooted Atrix (since it's still sim-lock :D) but i like to get my Atrix up to date :D

Here's a quick How-to for all new Atrix users:
    1- Download and install the lightweight drivers from briefmobile (you don't need to download the Motorola Media Link for your phone to connect to PC)
    2- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone (settings > application > development > USB Debuggin mode)
    3- Connect phone to USB, slide the notification bar down, click on USB Connection, choose None)
    4- Extract aRoot.7z, and run file aroot.bat, then wait for the phone to reboot, then you DONE.