[SECURITY] Android Security for Conscious Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
What are your guys thoughts on Naked browser?

- Developer is obsessed with security and privacy, has had rough encounters with XDA mods for aggressively criticizing other invasive / spyware browsers -- with proper information and arguments, though, in my opinion. ( He raised hell about Dolphin for instance, and yet Dolphin developers can do or say anything they want in XDA and he can't... )

- Interface ( or the total lack of ) is clunky and uncomfortable -- personal opinion. It also means full resources are devoted to browsing, makes it fast.

- It is using Android's WebView ( currently broken ) so any issues can't be resolved ( cookie management or private browsing for instance ) until Google pleases to update the system... Which may break it even more, given history so far.

Last edited:

Hedied4me

Sep 21, 2012
Lost Angeles
- Developer is obsessed with security and privacy, has had rough encounters with XDA mods for aggressively criticizing other invasive / spyware browsers -- with proper information and arguments, though, in my opinion.
- Interface ( or the total lack of ) is clunky and uncomfortable -- personal opinion. It also means full resources are devoted to browsing, makes it fast.
- It is using Android's WebView ( currently broken ) so any issues can't be resolved ( cookie management or private browsing for instance ) until Google pleases to update the system... Which may break it even more, given history so far.
Oh ok thanks. I personally like the interface and deal with the fact that certain websites don't work on it. But sercurity wise it seems ok to me. However I'm no expert. Plus its speedy

Sent from my cdma Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 601 zara_cl

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Oh ok thanks. I personally like the interface and deal with the fact that certain websites don't work on it. But sercurity wise it seems ok to me. However I'm no expert. Plus its speedy

Atlas and Naked are probably the two cleanest WebView browsers ( privacy-wise ) on Android today, no worries about that. Regardless of interface, they'd be much better browsers with their own engine, fixing Google's crap. Ah, well.

Edit : Tint is just as clean, but even more broken, after almost a year they still haven't fixed file upload though they've been told, so right now it can't be used.

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
- Developer is obsessed with security and privacy, has had rough encounters with XDA mods for aggressively criticizing other invasive / spyware browsers -- with proper information and arguments, though, in my opinion. ( He raised hell about Dolphin for instance, and yet Dolphin developers can do or say anything they want in XDA and he can't... )

Could you send me a PM and let me know about this please? This isn't something that will be tolerated on XDA - privacy is a big concern, and there are not double standards around browsers, let's be clear on that. In fact, some browsers are vehemently disgusting in terms of their practices in looking after user data.

If you can give me any info on the matter, I would much appreciate it, so I can look into this, as this is something I take very seriously indeed.

P

sancho_panzer

Jul 11, 2014
@Ultramanoid some days ago you recommended Habit Browser and I didn't know that was completely remade from scratch. I really didn't liked the previous version but this one is absolutely amazing. It's a shame it as Admob and analytical data being sent to some Korean IP (already blocked on my devices but still...).

@pulser_g2 did you ever tried the above mentioned browser?

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
@Ultramanoid some days ago you recommended Habit Browser and I didn't know that was completely remade from scratch. I really didn't liked the previous version but this one is absolutely amazing. It's a shame it as Admob and analytical data being sent to some Korean IP (already blocked on my devices but still...).

Yes, it was completely rewritten and the old version renamed 'classic' is still available. The customization options, both for interface and functionality are unrivaled, even comparing with 'desktop browsers'...

Shame indeed about the AdMob bundle ( I think it has Nend too, a Japanese equivalent ), I don't fear any foul intention from the developer otherwise. I haven't bought the paid version to see if that code is removed, and since they seem to be perfectly content with using WebView, I am afraid I probably won't, but I keep an eye on it just in case.

Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本

For anyone interested in this issue and to see what this developer had to say about all those browsers ( Boat, Dolphin, Maxthon, UC, etc... ), just run a search for aminaked's posts here in XDA, that's his username.

Rather blunt posts, but I don't think he was wrong.

Could you send me a PM and let me know about this please? This isn't something that will be tolerated on XDA - privacy is a big concern, and there are not double standards around browsers, let's be clear on that. In fact, some browsers are vehemently disgusting in terms of their practices in looking after user data.

If you can give me any info on the matter, I would much appreciate it, so I can look into this, as this is something I take very seriously indeed.

P

PM sent, and added the comment above for anyone who might be interested.

