Question SD card slot

Search This thread

Youdoofus

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
So, Sammy did this same erroneous move on the S6 and now again on the S21, no sd card slot. I know any replies are speculative at best, but do we suppose that theyre gonna bring it back on the 22? they cited the exact same bs reason on the S6 "storage will be in the cloud" as this time. I guess my real question is anyone really missing the sd card slot and any speculations of Sammy bringing it back on the 22?

Reactions: blackhawk

C0derbear

Nov 6, 2012
I sincerely doubt it'll come back, their most direct competitor (Apple) hasn't supported secondary storage ever so the general public doesn't seem to care.

I have an S21+ and I made sure to get one with 256 GB storage - I reviewed how much local storage I used on my S*+ SD card and "only" had about 100GB on a device with only 64GB internal storage. So, I figure 256 should be okay long term.

The only class of data I haven't pulled across from my SD card was the local photo albums, but they were only a few GB. I may yet refresh that but the days of "here look at my pics" and not having enough data network or wifi for Google Photos to function well are long behind me.

Now, the offline mapping data and offline music storage - that's the bulk of my data, and the ~ 100 GB usage leaves plenty of space left for apps and OS updates and such, for me.

If your uses include numerous large apps (e.g. games) and much more content then you'd need the 512GB variant to be safe, IMO.

william58

Mar 31, 2011
Tacoma
www.moskovita-photography.com
So, Sammy did this same erroneous move on the S6 and now again on the S21, no sd card slot. I know any replies are speculative at best, but do we suppose that theyre gonna bring it back on the 22? they cited the exact same bs reason on the S6 "storage will be in the cloud" as this time. I guess my real question is anyone really missing the sd card slot and any speculations of Sammy bringing it back on the 22?
I almost didn't buy my S21+ 5G because of no SD card slot.
My S9+ had the SD card slot and I miss it.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Screw samsung. No slot, no sale.
    Between that and Android 11/12 and their Apple lust, the next release looks like it will be more dog meat. I'll get a used Note 10+ 512gb running on Pie, remain happy and save money.
    Ain't nothing to me...

The Note 20 U is the other option but it's price for now is too high. If it doesn't have a huge square cornered display, I don't want to look at it.
    The round corner displays looked horrible. Samsung will probably screw up there too.

Last edited:

Hurricane Andrew

May 25, 2009
    Magnolia, DE
    I honestly don't miss it. I thought I would, so I opted for the 256GB model and even that still appears to be overkill at this point. I get that there are certainly use cases where it would be critical for some people, but Samsung isn't targeting those folks.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I honestly don't miss it. I thought I would, so I opted for the 256GB model and even that still appears to be overkill at this point. I get that there are certainly use cases where it would be critical for some people, but Samsung isn't targeting those folks.
    You use the SD card as a data drive.
    Yes... a dual drive hand held computer.
    Even my laptop is set up like this.
    Only the OS, apps and downloads go on the internal memory. The data is more secure on a separate drive.

I can do a factory reset without losing data and no internet connection. No hours of reloading data.
    Even my app copies are stored there, no Playstore needed.
    A full reload on my stock phone takes me about 2 hours to fully restore.

Reactions: moSess

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      You use the SD card as a data drive.
      Yes... a dual drive hand held computer.
      Even my laptop is set up like this.
      Only the OS, apps and downloads go on the internal memory. The data is more secure on a separate drive.

I can do a factory reset without losing data and no internet connection. No hours of reloading data.
      Even my app copies are stored there, no Playstore needed.
      A full reload on my stock phone takes me about 2 hours to fully restore.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone