• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Send messages without notification (WhatsApp, FB Messenger, Hangout....)

Search This thread

tipztv

Nov 23, 2010
The problem: your smart Gear S2 can only reply to incoming notification. Not to mention that you can only send one message for each notification. Once a notification is dismissed, you have no way to send messages to your friend. What if you want to start the conversation first?

That's why I came up with an app to solve that problem.

It supports multiple apps: WhatsApp, FB Messenger, Google Hangout, Line, KakaoTalk, Skype, Telegram, BBM, Signal, Textra, GG Messenger, Go SMS and Chomp

*Telegram support is experimental.
* Viber dropped from the list due to being unstable.

What it offers:
- Sending messages directly to your friend whenever you want to. No notification? No problem.
- Using multiple services for chatting? You can control all of them in one list. Only chat threads you need will appear on the watch.
- No login required. Your accounts and info are safe. App has no access to storage or internet.
- Send and add new predefined messages for faster texting.
- Native interface. Bezel scrolling.

What it doesn't offer:
- Log of previous conversation.
- Not a client for any of those apps.

So, you can combine this app with the default reply to notification ability on the watch for a complete experience. I know for some apps like WhatsApp, you can view previous messages.

App will be available in the Gear store soon. Including a free version for testing.

Have questions about the app? Let me know :)

Last edited:

supersoulfly

Dec 29, 2010
Seoul, Korea
I got a couple questions, are you going to charge a fee on the Gear app store?
If you do any nonSamsung Galaxy phone user will not be able to use this app.

If you are set on charging a fee is it possible to do an app like the S2 Tasker app? It uses a companion Android app from the Play store that charges a fee so the developer still gets paid and the app is available to everyone.

tardis_42

Dec 9, 2014
Sony Xperia 1 III

If you are set on charging a fee is it possible to do an app like the S2 Tasker app? It uses a companion Android app from the Play store that charges a fee so the developer still gets paid and the app is available to everyone.

That restriction has actually been lifted as of a week or two ago - paid apps are now available for purchase by non-Samsung phone users. If you're not seeing paid apps, you might need to update your version of the Samsung Gear app or the associated plugins.

supersoulfly

Dec 29, 2010
Seoul, Korea
I think I figured out the misunderstanding. Probably the Korean market that I'm in that's stopping me from having access to paid apps.

henklbr

Feb 20, 2009
Netherlands
www.sammobile.com
Will for sure buy this app, when available in the Samsung Gear Store...

Maybe you could make a free AND paid version (free version i.e. only 1 service active (i.e. Hangouts butNOT WhatsApp!) and paid version unlocked!)

Please add "Telegram" too to your services ;)

Last edited:

tipztv

Nov 23, 2010

I'm still unsure about it :) you don't see any paid apps in the gear store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tipztv

Nov 23, 2010
Will for sure buy this app, when available in the Samsung Gear Store...

Maybe you could make a free AND paid version (free version i.e. only 1 service active (i.e. Hangouts butNOT WhatsApp!) and paid version unlocked!)

Please add "Telegram" too to your services ;)

Telegram works, but the main telegram app sometimes kick me out. Not sure if it is a bug in the app or a security measure to prevent unofficial access

kta

I'm still unsure about it :) you don't see any paid apps in the gear store?

I don't see any paid apps either. I'm in Malta, Europe. Not sure if it has to do with my region. I have all softwares up to date and created a new Samsung account from scratch just to be sure. I was never asked to enter a credit card number, and I registered from a PC just to be double sure.

If anyone has any ideas it would be great. And to the author of the app, please make it free on Samsung Store and do a paid companion app on Play store like tipztv has done with his tasker app [emoji6] Thanks

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

runningwarrior08

Apr 27, 2010
I have google play credit so I would love for it to be in the play store also :D but will buy it no matter where it is :D.
Sidenote: I was looking into starting a full hangouts app for Tizen, I know there is no API but I found a github where a group has decompiled and created the hangouts app in python. I could either create an API from it and package it or try to convert it. But in no way would it be a quick or easy task... Have you looked into doing this at all?

CASz

Jan 10, 2009
This sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it in the store.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tipztv

thejdoe

Jun 5, 2013
App looks awesome and very useful, especially for Hangouts. My only concern is privacy. What type of access would this app have to my Hangout password, contacts info, etc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem: your smart Gear S2 can only reply to incoming notification. Not to mention that you can only send one message for each notification. Once a notification is dismissed, you have no way to send messages to your friend. What if you want to start the conversation first?

That's why I came up with an app to solve that problem.

It supports multiple apps: WhatsApp, FB Messenger, Google Hangout, Line, KakaoTalk, Skype, Telegram, BBM, Signal, Textra, GG Messenger, Go SMS and Chomp

*Telegram support is experimental.
    * Viber dropped from the list due to being unstable.

What it offers:
    - Sending messages directly to your friend whenever you want to. No notification? No problem.
    - Using multiple services for chatting? You can control all of them in one list. Only chat threads you need will appear on the watch.
    - No login required. Your accounts and info are safe. App has no access to storage or internet.
    - Send and add new predefined messages for faster texting.
    - Native interface. Bezel scrolling.

What it doesn't offer:
    - Log of previous conversation.
    - Not a client for any of those apps.

So, you can combine this app with the default reply to notification ability on the watch for a complete experience. I know for some apps like WhatsApp, you can view previous messages.

App will be available in the Gear store soon. Including a free version for testing.

Have questions about the app? Let me know :)
    Hey. @tipztv when are you goin to launch the chat hub app??

It has been pushed back to Wednesday next week. I decided to test it a little bit longer to eliminate as many bugs as possible and tweak the interface during the weekend :)
    I would love a fix.
    I'm not sure how something like this doesn't get picked up and fixed. Samsung disappoints me again :(

The OS is still pretty good :eek: and the feature isn't implemented on any other watches so I don't blame them.

Anyway, the app will be submitted for review tomorrow. So you guys will probably get it on Tuesday or Monday night depending on your location.

Video tutorial will be available in a few hours :highfive:
    Sounds great thank you!!

Added Textra support as well as some other ones like GG Messenger, Chomp, Go SMS.

Textra sends sms without being the default sms app, while all others don't. Might be helpful for some