Question Security updates

Search This thread

graysky

Nov 27, 2013
The last security update I see is June 1, 2022, which is to install Android 13, which I don't really want. Since there is a a new wifi calling exploit found, is there a way to get the security updates without installing A13 or does Goolge have the deck stacked and I'm essentially forced to upgrade? I live in a rural area and without wifi calling, I have no service.

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
Since there is a a new wifi calling exploit found
First of all the exploit was fixed with the latest update a few days ago! The exploit was discovered, fixed and published by Google. That's the usual way a chip manufacturer deals with it and there' no reason why it should be unsecure to use the latest firmware. BTW: No device was attacked.

Security patch level June '22? You want the latest patch level without installing the corresponding firmware? For what purpose? A new security patch = updated firmware and without an updated firmware you don't have any patches. That's it.

Edit: Some background information. Your installed patch level is set in your boot.img. In theory you'll need a patched boot.img with another patch level (unlocked bootloader required => all data gets wiped!). But your device isn't then more secure than before!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ctfrommn

graysky

Nov 27, 2013
So it's clear in my head, the OS is firmware and the latest security patches rely on the latest OS to function, correct?

graysky

Nov 27, 2013
Interesting. I installed all the available updates and the is no March update, which I thought was needed to fix the exploit. The most recent update is from Feb 5, 2023. This is a 6A phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since there is a a new wifi calling exploit found
    First of all the exploit was fixed with the latest update a few days ago! The exploit was discovered, fixed and published by Google. That's the usual way a chip manufacturer deals with it and there' no reason why it should be unsecure to use the latest firmware. BTW: No device was attacked.

Security patch level June '22? You want the latest patch level without installing the corresponding firmware? For what purpose? A new security patch = updated firmware and without an updated firmware you don't have any patches. That's it.

Edit: Some background information. Your installed patch level is set in your boot.img. In theory you'll need a patched boot.img with another patch level (unlocked bootloader required => all data gets wiped!). But your device isn't then more secure than before!!