Question SD Card Issues

Search This thread

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Well just picked up my new A52 5G really enjoyed it at first but now my SD card keeps getting unmounted every time I restart the phone. ( The best part about this is the SD cards are made by Samsung tried 2 different ones both are 128G) (SAMSUNG: EVO Select 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3 100MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128HA)
The typical SD problems Samsung is known for. Asking Samsung for solutions is not very informative. Please any suggestions would be great.
If not I guess I just ditch Samsung A52 5G and go back to the other evil the iPhone. Heck at least every time you turn that on it always works. :)
This sure seems like a great phone but that SD card issue is really a big deal at least for me.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Try formatting card in phone if that doesn't get it try doing a low level format on the PC with a 3rd party app do not use the Windows formatting utility.
    Then format again in phone.
    Load card through phone.

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
    Formatting the SD card was the first thing I did using a Linux PC. (Manjaro OS ) This was always my goto if I have formatting problems. The SD card was done in exFAT, however no luck.

The other option is buy a different brand SD card as mentioned above by "ImGonnaTryScience". (Thanks)
    The card I'm looking at is the
    SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD.
    I'm thinking maybe the Samsung SD cards are to slow, but who knows.
    What doesn't make sense is the Samsung SD cards work everywhere with no issues.
    I even have an old Galaxy Tab 7, Samsung SD cards works great in that. Speaking of my old Tab 7 I tried formatting the SD cards with that and then put them back into the A52 5G. This didn't work either. My thinking was Samsung should like Samsung but my thinking was wrong. (Maybe I should stop thinking.)

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    V30 should be fairly fast from internal memory to SD card less using the C port.
    If you did a low level format then put it in the phone with not data on it, then formatted in the phone again... it should work.

I've had issues like this on my S4, now you see it, now you don't. I had to do a low level format to make it readable even on Windows. May have been a bad card but all sectors were intact.
    May be card brand. Even afterward it would not see the requiring a reboot.

I'm using the Lexar .5tb V30 card in my Note 10+ and unlike what happened on the S4 the 10+ recognized immediately. Formatted it in the phone and zero issues since.

OP I feel you. This is a frustrating issue that really jams a monkey wrench in the cogs.
    I be seeing red.
    Pedal to metal, no brains diagnostic solution; get the Lexar card if the size and speed rating fit your needs.
    $64 and known to work out of the box.

These devices can be damaged by ESD. Careful handling will eliminate the possibility.
    RH>50%
    Touch an earth ground before handling to help neutralize any static charge.
    Don't touch the contacts.
    It's not a ram stick but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
    Well I may have solved my problem. I completely wiped the SD Card using MiniTool Partition Wizard. However I didn't add a partition or any kind of formatting. Once the card and partition was completely wiped I put it back into the A52 5G and let it do its own partitioning and formatting of the SD Card. Everything is working really well no more SD card errors, just hope it holds. ( 12hrs and still working, before that the error would pop every 30 minutes or so.) ( Still using my original SAMSUNG: EVO Select 128GB SD Card)
    I'll update the progress in a few days.

Some reason the wipe of the partition seemed to do the trick. I don't really understand why since like I said the card worked well in everything except the A52. Maybe Samsung changed the format structure compared to there previous tablets and phones. Maybe its even an issue with Android 11 . All formatting in the past was always exFAT however something changed with this phone. I hope this will help out others who may be experiencing the same problem.

Last edited:
    Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Well I may have solved my problem. I completely wiped the SD Card using MiniTool Partition Wizard. However I didn't add a partition or any kind of formatting. Once the card and partition was completely wiped I put it back into the A52 5G and let it do its own partitioning and formatting of the SD Card. Everything is working really well no more SD card errors, just hope it holds. ( 12hrs and still working, before that the error would pop every 30 minutes or so.) ( Still using my original SAMSUNG: EVO Select 128GB SD Card)

Some reason the wipe of the partition seemed to do the trick. I don't really understand why since like I said the card worked well in everything except the A52. Maybe Samsung changed the format structure compared to there previous tablets and phones. Maybe its even an issue with Android 11 . All formatting in the past was always exFAT however something changed with this phone. I hope this will help out others who may be experiencing the same problem.
    It's possible there was some app on it with a secure partition or something.
    It may take or do what one card* did in my S4+, while never lost data it would go through spells of not being recognized by the phone requiring a reboot. No rhythm or reason to it.
    Having to low level format a new card is not a good sign.

Next card get a Lexar, slam it in, format, good to go.

* it wasn't recognized by the phone or Windows. Only the Lexar formatting app could access it. After a low level format it was visible to the phone and Windows.
    Really?