Last edited:

sancho_panzer

Jul 11, 2014
@pulser_g2 , @Ultramanoid
I think @aminaked is a victim of cultural and misunderstood straightforwardness. Many people around Xda, users and mods, are always forgetting there are people posting from around the globe, with different visions and trying hard to explain subjects on a foreign language (I myself I'm not that good in English). Latins in general are very direct and lose patience easily, Germans too but they limit their arguments to subject, Japanese guys are always running from police :rolleyes: (sorry @Ultramanoid you're marked forever, he, he)...

I don't know @aminaked but being a dev here on Xda it's really tough, many of them lost their patience and gone. Some people only think about themselves and demand solutions to their problems and desires, mainly free and "at this moment". But there's also brilliant people unfairly quieted by moderators leaving to alternative forums. It's a shame and waste for all community.

I guess @aminaked was fed up with rants, ignorance and bad criticism. Another "recognised-developer-by-followers-but-not-by-Xda" that leaves, unfortunately:

They may delete this message and I may be banned again.

The freedom to discuss what this is about is absent, so my participation on xda is done.

Contact me via all other avenues. Naked Browser lives.

Excelsior! :good:

--Tony

Reactions: Hedied4me

polonordo

Nov 1, 2011
Hi everyone. I recently started to develop the desire to get away from Google but I wanted to keep using my android phone. I can't believe I found this thread :-}

What I wanted to do was something effective but also something that didn't involve modding and rooting. (It's just not for me)
I own a Galaxy Nexus running 4.3, never rooted and never installed any custom rom or recovery. We can call it fully stock.

I was thinking about doing a full wipe and than start using the device without entering the Google account.
Unfortunately I don't know if this will really make me invisible for Google or they will still have a way of tracking me.

(If you don't understand my English, please let me know, I'll try to explain better. I really need an answer )

sancho_panzer

Jul 11, 2014
Hi everyone. I recently started to develop the desire to get away from Google but I wanted to keep using my android phone. I can't believe I found this thread :-}
Great to know. Welcome and please spread the word.
What I wanted to do was something effective but also something that didn't involve modding and rooting. (It's just not for me)
I own a Galaxy Nexus running 4.3, never rooted and never installed any custom rom or recovery. We can call it fully stock.
Rooting your phone isn't difficult, you should consider it so you could enjoy your phone full potential. It's your device, you can do whatever you decide to.
I was thinking about doing a full wipe and than start using the device without entering the Google account.
Unfortunately I don't know if this will really make me invisible for Google or they will still have a way of tracking me.

(If you don't understand my English, please let me know, I'll try to explain better. I really need an answer )
There are thousands of webpages debating about the virtues of rooting vs exploit dangers. One thing I can assure you, you'll be much more secure by rooting your device if you know what you're doing. Xda it's the right place and you'll find many people willing to help you.

If you choose not to root then you'll be limited to the official ROM, with all the garbage, trackers, listeners and whatever your phone maker and Google decided to put inside, late updates and lousy support (if any). You may not enter the Google account but your phone will still be traceable, well your operator is always tracking you unless you're using a disposable/prepaid phone/card, but each time you connect to Web big G is watching you. You can't rely on gapps or their framework, you can't know what Packets they're receiving from your phone, you lose control completely.

Besides that you'll lose Play Store access, you'll never be able to sync your calendars and contacts to whatever you want (you'll lose Google services so you're limited to your computer and few bad solutions), you can't use any Google app from the system and you can't remove it either, and the list continues...

So, in the end you'll turn your smartphone on a simple phone with Web access and some games. Reminds me my old Nokias ;)

My advice is you should root your phone for privacy and security reasons but above all for your pleasure. If not, keep using Google so you can use your smartphone as intended.

Believe me, some years ago I had same dilemma but after all this time I only regret not having decided soon. Take a deep breath and go for it, you'll never look back again.

Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本

I don't know how kind the Samsung crowd is in XDA these days, but you can check the sub-forum and threads for your device for good information. Being a Nexus at least, you will always have better support for security and personalization than with other kind of devices.

Rooting and applying changes can be a bit of work, but it is usually absolutely worth it as the previous post explains.

I would recommend to read a bit over those threads to get an idea of what people do and why they do it, and also what are the usual problems.

If you decide to root the device, a good custom ROM with the latest security patches and optimizations would be highly recommended ( CyanogenMod, Omni, etc ).

Take it easy, feel free to ask in detail about things.

Habit Browser... analytical data being sent to some Korean IP...

I'd bet anything this is a Korean media company working with Japanese partners ( there are many, mostly anime, manga and game products ) data mining for device specs, carrier info, demographics... Not as worrisome as someone trying to get your financial data or personal photos, but still bad.

