Section Guidelines -- READ THIS FIRST

Search This thread

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
This area is currently experimental and was set up by the XDA Administrators for development discussion. The idea in this section is for developers (not only recognized developers, but all developers) to have a place for discussion threads to "talk shop." What kind of talk? Some topics (that I'm making up as I type this) might include (and are certainly not limited to):
  • Overriding the power widget in the notification dropdown
  • Considerations of using gcc versions other than 4.4.3 for compiling the kernel
  • Exynos: discussion on working around the SOC wake from sleep delay
This isn't a Q&A forum. However, developers might kick off discussions with a question. The difference? This belongs in Q&A: "My phone wakes up slow, will it go faster if I take my sdcard out?" On the other hand, the following might belong in this new section: "Has anyone tried adjusting the mmc detection timeouts to see if there's an impact on the SOC wakeup delays?" The assumption here is that the person asking the latter question actually knows what a mmc detection timeout is, how they'd change it, and has started to play around with it before posting the question.

As well, this section is not for posting finished products or "advertising" of kernels, apps, etc. This section is to discuss the process, not for the end result.

The hope (at least my own hope) is that developers can discuss things here instead of resorting the various other methods of communication we've used. At the same time, newer developers and even non-developers can LEARN from the conversations and eventually participate.

Depending on the reception (and difficulty moderating, probably) this experiment will either be expanded for other device types, completely shut down as a failure, or adjusted. Obviously, if we developers don't use it, it might be considered a waste of time and dissolved.

This section will be very closely moderated by moderators who are also developers and non-development discussion will be harshly dealt with.

I REALLY hope this will encourage more devs to spend time with open communication. This is XDA-Developers. Let's do development.

Edit (Jan 8th, 2013):

Clarifying "finished products" above: The threads in this section will likely spawn off or involve distinct programs/kernels/firmwares , and once a distinct product results, a separate thread
outside of this section should be created for supporting that distinct product. A link to that thread is welcome in the source thread here, but this section shouldn't be used to contain support or release posts.

Take care
Gary

Last edited:

toxicthunder

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
Thanks a lot for this. Had requested this for N7000 forums, but oh well :)

But I still feel we could benefit from such a thread there as well..

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Had requested this for N7000 forums...
...still feel we could benefit from such a thread there as well..
The N7000 is very similar to the N7100 - just lacking a pair of cores, but still the same processor arch and I think the n7000 is getting JB with the same TW layer as the n7100, isn't it?

It seems to be that most of "note II" dev level discussion would be very similar to the original note (as well as the SGS3) so I wouldn't complain if it was done here. Of course, the real moderators might disagree with me, so it might help if Someone Important would chime in.

Take care
Gary

Reactions: gorillaz28

toxicthunder

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
The N7000 is very similar to the N7100 - just lacking a pair of cores, but still the same processor arch and I think the n7000 is getting JB with the same TW layer as the n7100, isn't it?

It seems to be that most of "note II" dev level discussion would be very similar to the original note (as well as the SGS3) so I wouldn't complain if it was done here. Of course, the real moderators might disagree with me, so it might help if Someone Important would chime in.

Take care
Gary
doesnt matter. We keep moving across both forums anyways. :)

Last edited:

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011

Take care
Gary
Actually they're still quite different to each other on the low hardware level even if they use the same IP blocks on the SoC, the SoC itself is basically built anew from what I understand. The non-existent 4212 is what you're describing there.

If you would have categorized these development forums I would have rather have them grouped on a per platform basis, and in that regard, as you know with my work, they are basically identical as they're based on this same "Midas" platform. This includes the S3 and all its variants, the Note 2 and all its variants, and the Galaxy Camera.

Last edited:

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
If you would have categorized these development forums I would have rather have them grouped on a per platform basis, and in that regard, as you know with my work, they are basically identical as they're based on this same "Midas" platform. This includes the S3 and all its variants, the Note 2 and all its variants, and the Galaxy Camera.
I agree on some of the SGS3 variants, but NOT the qualcomm variants of the SGS3. The sgs3 (exynos) also has a very similar version of TW as well now. I have no idea about the camera...

There's a chance that the i9300 device might eventually link to here... Keep in mind that it's still an experimental section, and while there's no leeway for non-dev posts, there's surely of leeway for non-Note II dev stuff (at least when it's similar to the Note2)

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Added to the OP:

Clarifying "finished products" above: The threads in this section will likely spawn off or involve distinct programs/kernels/firmwares , and once a distinct product results, a separate thread outside of this section should be created for supporting that distinct product. A link to that thread is welcome in the source thread here, but this section shouldn't be used to contain support or release posts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This area is currently experimental and was set up by the XDA Administrators for development discussion. The idea in this section is for developers (not only recognized developers, but all developers) to have a place for discussion threads to "talk shop." What kind of talk? Some topics (that I'm making up as I type this) might include (and are certainly not limited to):
    • Overriding the power widget in the notification dropdown
    • Considerations of using gcc versions other than 4.4.3 for compiling the kernel
    • Exynos: discussion on working around the SOC wake from sleep delay
    This isn't a Q&A forum. However, developers might kick off discussions with a question. The difference? This belongs in Q&A: "My phone wakes up slow, will it go faster if I take my sdcard out?" On the other hand, the following might belong in this new section: "Has anyone tried adjusting the mmc detection timeouts to see if there's an impact on the SOC wakeup delays?" The assumption here is that the person asking the latter question actually knows what a mmc detection timeout is, how they'd change it, and has started to play around with it before posting the question.

As well, this section is not for posting finished products or "advertising" of kernels, apps, etc. This section is to discuss the process, not for the end result.

The hope (at least my own hope) is that developers can discuss things here instead of resorting the various other methods of communication we've used. At the same time, newer developers and even non-developers can LEARN from the conversations and eventually participate.

Depending on the reception (and difficulty moderating, probably) this experiment will either be expanded for other device types, completely shut down as a failure, or adjusted. Obviously, if we developers don't use it, it might be considered a waste of time and dissolved.

This section will be very closely moderated by moderators who are also developers and non-development discussion will be harshly dealt with.

I REALLY hope this will encourage more devs to spend time with open communication. This is XDA-Developers. Let's do development.

Edit (Jan 8th, 2013):

Clarifying "finished products" above: The threads in this section will likely spawn off or involve distinct programs/kernels/firmwares , and once a distinct product results, a separate thread
    outside of this section should be created for supporting that distinct product. A link to that thread is welcome in the source thread here, but this section shouldn't be used to contain support or release posts.

Take care
    Gary
    Had requested this for N7000 forums...
    ...still feel we could benefit from such a thread there as well..

Take care
    Gary