Question Seeing touchscreen issues. Would you guys mind trying to do a touchscreen test and report back??

Search This thread

Mg213

Jan 26, 2022
I've been seeing my taps show up as swipes on my touchscreen. Would you guys mind downloading touchscreen test, setting the zoom to 0%, and tapping around like you're typing on your keyboard? On my other phones all the taps show up as dots, but on a few of the Pixel 6 devices I've tried, like 20% of the time they are show up as small swipes.

link to the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.rallwell.siriuth.touchscreentest
see the small swipes happening here: https://gfycat.com/agreeablepertinentarachnid

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
The app hasn't been updated in nearly a year, maybe that could be an issue. But I don't have any touchscreen issues so perhaps someone else can help more.

Mg213

Jan 26, 2022
The app hasn't been updated in nearly a year, maybe that could be an issue. But I don't have any touchscreen issues so perhaps someone else can help more.
The app not being updated isn't an issue. I think most people don't think they have issues with the touchscreen, but it just may not be very apparent to them. That's why I wanted people to just try it and report back. It's definitely super janky on every P6 I've tried, even the ones in store, making me think its widespread.

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
I've been seeing my taps show up as swipes on my touchscreen. Would you guys mind downloading touchscreen test, setting the zoom to 0%, and tapping around like you're typing on your keyboard? On my other phones all the taps show up as dots, but on a few of the Pixel 6 devices I've tried, like 20% of the time they are show up as small swipes.

link to the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.rallwell.siriuth.touchscreentest
see the small swipes happening here: https://gfycat.com/agreeablepertinentarachnid
I've noticed that as well and always thought I was just ... doing it wrong lol. Sometimes a simple tap will bring down QS or my side launcher. Sometimes a tap does nothing at all and I have to tap an icon or widget 2-3 times before the Pixel agrees to do whatever it is that tap was supposed to do.
Then again I do use an "unsupported" tempered glass screen protector, so I'm inclined to think that's the reason. 🤷‍♀️

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I have also seen this and am not sure if the problem is due to the screen protector that i use (not one of the officially approved ones) or the software being still a little buggy or both in combination. It happens rarely enough to not bother me much.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
So I loaded the app, got my magnifier out, and tried it. I have fat fingers and it seemed to go alright. If I touched it for too long there was a tiny swipe but then I corrected my touches and almost all were dots. Itsy bitsy swipes now and again but nothing that was super obvious as a flaw. I see a ton of little dots, where are your dots?

Mg213

Jan 26, 2022
So I loaded the app, got my magnifier out, and tried it. I have fat fingers and it seemed to go alright. If I touched it for too long there was a tiny swipe but then I corrected my touches and almost all were dots. Itsy bitsy swipes now and again but nothing that was super obvious as a flaw. I see a ton of little dots, where are your dots?
It just depends on the size of the itsy bitsy swipes that show up. For example mine are attached. I feel that these are too big and cause issue with the with tapping sometimes.

And actually I feel it's even worse when tapping with my index finger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-082030.png
    Screenshot_20220127-082030.png
    55 KB · Views: 49

simpson1991

Jan 2, 2010
Seems good to me, I mean I got some micro swipes but I'm sure that because I swipe my finger a tiny bit.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
You can't even see the dots on my 3 XL with 0 to 100 but zero swipes registered.

(I had made a post before where I didn't follow instructions so I edited all of it out and did it right).

Sure seems like a hardware issue to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-170917_Touch Screen Test.png
    Screenshot_20220127-170917_Touch Screen Test.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Tomatot-

May 11, 2012
OnePlus 6
Now that you say it, I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing the same, that would be why sometimes I have the feeling my commands are not registered. I don't know if it's software or hardware, I believe it could be easily fixed with software (a bit like a palm rejection feature, to ignore tiny slides)

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I had similar experience. Once noticed my mind started exaggerating it I believe. Because I also have the same challenges with touch on my Galaxy S10 work phone. For me at least I think it's me not the P6. Will certainly try the app on both phones this weekend.

Mg213

Jan 26, 2022
I had similar experience. Once noticed my mind started exaggerating it I believe. Because I also have the same challenges with touch on my Galaxy S10 work phone. For me at least I think it's me not the P6. Will certainly try the app on both phones this weekend.
I mean, from your signature, it looks like you've gone through alot of phones. How could it be you, not the P6 if you've never experienced this before on anything other than your S10?

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I mean, from your signature, it looks like you've gone through alot of phones. How could it be you, not the P6 if you've never experienced this before on anything other than your S10?
I only have the P6 for a couple of months. The only other phone I currently have and rarely use is the S10 and I can only make a comparison to that. Or in other words, this might have been there all along and I never paid attention to it.

Mg213

Jan 26, 2022
I have a completely different issue that I was suspecting for some time now. Taps don't register on the lower corners of the screen. I have to squeeze it to register. Swiping though at the same areas is working fine.
Yeah now that you mention it my lower corners don't respond either

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah now that you mention it my lower corners don't respond either
I haven't had a phone since the P3 that responds on the lower corners all the time. I've learned to live with it since it's really not all that bad and it's not always. I mean this is a mass produced phone and I'm sure all devices have little quirks like this. It's not a lunar landing module that needs nano second response it's just a phone. I find that if I obsess over the small stuff I won't enjoy the device and I really don't want to do that. That being said, I do understand what you're going after and your upset. I'm just not there.

Mg213

Jan 26, 2022
I haven't had a phone since the P3 that responds on the lower corners all the time. I've learned to live with it since it's really not all that bad and it's not always. I mean this is a mass produced phone and I'm sure all devices have little quirks like this. It's not a lunar landing module that needs nano second response it's just a phone. I find that if I obsess over the small stuff I won't enjoy the device and I really don't want to do that. That being said, I do understand what you're going after and your upset. I'm just not there.
For sure. The device is fast but it feels like a step backward from all my previous phones in terms of usability since I find I often have to tap things twice or doesn't respond to touch the way I expect it to. To me this is completely unexpected. I guess most people just don't notice these issues and so if that's the case, it's never going to be fixed. I just want Google to do right but I give up. Moving on to Samsung or iphone now.

xxnoelziexx

Mar 18, 2005
London
Thanks for providing the info all, I was thinking of downgrading from a Pixel 6 pro to the 6. Although the screen on the 6 pro is curve I have the exact same issue. Never experienced this on my past pixels.