Plus their ads are irritatingly cute. They must be stopped. :eek:

Reactions: sancho_panzer

sancho_panzer

Jul 11, 2014
I'd bet anything this is a Korean media company working with Japanese partners ( there are many, mostly anime, manga and game products ) data mining for device specs, carrier info, demographics... Not as worrisome as someone trying to get your financial data or personal photos, but still bad.

Plus their ads are irritatingly cute. They must be stopped. :eek:
Maybe but I liked the fact they informed yesterday about crash reporting on the latest v1.1.28B release. Don't like to be reported at will but at least they told us. Anyway, the following IP range is already blocked on AFWall and those "irritatingly cute" ads won't pass on AdAway.

Edit: I forgot to mention how AWFUL is the new icon, one of the most kitsch I ever saw on my devices. The old one wasn't great either but much better than this Barbie thingy.

== AFWall IPtables rules ==

# Habit Browser - Korea, Amazon and Softbank Japan -
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "14.0.42.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "14.0.43.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "14.0.44.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "14.0.45.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "54.64.0.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "54.248.0.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "54.249.0.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "54.250.0.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit
$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "210.168.30.0/24" -j "afwall-reject" || exit

== AdAway blacklist ==

127.0.0.1 sh.zucks.net
127.0.0.1 spap.adingo.jp.eimg.jp
127.0.0.1 j.zucks.net.zimg.jp
127.0.0.1 static.zucks.net.zimg.jp
127.0.0.1 a.cosmi.io
127.0.0.1 k.zucks.net

Last edited:

polonordo

Nov 1, 2011
Thank you for the answer guys. The reason I don't want to get into rooting and flashing is not that I'm afraid that something will break or the system will become vulnerable. It's just that when it comes to computer work (in any form) I'm pretty lazy :(.
I just don't have the time to sit there and research what is the best way to root, the best rom for privacy, the best kernel, and what to flash after you have all that to additionaly improve your privacy.
If you say that factory restoring my Galaxy nexus and start using it without Google account would be nearly useless because Google has other ways to track you , I might just buy a Blackphone (is it any good for privacy as WE intend it??) or go back to my old Nokia N8 and relax knowing that the old Nokia could be trusted.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Thank you for the answer guys. The reason I don't want to get into rooting and flashing is not that I'm afraid that something will break or the system will become vulnerable. It's just that when it comes to computer work (in any form) I'm pretty lazy :(.
I just don't have the time to sit there and research what is the best way to root, the best rom for privacy, the best kernel, and what to flash after you have all that to additionaly improve your privacy.
If you say that factory restoring my Galaxy nexus and start using it without Google account would be nearly useless because Google has other ways to track you , I might just buy a Blackphone (is it any good for privacy as WE intend it??) or go back to my old Nokia N8 and relax knowing that the old Nokia could be trusted.

Well, you're answering your own question right there, really.

If you can't devote time to do those things, no one else will do them for you, so that's that.

Not using Google products means Google will have less information about you. Doesn't stop them from putting you in a map with one of their satellites, or show you walking down the street on Street View. Or get info about you when scanning mailboxes of anyone with a GMail account that ever received a message from you in the past.

The point being, absolute privacy as of today means absolute isolation. Otherwise, find a compromise you can agree with.

A Blackphone does come with some things secured, so you don't have to do those things yourself, bur it also means you have less functionality compared to a normal device. See the reviews, for instance the recent one at Ars Technica.

Edit : If you don't want to use Google services and are thinking of a new device, why not try Apple's iPhone or a Windows Phone device ? I won't go as far as to recommend a Blackberry these days. Like the previous post said, without Google products but also no rooting or personalization, an Android device makes for a very poor experience, to be honest.

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
i thought i read somewhere that to use a blackphone , the receiver of the call also had to have a blackphone. (?)

err on the side of kindness

polonordo

Nov 1, 2011
Edit : If you don't want to use Google services and are thinking of a new device, why not try Apple's iPhone or a Windows Phone device ? I won't go as far as to recommend a Blackberry these days. Like the previous post said, without Google products but also no rooting or personalization, an Android device makes for a very poor experience, to be honest.

Do you mean get an iPhone or a Windows Phone and starts using it as it was intended to be used? Logging in with the apple/Microsoft account, and use all their services?

What's the difference between Microsoft, Google and Apple? Just the name. They all are in the same business. They provide you with a device that you carry with you all the time, so you can fill their servers with a report of your life. They all want to know: who you are, what you like, what you do, where you go, what you think, what you will do, and so on.

