[Script]Loopy Smoothness Tweak[TUT]

Search This thread

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
requires Root (Superuser/Busybox), and a kernel that supports "init.d" scripts (script files that are stored in /system/etc/init.d/).

The script also has a partner called V6 supercharger they go pretty well together heres a link to the V6 supercharger by zeppelinrox

this script is so easy to use but users might have problems using it so here is a easy install for you all to use i have converted it to run on non samsung phones by renaming the file and removing processes connected to the stock samsung apps ;)

1. Have Clockwork recovery installed
  2. Download the update.zip from the bottom of the post
  3. Reboot into recovery and install the update.zip

Now for the really easy part ;)

Using Root Explorer navigate to ect/init.d and select mount RW now scroll down to the "97loopy_smoothness_tweak" file and open it in the text editor within root explorer and you will see the 3 main sections to the script they are called

At the start of the script you will see this
Code:
USER_LAUNCHER=""
you need to add the launcher you currently use so that it gets locked in ;)

• Resident system apps
  • Other system apps
  • Other apps

in the 3 sections you will see lines one code that look the same which are

Code:
if [ $PROCESS_1 -eq "0" ]; then PNAME="com.android.phone"; NICELEVEL=-20; if [ `pidof $PNAME` ]; then renice $NICELEVEL `pidof $PNAME`; PROCESS_1=1; P_CHECK=`expr $P_CHECK + 1`; fi; fi;

All you do to add a app you want to keep in memory for as long as possible is to edit the script and change these values for e.g the stock dialer to go contacts
Code:
PNAME="com.android.phone";
to
Code:
PNAME="com.japps.contactpro";
that will keep Go Contacts EX locked in the background so everytime you wish to use the GC EX dialer you wont have to wait for it redrawing before using it.

To find the process names goto the data/data folder and all the folders you see in there are the process names used by the apps e.g. the com.android.vending folder is the process name for the vending.apk aka market app.

Just to let users no this script will not auto start the apps on reboot and once you first select the app you have added to the script after reboot you will have to wait for the app to redraw the app again into the memory slot once it has done that the app will remain in a cache type(hidden) form until you run the app again then it will return to ram in the foreground.

lpy of XDA said:
What this script hopes to achieve:

- Entering your PIN with minimal/no delay/lag
- Minimising delay with lock screen pattern/unlock (not the time it takes to wakeup, but the touchscreen response lag)
- Having smoother notifications on the status bar, and smoother pulldown menu response
- Minimising Launcher lag while Media Scanner is running (can scroll through screens without heavy pauses)
- Minimising lag when scrolling through the market while icons are still loading
- Installing/Uninstalling apps while continuing other tasks
- Minimising/eliminating intermittent lag spikes in gaming
- No delay in being able to answer phone calls
... you get the idea

Thanks goes to the creator lpy @XDA
tweak source:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1137554

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?g4fte3m87t3ukui

Last edited:

nutterbg

Nov 9, 2009
Have you tested this? I'm doing backup right now, and I might, but I'm looking at the script, and it says it's for Galaxy S. There's also a part on one of the first lines where you have to specify your launcher. Also, I don't think the scripts it our init.d even begin with "S_..", but rather with a two digit number, e.g. "06swapon".

EDIT: I edited the file to point to my launcher "com.fede.launcher", and touched nothing else. Named it "18smooth" or something of the sort, and put it in /system/etc/inid.d. The system failed to boot(never got past the second "LG" screen. Maybe it's the rom I'm using, but this is not working so far. I hope your promised tutorial is of use. :)

Last edited:

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
Have you tested this? I'm doing backup right now, and I might, but I'm looking at the script, and it says it's for Galaxy S. There's also a part on one of the first lines where you have to specify your launcher. Also, I don't think the scripts it our init.d even begin with "S_..", but rather with a two digit number, e.g. "06swapon".

EDIT: I edited the file to point to my launcher "com.fede.launcher", and touched nothing else. Named it "18smooth" or something of the sort, and put it in /system/etc/inid.d. The system failed to boot(never got past the second "LG" screen. Maybe it's the rom I'm using, but this is not working so far. I hope your promised tutorial is of use. :)

yes i have tested it and it works i will be uploading a modded one for the update.zip but if you install it just rename it to 97smoothnees, it asks for the launcher you currently are using e.g. adw launcher but if you have any worries wait until tomorrow for the tut :p

Reactions: hardspace

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
I think this is helping with battery management because my battery seems to be going down slower ;)

Sent from my GT540 using XDA Premium App

Reptilez_DK

Jan 22, 2011
Kolding
Downloaded it, and flash'd it in cwm on my girlfriends gt540. In her opinion, it makes a noticeable difference.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

pRo_lama

May 10, 2008
Prague
eoghan2t7 said:

I did this and when i'm trying to do next i can't find the file in etc/init.d folder

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
I did this and when i'm trying to do next i can't find the file in etc/init.d folder

i just tried the update.zip again there and it installed fine for me what clockwork version are you using?

but you can extract the zip file and manually add the file to the init.d folder and give it these perrmissions

xxx
xxx
xxx

sanmit

Feb 22, 2011
Should this method not eat battery rather than conserving it? As apps run in background correct me if m wrong....