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
    Well I said I would let everyone know the progress. Simple terms FAIL. 👎
    6:00AM this morning the error came back. ( SD Card was removed unsafely )
    So I guess now I'll try the new SD card I mentioned above or the one mentioned above by Blackhawk ( Thanks for the info. )
    (SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD.)
    (Lexar-High-Performance-128GB-microSDXC-UHS)

Last edited:
    • Sad

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Well I said I would let everyone know the progress. Simple terms FAIL. 👎
    6:00AM this morning the error came back. ( SD Card was removed unsafely )
    So I guess now I'll try the new SD card I mentioned above or the one mentioned above by Blackhawk ( Thanks for the info. )
    (SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD.)
    (Lexar-High-Performance-128GB-microSDXC-UHS)

Well .5 tb will be nice to have.
    I hope this works...
    Format in phone.
    I would leave the card in the phone and up/download data via the phone rather than removing the card to do so.

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
    Found another interesting read. Maybe Android 11 is the issue.
    Reading through this post I see the Scandisk Extreme SD card has issues to.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Found another interesting read. Maybe Android 11 is the issue.
    Reading through this post I see the Scandisk Extreme SD card has issues to.
    I have no love for 11 and running on Pie quit happily on my Note 10+.
    Can't say that Lexar card is know good for your phone because it uses a faster and different memory controller as well as the imfamous A-11 OS.
    However before blaming the hardware or firmware I would give the Lexar a shot. It's a nice card to have regardless.

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
    Well I picked up the sd card member Blackhawk was talking about this morning. A Lexar High-Performance 633x 512GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Card. I put the card in fresh out of the package let the A52 format the card about 4 hours later same as before, the fault came back. After reading the post the Blackhawk wrote about his pie made me think I'll try that. Fired up my pie4 and let the pie4 do the format. Well no luck there either within 30 minutes the fault came back. Well now I know its either the A52 or its Android 11. The cards both work really well in all may other devices. However the A52 5G is the only thing running Android 11. Now the question is return the phone or wait for Android 12. :unsure:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Well I picked up the sd card member Blackhawk was talking about this morning. A Lexar High-Performance 633x 512GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Card. I put the card in fresh out of the package let the A52 format the card about 4 hours later same as before, the fault came back. After reading the post the Blackhawk wrote about his pie made me think I'll try that. Fired up my pie4 and let the pie4 do the format. Well no luck there either within 30 minutes the fault came back. Well now I know its either the A52 or its Android 11. The cards both work really well in all may other devices. However the A52 5G is the only thing running Android 11. Now the question is return the phone or wait for Android 12. :unsure:

Sorry to hear that. I meant that Pie as in Android 9. Try the Lexar low level formatting utility if you can find it. Again, format in phone before you use it to be on the safe side.
    It seems it's the phone.
    Try clearing the system cache.
    Doubt check setting and clear data in associated apks. It still may be something not so obviously obvious... Androids wuv being played with.

sparkyslots

Oct 5, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
    Well I finally got the respond for Samsung I was looking for. It's not the SD card but an issue with there firmware. They claim it will be addressed with the next update. I used the Samsung Members App to send them an error report from my device and the response was quite pleasing.
    ( See there response)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-224834_Samsung Members.jpg
      Screenshot_20210514-224834_Samsung Members.jpg
      615.2 KB · Views: 61
    • Screenshot_20210514-225917_Samsung Members.jpg
      Screenshot_20210514-225917_Samsung Members.jpg
      294.1 KB · Views: 61

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Congratulations, you're a remote Samsung beta tester!🤣
    Just sloppy and unprofessional on Samsung's part and no fix... yet.
    Eventually they'll get it but it should have never made it out for retail sale like that🧐

Personally I'd consider asking for a full refund as without a working SD card slot the phone becomes a liability for me... as if this little ride hasn't already. That used 10+ is looking more tempting to me.

Wow. Well done👍

shamaike

May 21, 2021
    Hi another issue with SD. When I have tried to make a backup on the an SD card via the setting app it stuck after 85% and the result of it I got an SD with "write protection" which I can't change not via DOS not with other 3rd party tools. by the way its working on Samsung tablet including format and copy files but when I put is back to my mobile or try to check it on PC to delete the portion or make any change it still same issue "write protection". Would appreciate any idea before I put it to garbage. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well I finally got the respond for Samsung I was looking for. It's not the SD card but an issue with there firmware. They claim it will be addressed with the next update. I used the Samsung Members App to send them an error report from my device and the response was quite pleasing.
      ( See there response)