• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Seeking advice on rooting Smart Tab M10 FHD Plus 2nd Gen

Search This thread

merkman

Feb 9, 2007
Greetings all. Former Android user, who's unlocked a number of devices over time, and I've just bought my first Android device in several years.

Previously, I bought an Amazon Fire 10 tablet. All I really wanted it for was to control my Sonos wireless speakers. I sideloaded the Google Play app, installed Sonos, got it working, and things were fine. But a few months later, the device started indicating the version of Android on the Fire 10 wasn't "up to date", and it indicated I wouldn't be able to run the Sonos app anymore. Fortunately, presumably because I'd already set it up and had it working, it's continued to work all this time. Get the error, which is annoying, but so far I CAN see my wireless speakers and control which services to use with them, etc.

That said, the Amazon Fire 10 tablet was SLOW when I first got it. And I find it frustrating to use for most things. So today I bought the Lenovo Smart Tab M10 Plus with Amazon Alexa Smart Dock. It was marked down for Prime Day, and while I understand it comes with Android OS 9, it can be upgraded to OS 10. Hoping that will be "new enough" for the Sonos software and other apps to work appropriately. Not sure what the dock is really supposed to do, and while I understand it's functionality may be limited by upgrading to OS 10... that's fine. I mainly got it so the tablet would be upright and easy to use. Trying to keep from laying the device flat on counters where the screen tends to get dust and things on it more easily.

So my big question was about rooting. Are you guys trying to load OS 11 on the tablet, and that's why you are rooting the device? I understand from a friend that OS 10 is typically all that's available for tablets, and I'm not sure why that is. I apologize if I'm being thick. As I mentioned before, I haven't used Android much since a Asus 7" tablet years ago.

Just trying to get an idea to the advantages of unlocking and rooting the device, so I can focus on that when it arrives later in the week... before getting it all setup then wiping and reloading software. Any info is appreciated, and thanks to all of you for your questions and answers here. As usual, XDA Forums are awesome! :)

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
Dear and knowledgeable readers!

Being a longtime lurker, your tireless work and dedication to the community have enabled me to unlock and root many different android devices over the years and I am deeply grateful this place exists.

Right now, I plan on adding the recently released

Lenovo Smart Tab M10 FHD Plus 2nd Gen [ZA5T0302SE / TB-X606F, I believe]

in the WLAN/4GB/64GB variant to my collection. Having grown accustomed to the luxury of root access, I was wondering if anyone already had some experience with rooting the device and would be willing to share his / her knowledge with me.

Especially, I was wondering if this guide for the TB-X605F, which I have successfully used in the past for my older model, would (in principle) be applicable, as long as I could obtain the corresponding firmware for the newer one, which might be available here (as soon as GD wills it).

Any advice / support would be highly appreciated!

[Sidenote]: To my best ability, I wasn’t able to find an existing thread on the topic of rooting the device in question and I hope to have chosen the right forum to post it in (or if the general Q&A would have been the better fit?). If not, dear mods, please be lenient with me and simply move the thread to the proper subforum.
Hi

Being a longtime lurker, your tireless work and dedication to the community have enabled me to unlock and root many different android devices over the years and I am deeply grateful this place exists.

in the WLAN/4GB/64GB variant to my collection. Having grown accustomed to the luxury of root access, I was wondering if anyone already had some experience with rooting the device and would be willing to share his / her knowledge with me.

Especially, I was wondering if this guide for the TB-X605F, which I have successfully used in the past for my older model, would (in principle) be applicable, as long as I could obtain the corresponding firmware for the newer one, which might be available here (as soon as GD wills it).

