Separate category for Google TV chromecast 2020

Search This thread

robojerk

Dec 22, 2010
When I hear "GoogleTV" I think of my 10 year old Visio CoStar which I became very aware that it was abandonware about 6 months after release. I think Google bringing the name back was foolish as AndroidTV didn't have the stink of abandonment on it and was slowly (very slowly) getting more recognition.

Reactions: Detilly

JayDoubleu

Nov 4, 2020
Android TV with Google TV luncher , Google TV on Chromecast, branding and confusion all over the place.

IMHO the best name for the section would be:

Google Chromecast 2020 (Sabrina)

No confusions here and addresses every part that identifies this device specifically.

Reactions: barbanXDA

resinis

Dec 27, 2007
I would suggest just calling it Google TV

I didnt know it was code names Sabrina until last month when i did some research.
Android TV is currently what its known as, as this will get phased out with the new UI version Google TV.

I absolutely hope not. Google TV UI sucks compared to Android TV. It's basically just a clone of FireTV... which the whole purpose is to sell you ads. The whole thing is setup like a gimmicky interface to make you accidentally click on crap you didn't intend for.

Edit- i take back everything i said about the chromecast 2020. i dont know what the hell was going on the night i set mine up. it was terrible. slow, and half the apps i tried to sideload wouldn't work. the next morning, without doing anything- just left it plugged in, it now works amazing. it does everything my nvidia shield does (even usb support with a Y adapter and hub). of course it wont play games like the shield, but thats not what i wanted it for. there is FINALLY an affordable alternative to the shield. this thing is by far the best Kodi device value wise. if you want gaming, get a shield. otherwise, a chromecast 2020 will do everything you need. the video quality is very good too. the shield with the AI upscaling and crazy good video filters is still better, but its a very close call.

Last edited:

Detilly

Oct 21, 2013
Moto Z2 Play
Google Pixel 3a
Not confusing at all, Chromecast with GoogleTV, but it's not a Chromecast, Chromecast runs an unnamed and unknown version of Android/ChromeOS, "Sabrina" run AndroidTV 10 and GoogleTV is only the launcher, because the GoogleTV OS died in 2014.
So, this device shouldn't be in the chromecast section, but in the AndroidTV.

Reactions: jhedfors

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can we have a separate category for Chromecast 2020 ? The device is fundamentally different from previous versions as well as it has actual android TV/Google TV
    When I hear "GoogleTV" I think of my 10 year old Visio CoStar which I became very aware that it was abandonware about 6 months after release. I think Google bringing the name back was foolish as AndroidTV didn't have the stink of abandonment on it and was slowly (very slowly) getting more recognition.
    Android TV with Google TV luncher , Google TV on Chromecast, branding and confusion all over the place.

IMHO the best name for the section would be:

Google Chromecast 2020 (Sabrina)

No confusions here and addresses every part that identifies this device specifically.
    Not confusing at all, Chromecast with GoogleTV, but it's not a Chromecast, Chromecast runs an unnamed and unknown version of Android/ChromeOS, "Sabrina" run AndroidTV 10 and GoogleTV is only the launcher, because the GoogleTV OS died in 2014.
    So, this device shouldn't be in the chromecast section, but in the AndroidTV.