About RIM : I know that privacy has been their goal since they started making phones, and their devices were used by all presidents and other people who wanted a high level of privacy. The problem is that I don't know what path they have taken with blackberry 10.... I don't know if they became a data mining company like Microsoft and Google or they stayed old school.

Reactions: traceless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    == THREAD PURPOSE ==

I'm opening this thread to share and learn ideas about privacy solutions, please respect the purpose and keep this thread clean. My main language isn't English so if you spot errors or omissions please PM to me so I can correct them. Thank you.

All trolling or demotivating posts, disbelieving about privacy concerns or defending Google honor will be reported for cleaning.

== PROBLEM, HYPOTHESIS, TESTS, CONCLUSION ==

For years I've been very annoyed about privacy abuse on Internet and since Snowden and Assange revelations my concerns raised. I'm sure my personal and professional life is common and boring but I want privacy with my things just like I don't want a guy next table in the coffee shop listening to my talking subjects.

My first decision was to deploy a personal server, in my home, with OwnCloud. All went fine for some months until I realized the pain it was maintaining the system working, from server attacks and system fails to energy bills nothing could justify such paranoia. The OwnCloud Android client was also very bad those days.

The second idea was hosting OwnCloud and mail services on a private host, but this didn't made any sense because data wasn't encrypted and every employee could easily see my thermonuclear projects and my banana pancakes secret recipes. It was also a paid solution for nothing.

Finally I thought "If you're using German services you should be fine, Germany privacy data laws are the toughest in the world (even better than Swiss in this matter)". I'm in Europe so using European services was a no brainier decision, preferably in Germany and owned by German companies. Yes, I know you can't trust anyone but even so I think it's a well balanced solution.

== SERVICES ==

These are my services right now, share yours and try to justify why they're equal or even better. This list will be changed as needed:

Mail - GMX (Germany)
    - Generally I really don't like 1&1 services but GMX is really good and working only on European servers. I advise you to don't use their other service, mail.com, because this one use USA servers. Unfortunately all other free German providers have low storage space. If you're willing to pay for privacy try Dutch StartMail but it's beta at the moment.

Contacts & calendar - fruux (Germany)
    - Amazing services, great philosophy. For privacy and decentralization purposes I've opt for don't have this services on my mail provider. Unfortunately their servers are on Amazon Ireland, but I believe fruux have implemented cryptographic code on their system.

Cloud - HiDrive (Germany)
    - I NEVER upload sensitive information to the cloud, even encrypted (remember Heartbleed and AES backdoor theory?). I was using Wuala for years but gave up after have been acquired by LaCie (USA). Tresorit shouldn't be trusted either, they're using Microsoft Azure servers, each uploaded and shared link pass through USA. Mega is darkness, I don't like the smell of it.

Apps - F-Droid (UK/France)
    - FOSS is the way you should go, F-Droid is the obvious choice. F-Droid client was forked from Aptoide's source code.

Aptoide (Portugal) it's good but not consensual. Recently they're processing Google with Antitrust Complaint in EU proving they're concerned. You can only trust Aptoide IF you choose to install apps from their main centralized store (the default one, be ware and don't trust any other user store). http://m.aptoide.com/about

If you can't find what you're looking for then you can use Blank Store or Opera Mobile Store. Never choose Amazon Appstore, apps installed from there have proprietary code inserted.

Search engines - DuckDuckGo (USA!)
    - Technically DuckDuckGo is a meta-search engine. It's amazingly good and you have lots of options to choose (did you know you can directly search images from Google if you search !gi [image you're searching for]?).

Another great alternative is Startpage (Netherlands).

== ANDROID SYSTEM ==

My Android system:

- CyanogenMod + freecyngn + NOGAPPS + SuperSU
    - TWRP recovery
    - Hardening Android for Security and Privacy

== APPS ==

My essential apps are:

Apps client - F-Droid (FOSS)
    - See services above.

Privacy and cleaning - AdAway and AFWall+ (both OSS)
    - Obvious choices on each privacy concerned system. Block almost everything, trust no one.

Android browser - Boat (proprietary code)
    - I just love the options, specs, interface and speed. I know this choice will be highly controversial for some because it's a Chinese made browser, but isn't a cloud browser (like the also Chinese Maxthon) and it's really easy to firewall it from calling home (something somehow difficult with Dolphin). The obvious FOSS choice for almost everyone would be Firefox but I really hate their Android app and I have some bad thoughts about their Google connections. The FOSS best shot would be Tint or Lightning, but they're rather limited and AOSP it's even worse. Chrome it's obviously excluded for privacy sake.