[Sidenote]: To my best ability, I wasn’t able to find an existing thread on the topic of rooting the device in question and I hope to have chosen the right forum to post it in (or if the general Q&A would have been the better fit?). If not, dear mods, please be lenient with me and simply move the thread to the proper subforum.
Hi can you please reply on this and give me a guide on how to root Lenovo tab m10 fhd 2nd gen I've already tried everything my device gets recognized when I go in fastbootd but not on bootloader preventing from unlocking and rooting it I'm using USB 2.0 port windows 10 and all drivers installed please S.O.S

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
Hi

Hi can you please reply on this and give me a guide on how to root Lenovo tab m10 fhd 2nd gen I've already tried everything my device gets recognized when I go in fastbootd but not on bootloader preventing from unlocking and rooting it I'm using USB 2.0 port windows 10 and all drivers installed please S.O.S
If you're talking about the TB-X606*, then this is an old thread. You should find your answers if you read the twrp thread.

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
If you're talking about the TB-X606*, then this is an old thread. You should find your answers if you read the twrp thread.
Hi so I just read your tutorial on how to install twrp in this device but I have one more problem my device isn't showing the USB debugging thing but it's charging on my PC and also I would really appreciate it if you could send me the direct link of the oem mediatek drivers:)

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
I'm talking about the TB-X306F
Hi so I just read your tutorial on how to install twrp in this device...
I'm not certain the twrp for the X606F will work on the X306F. They have a similar SOC, but the screen resolution is different. You can try. It might work.
...but I have one more problem my device isn't showing the USB debugging thing but it's charging on my PC...
The "USB Debugging" option is in the Developer Options. If you can't see Developer Options in Settings, then click on "build number" about 5-10 times.
...and also I would really appreciate it if you could send me the direct link of the oem mediatek drivers:)
The link to the MTK drivers is here.

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
I
Really appreciate it man but the problem is my USB debugging is on I have some experience with rooting devices but this specific one is really hard I have USB debugging on I tried re enabling it but nothing happened tried reboot but nothing this is getting frustrating I've been trying to root this device like 4 months typed adb reboot bootloader then fastbootd devices it was stuck on "waiting for any devices but when I typed adb reboot fastboot it got me on a different screen saying fastbootd and when I typed fastboot devices there it showed up but when I tried every unlock bootloader command it says cant do that on a regular something I don't really remember anyways my device has android 11 now also when I try to manually update drivers a message shows up saying the file you selected doesn't seem to have updatable software or it was not made for windows x64 or something like that rooting sometimes can be really hard and frustrating

I'm not certain the twrp for the X606F will work on the X306F. They have a similar SOC, but the screen resolution is different. You can try. It might work.

The "USB Debugging" option is in the Developer Options. If you can't see Developer Options in Settings, then click on "build number" about 5-10 times.

The link to the MTK drivers is here.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
... I typed adb reboot bootloader then fastbootd devices it was stuck on "waiting for any devices but when I typed adb reboot fastboot it got me on a different screen saying fastbootd and when I typed fastboot devices there it showed up but when I tried every unlock bootloader command it says cant do that on a regular something I don't really remember
In this post, the user reports that fastboot flashing unlock allowed him to unlock the bootloader on his X306F. Also notice he says to use Windows command prompt (as Administrator) not PowerShell.

...and don't forget to select "OEM unlocking" in Developer Options.

...also when I try to manually update drivers a message shows up saying the file you selected doesn't seem to have updatable software or it was not made for windows x64 or something like that...
If Windows is complaining that the drivers are unsigned, then read this post.

If it's a different error message, then maybe the guys in this thread can help you out if you ask over there.

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
In this post, the user reports that fastboot flashing unlock allowed him to unlock the bootloader on his X306F. Also notice he says to use Windows command prompt (as Administrator) not PowerShell.

...and don't forget to select "OEM unlocking" in Developer Options.

If Windows is complaining that the drivers are unsigned, then read this post.

If it's a different error message, then maybe the guys in this thread can help you out if you ask over there.
Thanks very much

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
I was able to root it with a modified boot.img and magisk..
It works flawlessly - for many months now..
I have everything needed boot.img vbmeta.img everything drivers are installed but fastboot commands don't work when I adb reboot bootloader pretty sure it's a driver problem but I already have installed them I have no idea what to do

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
... fastboot commands don't work when I adb reboot bootloader pretty sure it's a driver problem but I already have installed them I have no idea what to do
Someone please give me a solution
Read and follow this post very carefully.

