Selling my ROG Phone 1 for OP 7T Pro (McLaren)

Search This thread

snoopy-doopy

Dec 10, 2005
Hi everybody,

what do you think is this a real upgrade ?

I'm about buying a OP 7T Pro on eBay, read a lot of threads about WLAN and Bluetooth probs. ....

So wondering if this device is as good as everybody says?

Kevorex1

Oct 22, 2018
Hi everybody,

I'm about buying a OP 7T Pro on eBay, read a lot of threads about WLAN and Bluetooth probs. ....

I didn't experience any WLAN and Bluetooth problems, but since you are probably referring to the T-Mobile, I can't answer to that, as I have the Chinese non-5G variant of the 7T Pro McLaren Edition.
About whether buying it or not, I would suggest that you might want to wait for the OnePlus 8 (and 8 Pro) release so that you can get your hands on the latest Snapdragon SoC, along with that long-anticipated stunning 1440p 120Hz screens from Samsung (which are yet to be confirmed if they are compatible of displaying at 1440p and 120Hz at the same time without ditching one another) hardware accelerated real-time motion interpolation for watching videos, so that every youtube videos you watch can be upscaled to 120Hz for ultra smoothness). For now, search up for reviews about Samsung's S20 series. I believe the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro would be quite similar to Samsung S20 and S20+ respectively, except for having lower price tags (of course), better front camera (since Samsung nerfed the S20 and S20+ front camera, so that more people may buy the S20 Ultra), considerably worst camera software (which can be solved by installing ported Gcam), and that OnePlus exclusive motion interpolation technology (which they called MEMC for some reason). The wait may not be long, so I just don't want you to regret about your buying option.

Reactions: snoopy-doopy

snoopy-doopy

Dec 10, 2005
@Kevorex1

thanks for reply ??? sure you are right and happy to hear that you have no problems ???

Maybe the price drops when the OP8 appears, so that I can buy a McLaren Edition at a lower price. The price on eBay is to high for now!!!

champ784

May 31, 2013
Richmond
Nexus 9
Moto G7 Play
I'd go ahead and get the OP7T Pro. I may be bias since I'm considered a OnePlus fanboy. But honestly, I love OxygenOS and think you get a ton for your money.

Don't get me wrong, ROG phones are sick. I haven't owned one, just played around with them, so I guess I don't have the full perspective. But OnePlus has always been considered very good by many, and they retain their value pretty well. I almost kept my OP3 for a fourth year and probably could've pulled it off since the dev community is strong for it (despite the hiccups with carrier issues). But if you're willing to play around with it a bit, I think it's well worth your while.

Joe199799

Sep 7, 2014
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi everybody,

It's your call if you want to wait for the 8/8pro personally I went for the 7t pro McLaren instead of holding off for the new ones because of leaks are to be believed it's going to have a hole punch display and I'm honestly not a fan of it I can live with a half a generation old SOC and it's already a massive step up from my 6T I had previously.

champ784

May 31, 2013
Richmond
Nexus 9
Moto G7 Play
It's your call if you want to wait for the 8/8pro personally I went for the 7t pro McLaren instead of holding off for the new ones because of leaks are to be believed it's going to have a hole punch display and I'm honestly not a fan of it I can live with a half a generation old SOC and it's already a massive step up from my 6T I had previously.
I'm still baffled that OnePlus would go with the hole punch rather than full display. I know Samsung resonates well with a lot of consumers, and maybe they're trying to go for that same look I just think they are pandering a bit unfortunately.

Joe199799

Sep 7, 2014
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm still baffled that OnePlus would go with the hole punch rather than full display. I know Samsung resonates well with a lot of consumers, and maybe they're trying to go for that same look I just think they are pandering a bit unfortunately.

Nope they go off the design of the previous oppo phone that released if I'm not mistaken as oppo and OnePlus are subsidiaries of a bigger company (BBK electronics?) If I'm also not mistaken the base for the 7pro and 7T pro is the Oppo (edit: a mix of the vivo nex s and find x my apologies) and OnePlus just went with that. It's also been theorized why they ditched the headphone jack on the 6T because it was based off an Oppo phone that had also ditched the headphone jack. If I had to guess the Oppo Reno 3 might be the base design for the 8 and 8pro and OnePlus will work with that.

Last edited:

champ784

May 31, 2013
Richmond
Nexus 9
Moto G7 Play
Nope they go off the design of the previous oppo phone that released if I'm not mistaken as oppo and OnePlus are subsidiaries of a bigger company (BBK electronics?) If I'm also not mistaken the base for the 7pro and 7T pro is the Oppo (edit: a mix of the vivo nex s and find x my apologies) and OnePlus just went with that. It's also been theorized why they ditched the headphone jack on the 6T because it was based off an Oppo phone that had also ditched the headphone jack. If I had to guess the Oppo Reno 3 might be the base design for the 8 and 8pro and OnePlus will work with that.
I guess that makes sense. Considering OnePlus. I forgot that Oppo make it possible for OnePlus to have less expensive devices by using existing chassis and designs. Still... Kinda frustrating. But I guess there's only so much you can do when Oppo copies other companies' designs. But you're right. Can't blame OnePlus for that.

Joe199799

Sep 7, 2014
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I guess that makes sense. Considering OnePlus. I forgot that Oppo make it possible for OnePlus to have less expensive devices by using existing chassis and designs. Still... Kinda frustrating. But I guess there's only so much you can do when Oppo copies other companies' designs. But you're right. Can't blame OnePlus for that.

Hey if they can make a pretty dope phone and undercut Samsung flagships by a couple of hundred dollars resusing an oppom phone as a chasis I'll take it

knpk13

Dec 11, 2015
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 3T

Pretty sure most 2020 flagship designs are being influenced by Qualcomm's decision to not integrate the modem in the SD865 and basically force 5G since the X55 is the only compatible external modem (even if you only want 4G). Means a ton of extra space needed for 5G antennae and modem (that most people won't use) so you don't have space for a mechanical pop up camera, and increased battery usage. Which is why I got the 7T pro instead of any 2020 phone. And yes BBK electronics owns multiple Chinese companies that share resources, so the phones often look pretty similar. All the same supply chain and components. Very few companies can actually make phones in other ways, like the Purism Librem 5.

I'm still considering returning the 7T Pro and using my old 3T. The curved edges are really annoying.

Last edited:

champ784

May 31, 2013
Richmond
Nexus 9
Moto G7 Play
Pretty sure most 2020 flagship designs are being influenced by Qualcomm's decision to not integrate the modem in the SD865 and basically force 5G since the X55 is the only compatible external modem (even if you only want 4G). Means a ton of extra space needed for 5G antennae and modem (that most people won't use) so you don't have space for a mechanical pop up camera, and increased battery usage. Which is why I got the 7T pro instead of any 2020 phone. And yes BBK electronics owns multiple Chinese companies that share resources, so the phones often look pretty similar. All the same supply chain and components. Very few companies can actually make phones in other ways, like the Purism Librem 5.

I'm still considering returning the 7T Pro and using my old 3T. The curved edges are really annoying.
I'm not a huge fan of the curved glass either. But I love every other aspect of my phone. I'd traded my OP3 in for the 6T at T-Mobile since they had a super deal going for it at the time. And from there, I became a sucker for the 7 Pro and then 7T Pro ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody,

I didn't experience any WLAN and Bluetooth problems, but since you are probably referring to the T-Mobile, I can't answer to that, as I have the Chinese non-5G variant of the 7T Pro McLaren Edition.
    About whether buying it or not, I would suggest that you might want to wait for the OnePlus 8 (and 8 Pro) release so that you can get your hands on the latest Snapdragon SoC, along with that long-anticipated stunning 1440p 120Hz screens from Samsung (which are yet to be confirmed if they are compatible of displaying at 1440p and 120Hz at the same time without ditching one another) hardware accelerated real-time motion interpolation for watching videos, so that every youtube videos you watch can be upscaled to 120Hz for ultra smoothness). For now, search up for reviews about Samsung's S20 series. I believe the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro would be quite similar to Samsung S20 and S20+ respectively, except for having lower price tags (of course), better front camera (since Samsung nerfed the S20 and S20+ front camera, so that more people may buy the S20 Ultra), considerably worst camera software (which can be solved by installing ported Gcam), and that OnePlus exclusive motion interpolation technology (which they called MEMC for some reason). The wait may not be long, so I just don't want you to regret about your buying option.