Boat devs also used to be active on Xda with many supporters. For security precautions block port range 192.241.158.0/24 and 211.151.0.0/24.

Email app - K-9 (FOSS)
    - The oldest, most forked and trusted email client. Needs a deep design/interface Overhaulin' (hey, Chip Foose...)

Contacts and calendar sync - Fruux + Birthday Adapter (FOSS)
    - See services above.

Password & confidential safe - KeePassDroid (FOSS)
    - Believe me, I don't know a single password of my accounts and I have hundreds. The only really big and complex password I know is the one from KeePass.

Antivirus - NONE, JUST DON'T
    - I will not discuss here about the needs or true benefits of these apps but I can assure your data is leaking each time you go online. All them claim about privacy but they're always collecting "unidentifiable data".

== I will post links for everything soon. Please include links in your posts when justified. Thanks. ==
    == Android Alternative FOSS ==

This is a list of some well known apps and their open source alternatives. Incredibly some of them are even better than "official" or paid apps, some others are quite limited but evolving and much secure.

It's impossible to put everything here, only the best apps I've tried with success will be listed. Please keep posting your suggestions.

BitTorrent Sync > Syncthing
    Chrome > Firefox
    Dolphin > Tint Browser
    Dropbox > OwnCloud, Seafile
    Facebook > Tinfoil for Facebook
    Gmail > k-9 Mail
    Lux Auto Brightness > YAAB
    Tasker > SwiP
    Titanium Backup > oandbackup
    Twitter > Twidere
    disconnect.me being used by blackphone/silentcircle lends a bit of credence to them. Take a look at the superhero team of security professionals that head silentcircle... the inventor of PGP encryption, for one..? They've a track record of consistent and clear intent to serve the light side of privacy. disconnect's NSA connection or not... lest we forget Snowden is associated with the NSA as well... was he a manchurian candidate? manufactured whistleblowing? or just a whitehat?.. a secretly abused whitehat? Who knows the argument could go both ways. All I'm saying here is that just because one has had ties to a high profile group adversarial of privacy, doesn't ensure they share the same modus operandi. I concede it doesn't ensure they don't either, but there's no credence to being an open source dev with your gear up for show on github either. Remember heartbleed? There's some sketchy origins of the pull request for the bits of code that caused it.

further reading for consideration:

desktop tools:
    openvpn(be sure to check for DNS leaks, disable ipv6 stack on all non-relevant interfaces, and setup a firewall config to block outbound connections if the VPN drops.)
    if you're stuck on windows, drop chrome, but consider chromium. there are builds for it compiled for winblows, and it's certainly a better secondary browser than internot exploder.
    bleachbit (built on linux, but compiled to windows as well. scrub the cruft regularly, as your cache can identify you. see information about E-Tags)
    privazer is another thorough crap cleaner
    chocolatey, a package management system for windows (apt-get for win)
    peerblock blacklist-based IP blocker
    hosts-file.net blacklist-based hosts blocker (blocks ads/adware/malware/spyware faster than ABP can even attempt to begin blocking a request.)

past that... stop using windows for anything personal. set yourself up a windows gaming box if you need, but when it comes down to browsing, communications, banking, etc... all are juicy targets of the blanket observation by state, corporation, and cybermafia alike. If you've had a virus at ANY time since you've installed windows, STOP. Regardless if an AV says they caught it, you have no clue if the AV is capable of assuring you that nothing else in your system was modified to leave backdoors open. Hell, there's some speculation that M$ is in bed with the NSA and has left backdoors in the system explicitly for the purpose. Just because my audience here is likely not an enemy of the state, doesn't mean a cybermafia doesn't have full knowledge of baked-in backdoors.

If you must, at least attempt to harden your windows machine:

EMET 4.1 , produced by microsoft, is like SElinux and xprivacy for windows. install, read some howtos, configure, and forget it in the system tray.
    malwarebytes antiexploit, works in tandem with EMET.
    sandboxie for anything else you're handling sketchy files with.