If it does not help, then what do you mean by "fastboot commands don't work" ? What is the command you tried? What is the error message? What happens when you type fastboot devices ? What version of fastboot are you using? Are you in PowerShell or command prompt? What is the name and version of the driver, as reported by Device Manager? Where did you get the drivers from? Did the drivers install ok?

btw...please use punctuation. It makes life a lot easier for the people who want to help you.

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
Read and follow this post very carefully.

If it does not help, then what do you mean by "fastboot commands don't work" ? What is the command you tried? What is the error message? What happens when you type fastboot devices ? What version of fastboot are you using? Are you in PowerShell or command prompt? What is the name and version of the driver, as reported by Device Manager? Where did you get the drivers from? Did the drivers install ok?

btw...please use punctuation. It makes life a lot easier for the people who want to help you.
Every fastboot command says <waiting for any devices> I'm using and and fastboot 1.4.3 I have the latest USB drivers I got it from xda forums drivers installed pretty good I'm in a cmd with admin rights

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
Every fastboot command says <waiting for any devices> I'm using and and fastboot 1.4.3 I have the latest USB drivers I got it from xda forums drivers installed pretty good I'm in a cmd with admin rights
The latest version of fastboot is 31.0.2-7242960. Double check with fastboot --version. Also use that command to make sure Windows is running the correct executable.

Make sure you are using the latest drivers from Mediatek. When your tablet is in fastboot mode and connected to your PC, check the name, publisher and version of the driver in Device Manager.

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
The latest version of fastboot is 31.0.2-7242960. Double check with fastboot --version. Also use that command to make sure Windows is running the correct executable.

Make sure you are using the latest drivers from Mediatek. When your tablet is in fastboot mode and connected to your PC, check the name, publisher and version of the driver in Device Manager.
Doing right now but my PC slow as hell

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021

Please send me the link for the latest fastboot version cant find it anywhere

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you download the lmsa tool, plug in the tablet and go to recovery it will download the full stock firmware. Then you can find it c/program data/LMSA/downloads.

I did that then downloads magisk manager. Extract the boot.img from firmware and put in storage of tablet. Then used magisk manager and patch the boot.img it will tell where it is stored. Extract from tablet and put it in same folder as adb/fast boot. Then put tablet in fastboot and fastboot flash boot magisk-patched.img. then fastboot reboot. The will be rooted with magisk

I forgot. You must unlock bootloader to do this.
    It took me some time to finally get to it … delivery problems with the device … busy work schedule …

… anyhow, I now took the leap and am happy to report that, thanks to your advice, I was able to add another rooted device to my ever-growing collection. “Worked like a charm”, as they use to say.

To repeat myself, I am very grateful for you taking the time to respond to my question and reassuring me that this was the path to follow.

Honestly, thanks!
    Hello, trying to flash the masgisk patched boot with Android 10 goes in bootloop (recoverable via rescue and smart assistant).

What we have to do? Flash the vbmeta?

Thanks

Yes. Flash stock unmodified vbmeta.img with this command:

fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

And your device will boot again with magisk patched boot.img

I used Magisk 20.4 together with TB_X606F_S300007_200923_BMP.zip

And I now have a Lenovo TB-X606F rooted with Android 10
    Hello dear Android users...
    I've got the 3/64GB version of this device (ZA5T0300US) and this method of rooting did not work for me. When I check root in Magisk Manager, it says ctsProfile:false & basicIntegrity:true, so root doesn't work. I tried multiple times and every time had this same result. My ROM version is TB_X606F_USR_S100055_2001030016_V5.196_BMP_ROW (extracted ROM folder name). Are you sure your root actually 100% worked? What is your ROM version?

You did not enable Magisk Hide
    Yes. Flash stock unmodified vbmeta.img with this command:

fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

And your device will boot again with magisk patched boot.img

I used Magisk 20.4 together with TB_X606F_S300007_200923_BMP.zip

And I now have a Lenovo TB-X606F rooted with Android 10

You're the reason I'm now going to bed instead of staying up till 5 am lol. Thank you for this, I was tearing my hair out wondering why it was wasn't working!