security concerns migrating from iOs to Android

Search This thread

applefag

Jan 18, 2013
As title suggests, coming from a so called "clean" iOS environment to Android, my main concern how susceptible is my data to being stolen. I have no (current) plans to root my next phone and will be used mainly from business, but from what I have read in the past even google play store apps have been to known to have malicious content. Am I worrying too much ? I do carry sensitive work data on my iPhone.

kalpetros

Jul 21, 2013
35.34, 25.13
As title suggests, coming from a so called "clean" iOS environment to Android, my main concern how susceptible is my data to being stolen. I have no (current) plans to root my next phone and will be used mainly from business, but from what I have read in the past even google play store apps have been to known to have malicious content. Am I worrying too much ? I do carry sensitive work data on my iPhone.

As long as the apps you install are from known sources (i.e. Play Store) you don't need to worry. Also every time you download an app check the permissions. If you think that the app shouldn't have those permissions then don't download it. Finally for safety reasons never install any apps from unknown sources (i.e. outside of Play Store) unless you trust the developer.

If you still find yourself worrying read this.

Last edited:

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
Am I worrying too much ?
Yep :)
I think you won't install any app outside Google Play so install apps that you know and you won't need to worry. FYI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

Also every time you download an app check the permissions. If you think that the app shouldn't have those permissions then don't download it.
Well only if you are sure. Sometimes apps need permissions that aren't justified for some people.

SaffatBokul

Jul 30, 2013
Dhaka
saffatbokul.com
for the open nature of the android ecosystem, it is somewhat normal that you will have to be careful though there are several different techniques, i use this the most.

Root your phone, install xposed framework and install xprivacy. here is a review of what it does http://www.xda-developers.com/android/manage-individual-app-permissions-with-xprivacy/ . I know the installation pprocess may seem daunting, but it is easier than you think :) this module wil allow you to block apps of certain permission. IE. you can block location service for all the apps on your phone so that no app can get your location. There are bunch of other permissions that you can block like access to contact, gallery etc

My question to others is : Is antivirus application on android worth it? I mean can it protect me from real time attaks and malwares??

snapper.fishes

Aug 7, 2010
Hong Kong
User sensibility is your best defense. Don't install apps not from the market. Only install apps with a lot of positive comments.

I would advise again rooting your phone. It's true that there are ways to block apps from accessing your private data on a rooted phone, but the additional vulnerability from unlocking your bootloader and rooting is not worth it. Just stick to apps from major developers.

DoctorLock

Jan 15, 2012
User sensibility is your best defense. Don't install apps not from the market. Only install apps with a lot of positive comments.

I would advise again rooting your phone. It's true that there are ways to block apps from accessing your private data on a rooted phone, but the additional vulnerability from unlocking your bootloader and rooting is not worth it. Just stick to apps from major developers.

I agree, rooting your phone comprimises your security even if you do it to install security apps.