[SCRIPT] [WIN-10] WSL 1/2 Utility for Windows 10 x64

Search This thread

NullCode

• Hello People. This is basically a combination of batch scripts made by me to make WSL less daunting for people who do not want to do Powershell things and introduce MANY more people to Linux [and make existing dual boot Linux users just stick to Windows w/o the ugly GRUB].

Disclaimer: Only you know what you're doing. I have tested everything on me and my friend's PC and it seems to work fine. If your PC catches fire or starts an apocalypse it's not my fault. So yeah be careful about what you're doing.

Things the scripts can do:
    1) Enable WSL 2 in any Windows 10 2004 computer. [NEW: Older versions of windows 10 are now supported.]
    2) Download all the available distros with a couple key presses.
    3) Automatically detects the downloaded distro and installs it without any user input.

Downloads are attached in the thread and instructions are given in the zip file.

How to know which zip to download (1 or 2) [Don't Skip]:
    1) Go to the start menu.
    2) Type "Run" and press enter
    3) Then type there "winver" and press enter.
    4) If you see 2004 there, ONLY THEN are you able to download the WSL-2 zip. Otherwise update your Windows or use the WSL-1 zip.

Note to self: Things to do in the future--
    1) Make a GUI of sorts.
    2) Anything else the people want.

Not going to force you or anything, but I would appreciate if you pressed the Thanks button after benefiting from my zip (I see 78 downloads but only 2 thanks...)

Edit: NEW DOWNLOAD LINKS
    https://mega.nz/file/NAxASK4I#2qr4ra4KJAcliEqDuCNQd0GnJeHe4FXpvw3KUfqtKxc [for WSL 1]
    https://mega.nz/file/lE40AKDa#3Qqk6WH04vzYW8wrrcruuOdqpde-KUzYnu0o50tmZzo [for WSL 2]

Last edited:

NullCode

• WSL-2 Changelogs:
    Version 1:
    Initial Release

Version 2:
    Complete Redesign
    Compressed all my code to 2 very compact Batch files [previously it was 4 Batch files and 5 Powershell files]
    Added Distro Downloaders and Installers (x64 only as of now)
    Made it more stable [the previous method was very hacky and used bypasses]
    Fixed all typos
    Made it more user-friendly

Version 2.1
    Quality of Life improvements

Version 2.2
    Back-Ported the 'more sophisticated' Distro Downloader from WSL-1
    Made Instructions better

Last edited:
    Reactions: elong7681

NullCode

• WSL-1 Changelogs:
    Version 1:
    Initial Build

Version 1.1:
    Made the instructions more newbie friendly.
    Backported the WSL-2 Distro Downloader and Installer to WSL-1

Version 2.0:
    Complete redesign of the Menu [Looks MUCH more visually pleasing]
    Made the in-built Distro Downloader A LOT more sophisticated
    Cleaned up the back-end a little bit
    Improved Instructions

Last edited:

NullCode

• Announcements
    27/10/2020
    I have started learning C++ so let's see if I can make a GUI with that

18/10/2020
    Added a new WSL-1 zip file for people who do not have version 20H1

17.5/10/2020
    Fixed Everything and restored download link. Now you can download again!

17/10/2020:
    Removed download link because I noticed a couple typos. Fixing them and uploading the file please wait.

Last edited:
    J

JohnMes

Thank you, bro, because I use both windows and linux, now I don't have to restart the computer every time.:good:

Nsomnia

Nov 4, 2012
    Just have to. Say thanks had this opFeat installed since maybe it was first available in the list and never researched how. To. Use it or. What it really did. Just gotta find out if this will run fine on my surface too (anything except liveOS off usb will work and causes windows to eff up despite grub/4win/stock/grub if it works excites to use kali on there properly}

NullCode

• Just have to. Say thanks had this opFeat installed since maybe it was first available in the list and never researched how. To. Use it or. What it really did. Just gotta find out if this will run fine on my surface too (anything except liveOS off usb will work and causes windows to eff up despite grub/4win/stock/grub if it works excites to use kali on there properly}

