Secure Startup

Search This thread

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
Anyone notice this feature missing? I always encrypt the phone to require a pin on startup and I'm pissed off that they removed this feature. This might be a deal breaker for me. It's definitely not in settings but it is on my Note 9.

craigels

Jul 29, 2012
limerick
Anyone notice this feature missing? I always encrypt the phone to require a pin on startup and I'm pissed off that they removed this feature. This might be a deal breaker for me. It's definitely not in settings but it is on my Note 9.

I use this feature in my note 9 too. Its not a deal breaker for me to strange that it would no longer be there

kbboykin

Aug 17, 2008
Nokesville, VA
I use this feature in my note 9 too. Its not a deal breaker for me to strange that it would no longer be there

Are you referring to the lock screen Screen Lock Type. On my note 9, every time I start up, screen times out, I use a pin to sign back on. I see that on my Note 10. If this is not what you mean direct me to what you are talking about on the Note 9, I still have my Note 9. Used the Note 8 to trade-in for the Note 10.

craigels

Jul 29, 2012
limerick
Are you referring to the lock screen Screen Lock Type. On my note 9, every time I start up, screen times out, I use a pin to sign back on. I see that on my Note 10. If this is not what you mean direct me to what you are talking about on the Note 9, I still have my Note 9. Used the Note 8 to trade-in for the Note 10.
It's called secure start up under biometrics and security

rsacipher

Jan 22, 2006
Washington DC
I know exactly what you are talking about: that option is still there on Note10
I think that's different than what you could do with the Note 9.
Android has requires you to enter your pin when you restart instead of biometrics.

What seems to be missing is the pin at restart before the file system loads.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009

That is definitely not the same thing. The Secure Start encrypts the phone at the boot level. This allows the phone to boot to the lockscreen before requiring a pin code. Not even close to what my Note 9 does.

Reactions: mmrizmy

rsacipher

Jan 22, 2006
Washington DC
It's not missing they just changed it... Your phone is completely encrypted until you enter you chosen security.. that's why face and fingerprint don't work on the first sign in
The more reading I've done on this is so if you rebooted you could receive calls even if you didn't unlock the phone.
Before with secure startup you are stuck pre OS boot until you enter the password.

My only concern is if the OS is loaded even if it's encrypted could it be forensiclly bypassed easier?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

nique0201

Dec 21, 2008
Cleveland
www.facebook.com
The more reading I've done on this is so if you rebooted you could receive calls even if you didn't unlock the phone.
Before with secure startup you are stuck pre OS boot until you enter the password.

My only concern is if the OS is loaded even if it's encrypted could it be forensiclly bypassed easier?

Yeah that's when it was secure startup... Supposedly the is is fully encrypted when it's locked with this version of Android and on... But there's a option called "strong protection" which adds the benefit of not allowing biometrics on initial startup so someone can't kill u turn it on and use your fingerprints or the cops can't force a bio scan or emulate ur face. It also periodically goes into this mode after a few unlocks. It's been like this since the S10/+ and they shipped with the newest Android versions... The only way to get a screen before boot now is to do simcard lock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That is definitely not the same thing. The Secure Start encrypts the phone at the boot level. This allows the phone to boot to the lockscreen before requiring a pin code. Not even close to what my Note 9 does.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone