Seems to me T-Mobile GS3 will be receiving LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ddizzy81

Jul 5, 2010
Hartford, CT
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well thats your opinion. THere is no reason to post a thread about an opinion with zero information backing it up. It is quite rude of you actually. DocHoliday has been telling everyone that there is no possible way for our phone to support LTE. And why does he say this? Well because thats his opinion, but he has it backed by very simple to understand hardware specs. LTE is a total separate radio then the standard GSM that our device has. So unless they release a new S3 for T-Mobile, then the S3 will never see LTE. There is no amount of software hacking that will put a hardware component into a device. And every T-Mobile person i have asked confirmed the S3 will NOT support LTE. SO EVERYONE just leave it already.

What really annoys me is how you decided you just had to create a whole separate thread about this which has been discussed hundreds of times. you have an opinion great, post in a thread that already exists.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Was just about to say this. Thanks Teo!

If u are not a moderator I see no reason for u to have to come to my thread to talk trash . I realized after I made this thread that there was another one in the Q&A thread. There is other people that agree with me and some who don't. To each their own .

Sent from my SGH-T999

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
If u are not a moderator I see no reason for u to have to come to my thread to talk trash . I realized after I made this thread that there was another one in the Q&A thread. There is other people that agree with me and some who don't. To each their own .

Sent from my SGH-T999

Im not talking trash im talking truth. But if you really wish i am pretty sure if i press that little triangle button on your original post that a mod will be more than happy to shut this thread down.

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
Lol most of us won't even have the s3 by the time lte fully rolls out we'll all switch to the s4 which will have lte

So arguing about it is pointless
Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

AB33

Nov 10, 2007
Who needs LTE when I get 8-25 mbps down and 2-3 up? uploadfromtaptalk1353025646701.jpg

Sent from my GS3 via TapaTalk 2

Reactions: ndwgs

ASharpEdge

Oct 29, 2012
McHenry
Hmmmm.... Read this all who think they know all:

"In the case of the Galaxy S III, the short, simplified answer is that Snapdragon S4 is a complete chipset that bundles the application processor, cellular radios, and LTE radio into a fast package that's ready now."

"Samsung's DiCarlo explained that opting for Snapdragon S4 inside gives the Galaxy S III LTE, GSM/CDMA, and a CPU in one manageable unit -- while still hitting a summer release date for all five U.S. carrier partners."

Quotes from this c/net article ---->>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...ual-core-processor-and-why-you-shouldnt-care/

Quote I live by: Never assume you will most likely make an a** out of u & me

exynos5250x

Jan 12, 2012
Connecticut
The tmobile galaxy s III has the following inside:

Skyworks 77737 Power Amplifier Module for LTE Bands 12/17 (698-716 MHz)

Skyworks 77762 SkyHi PAM for WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+/LTE

Qualcomm RTR8600 transifer which has support for lte

So, it is very possible that tmobile might enable LTE with a software update, anyone can feel free to correct me if im wrong, im not very experience with cellphone radio modules.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hmmmm.... Read this all who think they know all:

"In the case of the Galaxy S III, the short, simplified answer is that Snapdragon S4 is a complete chipset that bundles the application processor, cellular radios, and LTE radio into a fast package that's ready now."

"Samsung's DiCarlo explained that opting for Snapdragon S4 inside gives the Galaxy S III LTE, GSM/CDMA, and a CPU in one manageable unit -- while still hitting a summer release date for all five U.S. carrier partners."

Quotes from this c/net article ---->>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...ual-core-processor-and-why-you-shouldnt-care/

Quote I live by: Never assume you will most likely make an a** out of u & me

Mr know all look.

T-Mobile Galaxy S3
General
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
SIM Micro-SIM
Announced 2012, June
Status Available. Released 2012, June

and

ATT Galaxy S3
General
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 2100
SIM Micro-SIM
Announced 2012, June
Status Available. Released 2012, July

Hmm, T-Mobile doesnt have listed that it supports LTE. Now why is that.. oh thats right, cause it doesnt support LTE. Just because the S4 processor supports it, doesnt mean the phone has the other hardware capable for it. GSMarena lists ALL hardware specifications irregardless of the software capabilities.

Just wanted to point this out so we can finally put this to rest.

Reactions: monkeypaws

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Mr know all look.

T-Mobile Galaxy S3
General
SIM Micro-SIM
Announced 2012, June

and

ATT Galaxy S3
General
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 2100
SIM Micro-SIM
Announced 2012, June
Status Available. Released 2012, July

Hmm, T-Mobile doesnt have listed that it supports LTE. Now why is that.. oh thats right, cause it doesnt support LTE. Just because the S4 processor supports it, doesnt mean the phone has the other hardware capable for it. GSMarena lists ALL hardware specifications irregardless of the software capabilities.

And for more proof....

Re: Confirmed, No LTE on the GS3 for Tmobile

NOW PLEASE lets end this confusion!!!! -.-

death1246

Jan 24, 2010
Florida
it does have an LTE radio.. but t-mobile will not update the modem to support it.

The fact that t-mobiles LTE bands are the same as T-Mobile (so the news say) means when it's officially everywhere we can just load up the LTE radio on our GS3s... (and rom if anything is required from that state aswell...)

all GSM US models have the same hardware. And you put it up youself ATTs LTE will be on T-Mobiles bands. All we would need is the modem when they release it. (they being ATT) you wouldnt have 3G but you could test out the LTE... which is kinda stupid anyways without 3G

Last edited:

km3k

Jan 25, 2009
Mr know all look.

T-Mobile Galaxy S3
General
SIM Micro-SIM
Announced 2012, June

I realize that T-Mobile probably won't have this phone support LTE, but just because T-Mobile only lists those frequencies doesn't mean anything. This phone also supports WCDMA and I've used that function of the phone while in South Korea, even though they don't list it.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
it does have an LTE radio.. but t-mobile will not update the modem to support it.

The fact that t-mobiles LTE bands are the same as T-Mobile (so the news say) means when it's officially everywhere we can just load up the LTE radio on our GS3s... (and rom if anything is required from that state aswell...)

all GSM US models have the same hardware. And you put it up youself ATTs LTE will be on T-Mobiles bands. All we would need is the modem when they release it. (they being ATT) you wouldnt have 3G but you could test out the LTE... which is kinda stupid anyways without 3G

Actually, if you would have read the second link i posted, in there it clearly states T-Mobile does not have support for LTE.

I realize that T-Mobile probably won't have this phone support LTE, but just because T-Mobile only lists those frequencies doesn't mean anything. This phone also supports WCDMA and I've used that function of the phone while in South Korea, even though they don't list it.

For the record, thats not a T-Mobile website i got those specs from. Its called gsmarena.com where they list all hardware specs and capabilities of the phone regardless of the software.

Now ive provided plenty of proof confirming we will not be getting LTE on our devices (no im not "proud" of this it would have been nice to see that the phone im stuck with for TWO years will be supporting LTE which comes out in ONE year) but for terms of these senseless threads lets just put an end to them.

exynos5250x

Jan 12, 2012
Connecticut
The tmobile galaxy s III has the following inside:

Skyworks 77737 Power Amplifier Module for LTE Bands 12/17 (698-716 MHz)

Skyworks 77762 SkyHi PAM for WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+/LTE

Qualcomm RTR8600 transifer which has support for lte

So, it is very possible that tmobile might enable LTE with a software update, anyone can feel free to correct me if im wrong, im not very experience with cellphone radio modules.

Maybe you guys missed my post....

ASharpEdge

Oct 29, 2012
McHenry
Correct information about TMO T999 GS# phones

Mr. elesbb...I would suggest you take a class in college called "Critical Thinking." In the class you are taught how to properly find legitimate sources for college papers and research. Most of the internet is filled with misinformation and if possible you are always supposed to get your information directly from the source and not from 2nd and 3rd parties. You have shown as proof a review website and a blog arguement...Not good sources at all.

I have seen so many websites showing the same information....That is that Qualcomm's chip that IS IN ALL Samsung GS3's is called the MSM8960 Snapdragon S4. Does anyone disagree with that? (pic from phone below)
All of the specs for that MGM8960 board clearly show that it comes with a fully integrated LTE radio. And here is a screenshot of the board specs in the unit from T-Mobile:

attachment.php

Notice it says Board: MSM8960 and Device: d2tmo

Now read the attached whitesheet DIRECTLY FROM QUALCOMM.
Then if you want you can read 2nd and third party information if you do not believe the first party info shown clearly on the screenshot and the spec sheet from Qualcomm.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd party links:

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/relea...t-generation-snapdragon-mobile-chipset-family

https://developer.qualcomm.com/blog...elopment-your-snapdragon-s4-mdp-now-available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip) (you have to scroll about 3/4 of the way down to see the specs for the MSM8960)

http://gigaom.com/mobile/qualcomm-no-quad-core-phones-at-mwc-but-well-have-something-better/

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-thinks-you-should-develop-on-snapdragon.aspx

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/05/re...hip-market-in-1h-as-qualcomm-milked-lte-lead/

Wow, that is a lot of proof...I am done with my case consider yourself pwned.

** Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I just want everyone to develop their own opinion with the correct information.

Attachments

• QU_SnapdragonS4_White_Paper_FNL_Rev6.pdf
    418.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: ddizzy81

flipq88

Aug 11, 2011
God is this thread still going? Believe what you wanna believe, there now everyone's happy

Sent from Flip's S3

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Mr. elesbb...I would suggest you take a class in college called "Critical Thinking." In the class you are taught how to properly find legitimate sources for college papers and research. Most of the internet is filled with misinformation and if possible you are always supposed to get your information directly from the source and not from 2nd and 3rd parties. You have shown as proof a review website and a blog arguement...Not good sources at all.

I have seen so many websites showing the same information....That is that Qualcomm's chip that IS IN ALL Samsung GS3's is called the MSM8960 Snapdragon S4. Does anyone disagree with that? (pic from phone below)
All of the specs for that MGM8960 board clearly show that it comes with a fully integrated LTE radio. And here is a screenshot of the board specs in the unit from T-Mobile:

attachment.php

Notice it says Board: MSM8960 and Device: d2tmo

Now read the attached whitesheet DIRECTLY FROM QUALCOMM.
Then if you want you can read 2nd and third party information if you do not believe the first party info shown clearly on the screenshot and the spec sheet from Qualcomm.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd party links:

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/relea...t-generation-snapdragon-mobile-chipset-family

https://developer.qualcomm.com/blog...elopment-your-snapdragon-s4-mdp-now-available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip) (you have to scroll about 3/4 of the way down to see the specs for the MSM8960)

http://gigaom.com/mobile/qualcomm-no-quad-core-phones-at-mwc-but-well-have-something-better/

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-thinks-you-should-develop-on-snapdragon.aspx

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/05/re...hip-market-in-1h-as-qualcomm-milked-lte-lead/

Wow, that is a lot of proof...I am done with my case consider yourself pwned.

** Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I just want everyone to develop their own opinion with the correct information.

Your case is pointless because if you read the second post you will notice it says our T-Mobile device uses MSM8960a <-- that 'a' makes all the difference. Its the exact same chip as the MSM8960 MINUS the LTE stuffs. So yeah you are 'pwned' not i. Maybe if you were to actually read instead of thinking you know everything and thinking that the internet doesnt lie to you then maybe you would know this information. And yes everyone can have their opinion. Im just here to prove them wrong with solid concrete facts. I cant believe you are willing to sit there and argue when T-Mobile themselves clearly state that the Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 will not support LTE. If LTE were possible on our devices, why then can we not use it on ATT LTE if everyone is saying that the chip supports it and that the chip is the same in all devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its there becsuse sammy built the same JB base for all the carriers.
    Seriously, dont get your hopes up for this. It has been discussed a lot in the past and our hw will not support LTE.

^this guy has a point...wouldn't make much sense that Samsung would make a special board just for the T-Mobile Galaxy S III

While I agree it doesn't make much sense at all, I guess we will all see soon enough about this whole LTE situation. Personally if I knew there would of been an LTE enabled S3, I would of waited for it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Seriously I could care less about LTE. First off, I get great speeds with hspa, second, by the time LTE has arrived I will have already moved on to another phone that supports LTE.

Sent from Flip's S3
    I'm listening of course I just have a different opinion

Sent from my SGH-T999

Well thats your opinion. THere is no reason to post a thread about an opinion with zero information backing it up. It is quite rude of you actually. DocHoliday has been telling everyone that there is no possible way for our phone to support LTE. And why does he say this? Well because thats his opinion, but he has it backed by very simple to understand hardware specs. LTE is a total separate radio then the standard GSM that our device has. So unless they release a new S3 for T-Mobile, then the S3 will never see LTE. There is no amount of software hacking that will put a hardware component into a device. And every T-Mobile person i have asked confirmed the S3 will NOT support LTE. SO EVERYONE just leave it already.

What really annoys me is how you decided you just had to create a whole separate thread about this which has been discussed hundreds of times. you have an opinion great, post in a thread that already exists.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

This is probably because they use the same build for all 4 models and it's easier to leave it in since 3 carriers carry it?

But anyways the s2 Hercules also had that option, but the hardware didn't allow it.

Was just about to say this. Thanks Teo!
    To add to this... if you go on the app manager in the setting.. and go on the all apps.. u ll notice these 2 apps
    Com.test.LTEfunctionality.. and com.test.LTEtestmodesetting.
    Explain this