How To Guide April 2, 2024 AP1A.240405.002 Global - Root Pixel 6 Pro [Raven]

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I thought it might be a sim card issue too when it was only my phone. The annoying part was I went to the T-Mobile store to do a sim swap, but couldn't because I wasn't getting text messages to confirm my account. When I came home and noticed my wife's phone was having the same issue, figured it wasn't a sim card issue.
My bad, I misunderstood. For some reason, I thought it was only your wife's phone that was having the issue even though later in your post you said "we". My mistake!

Strange issue. I'll do some tests between my brother and/or sister and myself. I'm not on T-Mobile, but worth checking anyway. I almost exclusively use Google Voice when I'm not using Google Chat, so I don't do proper text messages often enough to notice.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I thought it might be a sim card issue too when it was only my phone. The annoying part was I went to the T-Mobile store to do a sim swap, but couldn't because I wasn't getting text messages to confirm my account. When I came home and noticed my wife's phone was having the same issue, figured it wasn't a sim card issue.
Tests to and from both my brother and sister worked fine on my Android 13 Stable test. One using Android and Google Messages, and the other using iPhone and whatever they use. :D None of us on T-Mobile, two of us on AT&T, and the third on Verizon.

whatsisnametake2

Sep 15, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
updating to 13 using factory image flash via fastboot as I always do, I'm unclear about this flashing the bootloader to both slots thing. why do I need to do that? if I flash the whole factory image with wipe to the default slot (i've never messed with or changed slots), why is there any risk in that? and my understanding is we now know we can definitely flash 12 back with the 13 bootloader using the force command. what am I missing?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
updating to 13 using factory image flash via fastboot as I always do, I'm unclear about this flashing the bootloader to both slots thing. why do I need to do that?
Check out the information in the OP of this thread regarding not being able to downgrade from 13 to 12, so you should have the 13 bootloader, and indeed the whole Android 13 OS, on both slots.

if I flash the whole factory image with wipe to the default slot (i've never messed with or changed slots), why is there any risk in that?
Because if there is any problem, it's remotely possible you could brick your phone.

and my understanding is we now know we can definitely flash 12 back with the 13 bootloader using the force command. what am I missing?
Yes, you can use Android 12 with the Android 13 bootloader. What you cannot and can never do reliably is use two different major versions of Android such as 12 on slot A, and 13 on slot B, because the apps and app data will be shared between them, and at least one, or eventually both will not work correctly because the app data has been "updated" for the newer version of Android.

Reactions: Lughnasadh
OTAs update the slot that you weren't currently using, and then when you reboot the phone, it boots into the new updated slot and proceeds to apply the OTA to your remaining slot. That was the whole purpose of the A/B slot deal, so you could update without being kept from being able to use your phone, ideally reboot and it reboots right into the updated slot, then proceeds to update the old slot.
Thanks, so with OTA even bootloader is flashed to both slots, right?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You're welcome!

Actual Over The Air update you receive and install automatically, or sideloading?

Actual Over The Air automatic update definitely flashes to both slots. The nature of how two slots works is the OTA updates the slot you're not using first, then when you reboot you're booting into the newly updated slot, and then the OTA applies to the slow you're no longer using.

I don't sideload so I have no idea if there's any difference in behavior. Plus some people haven't had success with sideloading the OTA and have to use another method (either full factory image and/or the Official Google Android Flash Tool.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
No. OTA is an "out of band" update - it's installed to the inactive slot, regardless of whether you use the automatic system OTA, or you sideload the update package.

The only way to ensure bootloader is flashed to both slots is to do it manually.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Actual Over The Air automatic update definitely flashes to both slots. The nature of how two slots works is the OTA updates the slot you're not using first, then when you reboot you're booting into the newly updated slot, and then the OTA applies to the slow you're no longer using.
Not sure this is the case...I don't believe the system does anything to the "old" slot until the next OTA.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Not sure this is the case...I don't believe the system does anything to the "old" slot until the next OTA.
It was definitely the case with the Pixel 1 with the first a/b system. It did this so if for example, you're running slot A before the OTA, the OTA updates slot B while you're running slot A, then you reboot, it boots automatically into slot B, then it updates slot A while you're running slot B. This way, if slot B fails for some reason, it'll boot into slot A (which is already updated) with no issues...hopefully.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It was definitely the case with the Pixel 1 with the first a/b system. It did this so if for example, you're running slot A before the OTA, the OTA updates slot B while you're running slot A, then you reboot, it boots automatically into slot B, then it updates slot A while you're running slot B. This way, if slot B fails for some reason, it'll boot into slot A (which is already updated) with no issues...hopefully.
I mean, I've been wrong before. The Android documents don't mention this but it makes sense to me.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
This is the case. The current slot is unaffected in case there is an error in updating the inactive slot or the inactive slot fails to boot. In such cases, the device will revert to the unaffected current slot. Only on the next OTA will the former current slot be updated.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Interesting. I've never heard of that. Always thought the current slot was unaffected until the next OTA update.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
This is the case. The current slot is unaffected in case there is an error in updating the inactive slot or the inactive slot fails to boot. In such cases, the device will revert to the unaffected current slot. Only on the next OTA will the former current slot be updated.
Easy way to test this...Someone who updated via OTA can boot into bootloader and use fastboot set_active other to switch to the other slot. However - I do not recommend doing this on the Android 13 update until the next OTA.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
"...no partition used by the current slot should be updated as part of the OTA update (including partitions for which there is only one copy)."

I don't see anything in the documentation about updating the former current slot after the device has booted into the new slot. Maybe need to dig deeper...

Eh, I never use OTA's anyway 🙃

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I've never heard of that. Always thought the current slot was unaffected until the next OTA update.
Who knows. I could be remembering wrong. I swear I thought that's what I read about it when I first got my Pixel, and I thought it made sense - once the initially updated Slot B boots successfully, Slot A gets updated to match. After all, I always thought Google wanted both slots to be on the same software as a backup to boot to just in case.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Easy way to test this...Someone who updated via OTA can boot into bootloader and use fastboot set_active other to switch to the other slot. However - I do not recommend doing this on the Android 13 update until the next OTA.
Maybe I'll test it on my unlocked Pixel 1. First I'll flash the full firmware to both slots, then take the OTA and after all success, make comparisons between each slot's Software in Settings. Yeah, I think I'll do that. I don't mind fooling with the old phone.

Edit: Triple posting, self! Shame on me! :)

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'll test it on my unlocked Pixel 1. First I'll flash the full firmware to both slots, then take the OTA and after all success, make comparisons between each slot's Software in Settings. Yeah, I think I'll do that. I don't mind fooling with the old phone.

Edit: Triple posting, self! Shame on me! :)
Yeah this would be a pretty safe idea. I still have my old Pixel 2 that I can try this on as well.

exocetdj

rooted on 12l stock - the method i used to update to a13 was

1 - completely nuke magisk via the app
2 - the device initiated a reboot so as soon as the screen went black i held power and down for fastboot mode - i then connected the device to PC
3 - in "flash-all.bat" i changed "fastboot -w update image###.zip" to "fastboot update --skip-reboot image###.zip"
4 - closed "flash-all.bat" and then i launched it - when finished i was in fastbootd mode - i then rebooted device to fastboot mode
5 - in CMD i typed and enter "fastboot set_active other" and then relaunched "flash-all.bat" - WIN!! as i was booted with all my data previously on A12 intact
6 - i then installed stable magisk 25.2 and patched boot image from A13 and then rebooted to fastboot mode
7 - i then opened CMD once more and typed and entered "fastboot boot magisk-patched.boot.img" which booted the device rooted - finally i directly installed magisk via the app

Top Liked Posts