Sent from my GT540 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    requires Root (Superuser/Busybox), and a kernel that supports "init.d" scripts (script files that are stored in /system/etc/init.d/).

The script also has a partner called V6 supercharger they go pretty well together heres a link to the V6 supercharger by zeppelinrox

this script is so easy to use but users might have problems using it so here is a easy install for you all to use i have converted it to run on non samsung phones by renaming the file and removing processes connected to the stock samsung apps ;)

Now for the really easy part ;)

Using Root Explorer navigate to ect/init.d and select mount RW now scroll down to the "97loopy_smoothness_tweak" file and open it in the text editor within root explorer and you will see the 3 main sections to the script they are called

At the start of the script you will see this
    Code:
    USER_LAUNCHER=""
    you need to add the launcher you currently use so that it gets locked in ;)

• Resident system apps
    • Other system apps
    • Other apps

in the 3 sections you will see lines one code that look the same which are

Code:
    if [ $PROCESS_1 -eq "0" ]; then PNAME="com.android.phone"; NICELEVEL=-20; if [ `pidof $PNAME` ]; then renice $NICELEVEL `pidof $PNAME`; PROCESS_1=1; P_CHECK=`expr $P_CHECK + 1`; fi; fi;

All you do to add a app you want to keep in memory for as long as possible is to edit the script and change these values for e.g the stock dialer to go contacts
    Code:
    PNAME="com.android.phone";
    to
    Code:
    PNAME="com.japps.contactpro";
    that will keep Go Contacts EX locked in the background so everytime you wish to use the GC EX dialer you wont have to wait for it redrawing before using it.

To find the process names goto the data/data folder and all the folders you see in there are the process names used by the apps e.g. the com.android.vending folder is the process name for the vending.apk aka market app.

Just to let users no this script will not auto start the apps on reboot and once you first select the app you have added to the script after reboot you will have to wait for the app to redraw the app again into the memory slot once it has done that the app will remain in a cache type(hidden) form until you run the app again then it will return to ram in the foreground.

lpy of XDA said:
    What this script hopes to achieve:

- Entering your PIN with minimal/no delay/lag
    - Minimising delay with lock screen pattern/unlock (not the time it takes to wakeup, but the touchscreen response lag)
    - Having smoother notifications on the status bar, and smoother pulldown menu response
    - Minimising Launcher lag while Media Scanner is running (can scroll through screens without heavy pauses)
    - Minimising lag when scrolling through the market while icons are still loading
    - Installing/Uninstalling apps while continuing other tasks
    - Minimising/eliminating intermittent lag spikes in gaming
    - No delay in being able to answer phone calls
    ... you get the idea

Thanks goes to the creator lpy @XDA
    tweak source:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1137554

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?g4fte3m87t3ukui
    I used it for a month!!
    Thanks, but that's not what I was asking. I was just using messaging as an example. I saw that it was already in the script. Where can I find the reference names of the applications that I have to enter for PNAME?

/data/data: All the folders are there in the format you need, but I imagine it might take a bit of searching. Here's another idea:
    1. Open Android Market
    2. Search the application (e.g. Go SMS)
    3. Open the application page, and look at the address bar on your browser.
    For example: GO SMS Pro. The address bar reads: "https://mаrkеt.android.com/details?id=com.jb.gosms&feature=search_result". There's your application name. :D

yes i have tested it and it works i will be uploading a modded one for the update.zip but if you install it just rename it to 97smoothnees, it asks for the launcher you currently are using e.g. adw launcher but if you have any worries wait until tomorrow for the tut :p
    Should this method not eat battery rather than conserving it? As apps run in background correct me if m wrong....

Sent from my GT540 using XDA App

no, the apps sleep in cache - they are not acting like services (which draws battery) - it's just to keep them sleeping in cache so you don't need to reload/restart the app.
    So if you need these apps many times your phone has lower load to bring them to you -> this CAN save battery.