SDK Emulator or Android x86

Search This thread

CurlySpiral

Jun 26, 2012
I will be honest, I'm not an Android developer - at least not yet. That said, I'm looking for an environment to performance test apps. More or less, looking for a sandbox to test apps with. For this, it doesn't really make sense to use a real device. So I'm debating between the SDK emulator and using Android x86 in a virtual machine. Each seems to have strengths and weaknesses.

I think the main advantage of the SDK emulator over Android-x86 is that it can be used to test apps for different AVDs very easily. Plus, it natively supports NDK ARM code and can be used with x86 code with version 17 (right?). The downside, is that it is painfully slow.

On the otherhand, Android-x86 has much better performance itself, but currently (maybe not for too much longer) lacks support for ARM-specific code.

Another option is BlueStacks, but I haven't looked into it much yet and am not sure how well it will suit my goals.

I was hoping to get a little survey of opinions regarding the two from developers and folks more familiar with Android than myself.

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
I will be honest, I'm not an Android developer - at least not yet. That said, I'm looking for an environment to performance test apps. More or less, looking for a sandbox to test apps with. For this, it doesn't really make sense to use a real device. So I'm debating between the SDK emulator and using Android x86 in a virtual machine. Each seems to have strengths and weaknesses.

I think the main advantage of the SDK emulator over Android-x86 is that it can be used to test apps for different AVDs very easily. Plus, it natively supports NDK ARM code and can be used with x86 code with version 17 (right?). The downside, is that it is painfully slow.

On the otherhand, Android-x86 has much better performance itself, but currently (maybe not for too much longer) lacks support for ARM-specific code.

Another option is BlueStacks, but I haven't looked into it much yet and am not sure how well it will suit my goals.

I was hoping to get a little survey of opinions regarding the two from developers and folks more familiar with Android than myself.

I always use the sdk emulator OK its a little on the slow side but quickly let's you test apps on a range of set ups. Plus having it integrated with eclipse makes the process even quicker

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium