SD Card Encryption - Any Solution ?

Search This thread
Apr 16, 2018
Hello All,

I have a Galaxy S5 that I must keep encrypted because it is a work phone and my workplace requires that it be encrypted.

I recently tried to add an SD Card (tried 3 different sizes and 3 different brands) and got the dreaded cannot mount cannot encrypt error loop.

I searched the net and found numerous complaints that all seem to point to the Android OS rather than a specific phone. I am using 6.0.1 on my phone.

I did not find any solution posted anywhere.

I am wondering though, has anyone tried to decrypt the phone, unlock the screen, add the sd card, then re-lock the screen, and re-encypt the phone ?

I did not see anyone post anywhere that they tried this.

Any helpful hints appreciated.

Apr 16, 2018
It Is Not Fixed

I have tried every method I have found from searches including ones from later Samsung unit forums and none of them work.
The only thing I have not tried is factory reset because it is a work phone and it will blow away all of the work apps and getting them restored will take weeks.
I cannot even try to decrypt the phone because it is Marshmallow 6.0.1 and decrypt does not work. You have to factory reset the phone to start all over.
I have decided to leave the micro sd card in the phone in the hopes that next OTA update will see it and apply some fix to allow it to work.

This Encyption stuff is really a doomsday. I have an identical phone slightly older but still a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Marshmallow 6.0.1 unencrypted and it takes the micro SD card with no problems and works great.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ENCRYPT YOUR PHONE, JUST DO NOT!!!

The encryption does not really work anyway. If you connect your phone to a pc and enter your password for the lock screen, all of your internal files are visible once you tap file transfer from the notification pull down.
So encryption does nothing beyond the lock screen. If someone can bust your lock screen password, they've got everything.