Or... on the other hand... Linux desktop systems have come a long way, and since Windows continues to disappoint with their offerings the mass exodus to linux is growing by the day. check out distrowatch.org, find a flavor that seems fun to play with, download an iso image, burn to disk, and boot it up for an hour or two.

desktop firefox addons:
    eff.org "privacy badger"
    dephormation.org.uk "seceret agent"
    "random agent spoofer" does much of the same if you're uncomfortable with addons outside of the offical addons 'repo'
    "certificate patrol" for uber- micromanagement of SSL certficates received from servers
    "refcontrol" similar to the above, but removes x-forwarded-by http header (as opposed to altering the url your browser is about to fetch)
    "request policy" to micromanage what sites can sideload which content from other domains
    the following can also be found on FF for android
    "bluhell firewall" (regex minimalized version of an Adblock list tool, incredibly lower resource consumption)
    "ABEdge" is fine if you're terribly wary of closed source projects, but bluhell has worked a charm
    "cleanlinks" to auto-scrape referrer nesting off of links

chromium desktop addons :
    http switchboard (open source on github, better than ABEdge, noscript, requestpolicy, self-destructing cookies, betterprivacy combined... i recently found this one and am astonished at how well it does the work it took 5 separate firefox addons to do. now if only we could get a per-request user agent rotator for chromium and i'd be almost comfortable using google's FOSS project as a regular browser...)

same developer as switchboard also built a bluhell-style adblocker called ublock (mu / micro symbol, like utorrent)

Android mods:
    AFwall (hmmm glad I've blocked the kernel itself from network requests after reading through this thread...)
    xprivacy
    unbelovedHosts, an xposed module hosts blacklist
    MOAAB Mother of all ad blockers recovery-flashable hosts file
    smarter wifi manager (produced by the kismet wifi tool people, well respected FOSS devs. protects android's propensity for constantly updating a 50 yard radius around you with every wifi SSID you've ever connected to, and saves battery.)
    Google Auth (2 factor authentication program that works with quite a few non-google services, basically a time based RNG keyring, probably some others out there but a nice implementation, IMHO, despite the Goo.)
    openvpn / tun.ko installer ... stop telCo/firesheep deep packet inspection. VPN services all over the place, check torrentfreak for up to date reviews. Don't stick your nic in the internet without a VPN on...

stay away from minmin guard and the supposed poof an Adblock listrt of peerblock, both have publicly questioned sources and motives.

if you're really really adventurous, consider replicant, a completely GNU android distribution sponsored by Free Software Foundation. if you have a device they support, and have some hair on your geek chest, it's going to be like a cabin in northern Canada, be ready to be off the grid.

stay safe, san diego.
    @dvdram I agree and don't understand why so much people just don't care to talk about it.
    Do you want to know what really annoys me? Those dorks that lie to themselves by repeating again and again "I don't have anything to hide!" :mad:

Of course they do! Everone has something to hide in their lives. That's the dammed reason why we use houses and flats with non-transparent walls and doors, that can be shut and locked!

Please excuse my rudeness, but what really pisses me off is the missing rage of our chancellor. She grew up in a country where no one was safe from being spied upon, where no one could be sure who else listens to that phone call other than the one you were talking to. She knows what it's like to live in such a country. And what does she do? NOTHING!

If I were her I would become mad like the Hulk and give the American government an appropriate answer. But she's just sitting there and waiting until it's all over. That kind of phlegm and disinterest makes me puke!

Thankfully I did not vote for her and her party.
    Nice thread, thanks! :good:

Some thoughts from my side:
    I generally distrust every online service, especially if I don't pay for them. I think it is better to decentralise services and host them on self managed servers in families, groups of friends,... and thus basically only give data to trusted persons you know in real life.
    Here are two good links that show alternatives to proprietary software/cloud services:

== SERVICES ==
    Mail -
    I think mails are generally difficult to self-host. So you need a good mail service. Posteo was mentioned here, another similar reliable german mail provider (with english translation) is mailbox.org. They even encrypt unencrypted incoming mails with your PGP-key before they store them.

Contacts & calendar -
    Posteo and mail.org also include contact and calendar synchronisation via CalDav/CardDav. Even better: Host it by yourself.

Instant Messaging -
    XMPP (Jabber) is an open decentralised protocol with lots of implementations for almost every platform. You can host it by yourself or use an existing server. There are also very good clients for Android like Conversations or Xabber

== ANDROID SYSTEM ==

Two additions:
    Free Your Android! - campaign of the Free Software Foundation Europe
    IMSI Catcher/Spy Detector

== APPS ==

Android browser - Boat (proprietary code)
    Don't do this! Firefox for Android is also a good choice. And Orweb not to forget!

I use aCal from F-Droid
    DAVdroid is also a very good FOSS CalDav/CardDav-provider that integrates with the contacts/calendar app of android. And it is under active development (in contrast to aCal)