Secret apps list found in Home menus!

Search This thread

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
After I used terminal emulator with the pm disable function to disable both Gamecircle apps,Amazon Video,Photos (screensaver usage),and the Amazon AppStore,and resetting with ctrl+alt+del,I found a nice little surprise in the apps tab on the Home screen.
When I went to the Apps section,the list of all my installed apps appeared on the right!
When selecting them,they open immediately,but I can't long press to view the details of an app.
However,since they are still in the settings menu as well,I can still view the details from there.

The only issue with it is that it is a little buggy with scrolling through apps. :(

You can figure out the com-names using 7zipper 2.0 to view the advanced "details" of your apps.
To get the names to disable the same apps I did, change 7zipper's app list to system mode.

Info for people who really hate resource hogs:KFTV Launcher is currently using 80.59MB according to memory booster!
It probably has something to do with each menu selection loading dozens of images and information and sub-apps that seem to have no individual apps for selecting to disable.
So rbox,when you feel the Home Menu MOD is stable enough,please let me know when you release it for xposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: to0 and Kramar111

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
After I used terminal emulator with the pm disable function to disable both Gamecircle apps,Amazon Video,Photos (screensaver usage),and the Amazon AppStore,and resetting with ctrl+alt+del,I found a nice little surprise in the apps tab on the Home screen.
When I went to the Apps section,the list of all my installed apps appeared on the right!
When selecting them,they open immediately,but I can't long press to view the details of an app.
However,since they are still in the settings menu as well,I can still view the details from there.

The only issue with it is that it is a little buggy with scrolling through apps. :(

You can figure out the com-names using 7zipper 2.0 to view the advanced "details" of your apps.
To get the names to disable the same apps I did, change 7zipper's app list to system mode.

Info for people who really hate resource hogs:KFTV Launcher is currently using 80.59MB according to memory booster!
It probably has something to do with each menu selection loading dozens of images and information and sub-apps that seem to have no individual apps for selecting to disable.
So rbox,when you feel the Home Menu MOD is stable enough,please let me know when you release it for xposed.

This has been known for some time. I think you found the secret that I hadn't been able to figure out; I bet it was disabling the Amazon Appstore. From what I remember, the initial reports were that sideloading the Appstore from Android caused this to happen. The code I haven't been able to find yet, must check for the Appstore and it's not there or the wrong one, it falls back to this grid view. At one point I was working on a mod that exposed (get it... cuz I use Xposed... haha) a similar, but less buggy grid. I may go back to working on that.

As for the menu mod, I just got the UI done for selecting which items should be visible, and I'm just working on the saving/loading of the preferences and getting the menu to reload after it's been changed.

cybertlc

Dec 25, 2010
Does disabling Photos and Gamecircle break Netflix as well? What are the package names for those 2?

Last edited:

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Or if you already have 7Zipper 2.0,you can view the names in the applications section in the details option via longpressing an app.

7Zipper 2.0 is the only well-known app that can extract 7z files on Android.

roligov

Dec 29, 2012
London
That's time consuming to do it for every app...Package Viewer does only what it says, shows you the com.xxxx.xxx name for installed packages.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Press enter after every part.

1a. adb shell
1b. Press Enter
2a. su
2b. Press Enter
3a. pm disable name.of.app (some begin with org instead of com)
3b. Obviously press Enter,unless you changed your mind.

cybertlc

Dec 25, 2010
Does anyone have a list of what can safely be disabled without interfering with other features/apps/functions? I want to keep my Netflix/Pandora fully functional (but could care less about games).

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I find that Fire TV is actually not that bad about bloating apps when compared to the GS7 that got replaced by it.
The Sony NSZ-GS7 has some bloat apps like the TTS and most of the other ones I can't remember because none of them are on Fire TV.

Kernel Tuner:
I found out that the best performance governor for CPU is the Interactive governor.
And for I/O Schedular,the deadline mode is the fastest one.

Jugstah

Mar 19, 2010
This failed the wife acceptance test as it also causes issues with (but does not totally break) Pandora.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This has been known for some time. I think you found the secret that I hadn't been able to figure out; I bet it was disabling the Amazon Appstore. From what I remember, the initial reports were that sideloading the Appstore from Android caused this to happen. The code I haven't been able to find yet, must check for the Appstore and it's not there or the wrong one, it falls back to this grid view. At one point I was working on a mod that exposed (get it... cuz I use Xposed... haha) a similar, but less buggy grid. I may go back to working on that.

As for the menu mod, I just got the UI done for selecting which items should be visible, and I'm just working on the saving/loading of the preferences and getting the menu to reload after it's been changed.

We'll I did not type that.what is the correct way of typing it out adb shell su com.amazon.avod

1. adb shell
    2. su
    3. pm disable com.amazon.avod