[SCRIPT] KILL android.process.media FOR SAVING BATTERY

Search This thread

bamsbamx

Aug 2, 2011
Bilbo
livenfun.com
Of course, root is required... ;)

I was getting tired about seeing how mediaserver was draining my battery(see attached picture) so I researched a bit and I found how to kill mediaserver process...

attachment.php

Just replace .txt with .sh and execute it with script manager or terminal emulator...

Here is its code:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
killall -9 android.process.media
killall -9 mediaserver

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have enabled int.d scripts, you can put this script in /system/etc/init.d/...
Or flash this zip: http://d-h.st/2bU (Thanks to acer73 ;) )

the idea is to schedule the execution of this script for example each 1 hour.... Because i think that when we start playing music media server starts again...

however, I must investigate a bit more....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to see which processes are running currently: just write "ps" in terminal emulator

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-16-13-38-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-16-13-38-11.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 93,811
  • 00mediaserver.txt
    76 bytes · Views: 6,363
Last edited:

polar2792

Oct 23, 2011
Gastonia, NC

I was getting tired about seeing how mediaserver was draining my battery(see attached picture) so I researched a bit and I found how to kill mediaserver process...

attachment.php

Just replace .txt with .sh and execute it with script manager or terminal emulator...

Here is its code:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
killall -9 mediaserver

Undo?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

jarjar124

Apr 28, 2012
Brooklyn
Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it is suppose to look?
Edit: seems like it won't let me post a pic of it. Can someone post how it is supposed to look on script manager?
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:

bgener

Oct 4, 2010
Hi so can I still play media after this? What exactly am I killing. Because it's rapping my battery for 30%. or is that just the usage from actually listening to music? I'm not a newb, but I feel like an explanation of what the service does would help ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

bamsbamx

Aug 2, 2011
Bilbo
livenfun.com
the idea is to schedule the execution of this script for example each 1 hour.... Because i think that when we start playing music media server starts again...

to see which processes are running currently: just write "ps" in terminal emulator

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
The issue is not the media server but one or severals apps that run in services and keep it awake.
All the apps that are galleries or media player uses media server to play/show/scan so if you use any of those app mediaserver while be get a high percentage of battery usage and that's normal, the issue is when one of the apps is baddly coded an keeps awake media server even if you are not using the app
So you just need to hunt the ****ty app that makes mediaserver drain your battery

Last edited:

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
The issue is not the media server but one or severals apps that run in services and keep it awake.
All the apps that are galleries or media player uses media server to play/show/scan so if you use any of those app mediaserver while be get a high percentage of battery usage and that's normal, the issue is when one of the apps is baddly coded an keeps awake media server even if you are not using the app
So you just need to hunt the ****ty app that makes mediaserver drain your battery

Would power amp be responsible? I don't know, because for the last few days I haven't had any drain from the media server process and just today it started.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ugotproblemz

Feb 16, 2009
New York City
I only use power amp as my primary music player. So are u suggesting that I switch players???

The total wake up on the media server is equivalent to how long I listen music to..

lnfound

Jun 6, 2012
I only use power amp as my primary music player. So are u suggesting that I switch players???

The total wake up on the media server is equivalent to how long I listen music to..

Then it's working as intended..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

attachment.php

Here is its code:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    killall -9 mediaserver

If you have enabled int.d scripts, you can put this script in /system/etc/init.d/...
    Or flash this zip: http://d-h.st/2bU (Thanks to acer73 ;) )

Undo?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

just reboot..
    For those with battery drain issues, i recommend this app :) It will help a lot

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297948
    i think this is better, but you must make sure you have pidof this command
    #!/system/bin/sh
    kill -9 $(pidof android.process.media)
    kill -9 $(pidof mediaserver)