You're very welcome but I would be happy if the thanks button was pressed ;) Also, it should work fine on any Windows 10 computer [remember I am using a Haswell computer and it still works]. I also have Kali working but it does not support Monitor Mode and Packet Injection just yet [Microsoft does not want to implement this feature due to security concerns]. You can also get a GUI up and running with ONLY kali using Win-Kex [look it up]

Reactions: elong7681

NikuDuw

Nov 24, 2020
    Our PC system has been attacked by a ransomewhere virus, called as .lisp file virus and our files has been encrypted to .lisp sub-extension. Any technical advice?

oldman820

Nov 11, 2020
    Thanks but any chance of getting clean links that don't require allowing JavaScript before i can access them ?
    It's blocked by my browser security and even if i allow it ,the download link gets blocked by Eset.
    Doesn't anyone vet the links that get posted in the forum here ?
    There's no need for a download link to be like that.

Last edited:

NullCode

• Thanks but any chance of getting clean links that don't require allowing JavaScript before i can access them ?
    It's blocked by my browser security and even if i allow it ,the download link gets blocked by Eset.

sure, giving

Reactions: oldman820

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hello People. This is basically a combination of batch scripts made by me to make WSL less daunting for people who do not want to do Powershell things and introduce MANY more people to Linux [and make existing dual boot Linux users just stick to Windows w/o the ugly GRUB].

Disclaimer: Only you know what you're doing. I have tested everything on me and my friend's PC and it seems to work fine. If your PC catches fire or starts an apocalypse it's not my fault. So yeah be careful about what you're doing.

Things the scripts can do:
      1) Enable WSL 2 in any Windows 10 2004 computer. [NEW: Older versions of windows 10 are now supported.]
      2) Download all the available distros with a couple key presses.
      3) Automatically detects the downloaded distro and installs it without any user input.

Downloads are attached in the thread and instructions are given in the zip file.

How to know which zip to download (1 or 2) [Don't Skip]:
      1) Go to the start menu.
      2) Type "Run" and press enter
      3) Then type there "winver" and press enter.
      4) If you see 2004 there, ONLY THEN are you able to download the WSL-2 zip. Otherwise update your Windows or use the WSL-1 zip.

Note to self: Things to do in the future--
      1) Make a GUI of sorts.
      2) Anything else the people want.

Not going to force you or anything, but I would appreciate if you pressed the Thanks button after benefiting from my zip (I see 78 downloads but only 2 thanks...)

Edit: NEW DOWNLOAD LINKS
      https://mega.nz/file/NAxASK4I#2qr4ra4KJAcliEqDuCNQd0GnJeHe4FXpvw3KUfqtKxc [for WSL 1]
      https://mega.nz/file/lE40AKDa#3Qqk6WH04vzYW8wrrcruuOdqpde-KUzYnu0o50tmZzo [for WSL 2]
      WSL-2 Changelogs:
      Version 1:
      Initial Release

Version 2:
      Complete Redesign
      Compressed all my code to 2 very compact Batch files [previously it was 4 Batch files and 5 Powershell files]
      Added Distro Downloaders and Installers (x64 only as of now)
      Made it more stable [the previous method was very hacky and used bypasses]
      Fixed all typos
      Made it more user-friendly

Version 2.1
      Quality of Life improvements

Version 2.2
      Back-Ported the 'more sophisticated' Distro Downloader from WSL-1
      Made Instructions better
      Just have to. Say thanks had this opFeat installed since maybe it was first available in the list and never researched how. To. Use it or. What it really did. Just gotta find out if this will run fine on my surface too (anything except liveOS off usb will work and causes windows to eff up despite grub/4win/stock/grub if it works excites to use kali on there properly}

You're very welcome but I would be happy if the thanks button was pressed ;) Also, it should work fine on any Windows 10 computer [remember I am using a Haswell computer and it still works]. I also have Kali working but it does not support Monitor Mode and Packet Injection just yet [Microsoft does not want to implement this feature due to security concerns]. You can also get a GUI up and running with ONLY kali using Win-Kex [look it up]
      Thanks but any chance of getting clean links that don't require allowing JavaScript before i can access them ?

sure, giving
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone